lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

Today had the electricians install my port for charging. Excited to get the R1S in here, but I know it is months away. Regardless the local electricians are on a 14 week lead time for work so glad this is done and I don't have to think about it any more.
Rivian R1T R1S Ready to go.... install my port for charging in garage IMG_1762
Sponsored

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Smart to plan ahead is that a 50A?

OP
OP
lefkonj

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

Smart to plan ahead is that a 50A?
Yes it is a NEMA14-50. They relocated 2 circuits from my main panel to the sub panel and the service module for the generator. The pull was over 150' away, since my panel is on the opposite side of the house from the garage. Would of made me mad if I got the vehicle and then had to wait 14 weeks for home charging.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
Limited to 40A charging on that outlet.
Yeah, it's a trade off, you can plug in any charging point (or appliance) you want, but you are limited on your draw.

It shouldn't be an issue if you are plugging in when you get home and being ready to roll in the AM, but, I did opt for the hardwired Tesla charger in my house on a 60AMP circuit (48AMP to the vehicle).

Depending on if/when Tesla comes out with a Tesla -> DC Fast converter, I may not need to change my charging point when my Rivian arrives.

...I am not holding out hope though.

Sponsored

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
Today had the electricians install my port for charging. Excited to get the R1S in here, but I know it is months away. Regardless the local electricians are on a 14 week lead time for work so glad this is done and I don't have to think about it any more.
IMG_1762.jpeg

Dumb question. What is the difference between what you have and what I have here in my garage? And what plug does the Rivian charger even have ?

Rivian R1T R1S Ready to go.... install my port for charging in garage B7E32486-4DC6-461D-866B-6FC4910CBBEF

IHScout

First Name
Waid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Expedition
Dumb question. What is the difference between what you have and what I have here in my garage? And what plug does the Rivian charger even have ?

B7E32486-4DC6-461D-866B-6FC4910CBBEF.jpeg
Your plug looks to be a nema 10-50, whereas most new plugs, and specifically 50amp evse plugs are nema 14-50. I am not sure of anything different in the accepted amperage or volts. Hope they helps.

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
Your plug looks to be a nema 10-50, whereas most new plugs, and specifically 50amp evse plugs are nema 14-50. I am not sure of anything different in the accepted amperage or volts. Hope they helps.
Just got off of CS with Rivian. They confirmed Nema 14-50 for their charging cable. Looks like I need to update an outlet. Hopefully that won’t cost too much $$

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Just got off of CS with Rivian. They confirmed Nema 14-50 for their charging cable. Looks like I need to update an outlet. Hopefully that won’t cost too much $$
I'm no electrician but you basically have two 120v hots and a common the 14-50 is two 120v hots a common and a ground. if there is a ground in that box you could just change the plug I think.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Depends on what wire was run there. The 10-50R is a three wire, the 14-50R is a 4 wire. I would check to make sure it is 6AWG wire and on a 50 amp breaker at the panel. If there is only 3 wires run to the box from the panel, if will not be up to code to hook up the 14-50R to this.

Sponsored

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
Depends on what wire was run there. The 10-50R is a three wire, the 14-50R is a 4 wire. I would check to make sure it is 6AWG wire and on a 50 amp breaker at the panel. If there is only 3 wires run to the box from the panel, if will not be up to code to hook up the 14-50R to this.
I will hire an electrician when the time is right. I will need one to come in and put the wall charger up as well.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I will hire an electrician when the time is right. I will need one to come in and put the wall charger up as well.
That actually might work for a wall charger, many of them only use 3 wires.

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
I see there are adaptors 10-50 to 14-50 out there. Curious if EVs will accept a charge if an adaptor is being used in this situation. I’m mostly thinking if I go to the in-laws and want to plug in at their shed. I’m guessing it’s the older standard

OP
OP
lefkonj

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

Just watch lead times on that. As I said in my original post, the from the date I accepted the quote until install was 14 weeks. Electricians are super busy right now.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I see there are adaptors 10-50 to 14-50 out there. Curious if EVs will accept a charge if an adaptor is being used in this situation. I’m mostly thinking if I go to the in-laws and want to plug in at their shed. I’m guessing it’s the older standard
That adapter should work, I see some out there specifically saying they work with a Tesla charger.

I would wait and see what they have installed there (unless you already know they have one). The 10-50R is usually for a range, if they use a welder in the shed it might have one but I do not think it is a common outlet for a shed or garage.
Sponsored