Ready to go.... install my port for charging in garage

IHScout

First Name
Waid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Expedition
The Rivan EVSE can be hardwired and set for (likely up to) 48A.
It can also be configured with a 14-50 and set to 40A (and likely 32A as well)
I reached out to customer service a moment ago and inquired about using a 14-50 plug on the wall charger. They said that it was not recommended. I assume that it would not be complicated to do so, but I would prefer to use the evse as recommended, so I will probably pass on the wall charger for now.
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
In 2 years that EVSE will be a museum piece.
Even more reason to leave it behind :cool:

I will be curious to see what is available in the not to distant future for home charging.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I reached out to customer service a moment ago and inquired about using a 14-50 plug on the wall charger. They said that it was not recommended. I assume that it would not be complicated to do so, but I would prefer to use the evse as recommended, so I will probably pass on the wall charger for now.
There are dozens of plug in ones available. Unless you particularly wanted one with the Rivian logo you could easily go with one of these.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Even more reason to leave it behind :cool:
Actually the one to ask would be the listing agent. Sometime these things you think of as treasures are detriments to sale.

IHScout

First Name
Waid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Expedition
There are dozens of plug in ones available. Unless you particularly wanted one with the Rivian logo you could easily go with one of these.
Yes. The Rivian logo charger was my preference. I am aware I can purchase others and will do so. I apologize for the multiple posts on this topic.

Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
A wall mounted EVSE with a plug has a few more requirements.
Among them:
  • Must be mounted in a way that allows for tool free removal
  • If it has adjustable amerages, they cannot be readily accessible to the user
  • Required to be on a GFCI outlet and many EVSEs have built in protection that don't play well with those
And combined with the max charge rate being lower on a plug-in unit, I can see why Rivian is saying it is "not recommended".

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

There is a NEMA 60A outlet but a lot of areas don't let you exceed 50A on any individual branch circuit. It's a strange decision IMO. If it's not UL rated to use a connector plug you're also going to be in violation of that. Insurance companies really don't like electrical violations.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
There is a NEMA 60A outlet but a lot of areas don't let you exceed 50A on any individual branch circuit. It's a strange decision IMO. If it's not UL rated to use a connector plug you're also going to be in violation of that. Insurance companies really don't like electrical violations.
Just to be clear I am not suggesting that he put in a 14-60 and buy a unit that plugs into it as that would violate NEC which limits plug ins to 50A (though you can buy 60A plug in EVSE). I was suggesting that if he wants to take out the EVSE he can fill the hole with only the purchase of a 14-60R leaving the 60A breaker in place as opposed to buying a 14-50R and a new breaker as well.

Given that the guy already has the 60A breaker in place he clearly does not live in one of these jurisdictions where branches bigger than 50A are not allowed. But I am curious about such places as I have never heard of this restriction. Can you give a couple of examples of places that do this?

This would, of course, require that any 48A EVSE (60 A breaker) be commissioned for 40A charging max (50 A breaker). How are sub panels handled in these jurisdictions?

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

Just watch lead times on that. As I said in my original post, the from the date I accepted the quote until install was 14 weeks. Electricians are super busy right now.
Yes we are. In my area, if you aren't working, it's because you don't want to work. There about 120 jobs available for electricians in our local.

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
I am sure is has been mentioned before, but I have couple of things to add.

The 10-50 in my area is not allowed in the garage, yet it is allowed indoors for ovens and ranges; the code was 14-50, so it's not like I had a choice. So code in your area might not leave you an option.

My cousin has a 10-50 and when I plugged my 2014 Tesla, it charged just fine. When I got a 2016 Tesla, it would NOT charge on the 10-50. It kept giving me the message to check my power cable is properly plugged in and the port glowed orange. So I can assume that most EVs are sticking to the 14-50, and it's a better choice anyway because you are guaranteed a ground. Older 240v equipment were frame grounded, but that might just not be the best option for a vehicle.

If you have a 10-50 through a hard pipe all the way to the panel, they can just pull new wires;. If you had a whip somewhere in there, they will have to replace that part as well.

Sponsored

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
Just had an electrician come over to asses my situation and needs. Only have 50 Amps going into my garage subpanel. It would be a lot of work and cost thousands to get 100 Amp wire to my garage. So now I have to decide on whether to get the Rivian wall charger (which will still work at a slower rate). Or a third party charger. Any good options you guys could recommend ?

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Just had an electrician come over to asses my situation and needs. Only have 50 Amps going into my garage subpanel. It would be a lot of work and cost thousands to get 100 Amp wire to my garage. So now I have to decide on whether to get the Rivian wall charger (which will still work at a slower rate). Or a third party charger. Any good options you guys could recommend ?
If you're expecting to get 2 EVs and want to be able to plug them both in simultaneously, look at EVSEs that will support load sharing/balancing. Wallbox and Juicebox both have models that do. Others might have recommendations between those or know of different brands that also support it.

With only 50A to the subpanel, you might have to be careful with your loads. Make sure you know how other draws could affect what your EVSE can pull before you start tripping that subpanel's breaker.

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
If you're expecting to get 2 EVs and want to be able to plug them both in simultaneously, look at EVSEs that will support load sharing/balancing. Wallbox and Juicebox both have models that do. Others might have recommendations between those or know of different brands that also support it.

With only 50A to the subpanel, you might have to be careful with your loads. Make sure you know how other draws could affect what your EVSE can pull before you start tripping that subpanel's breaker.
talked to CS and they said the Rivian charger has dip switches so the electrician can de-rate the box. That’s the way I will probably go

I’m 5-10 years when we get another EV, then we may have to rewire everything ?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
I am sure is has been mentioned before, but I have couple of things to add.

The 10-50 in my area is not allowed in the garage, yet it is allowed indoors for ovens and ranges; the code was 14-50, so it's not like I had a choice. So code in your area might not leave you an option.
The 10-50 is an ungrounded outlet so I guess I am not surprised it itsn't allowed in the garage but I am surprised it is allowed in the house. Is it required that the oven/stove be separately gounded (i.e. other than through the plug)?

My cousin has a 10-50 and when I plugged my 2014 Tesla, it charged just fine. When I got a 2016 Tesla, it would NOT charge on the 10-50. It kept giving me the message to check my power cable is properly plugged in and the port glowed orange. So I can assume that most EVs are sticking to the 14-50, and it's a better choice anyway because you are guaranteed a ground. Older 240v equipment were frame grounded, but that might just not be the best option for a vehicle.
I'm confused but it does seem that the 14-50 is the plug for charging in other than hardwired situations.

If you have a 10-50 through a hard pipe all the way to the panel, they can just pull new wires;. If you had a whip somewhere in there, they will have to replace that part as well.
If you have 1 10-50 wired through EMT they should be able to jumper the pieces of conduit in order to make it the protective ground. You shouldn't have to pull new wire.

747 Whalewatcher

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S and Mercedes 450GLS
Occupation
Airline Operations
Yeah, it's a trade off, you can plug in any charging point (or appliance) you want, but you are limited on your draw.

It shouldn't be an issue if you are plugging in when you get home and being ready to roll in the AM, but, I did opt for the hardwired Tesla charger in my house on a 60AMP circuit (48AMP to the vehicle).

Depending on if/when Tesla comes out with a Tesla -> DC Fast converter, I may not need to change my charging point when my Rivian arrives.

...I am not holding out hope though.
I have a Tesla home charger and was thinking this is all I would need to adapt and charge my R1T... Am I misguided?

Lectron - Tesla to J1772 Adapter, Max 40A & 250V - Compatible with Tesla High Powered Connector, Destination Charger, and Mobile Connector (White)
Sponsored