Ready to go.... install my port for charging in garage

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
If you're expecting to get 2 EVs and want to be able to plug them both in simultaneously, look at EVSEs that will support load sharing/balancing. Wallbox and Juicebox both have models that do. Others might have recommendations between those or know of different brands that also support it.

With only 50A to the subpanel, you might have to be careful with your loads. Make sure you know how other draws could affect what your EVSE can pull before you start tripping that subpanel's breaker.
Also found out the 240 plug I already have in the far corner of my garage had the wrong gauge wire. Thankfully we never use it. Home ownership can be so irritating ?

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
@747 Whalewatcher Nice!

I wasn't aware they had them out already, that should work for home (looks like all of these converts cap out at 40AMP).

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
The 10-50 is an ungrounded outlet so I guess I am not surprised it itsn't allowed in the garage but I am surprised it is allowed in the house. Is it required that the oven/stove be separately gounded (i.e. other than through the plug)?

I'm confused but it does seem that the 14-50 is the plug for charging in other than hardwired situations.

If you have 1 10-50 wired through EMT they should be able to jumper the pieces of conduit in order to make it the protective ground. You shouldn't have to pull new wire.
For indoors, I am sure is another method of ground, frame grounding was common in older appliances to maybe that's still used.

For the tesla connector, he actually had an adapter for his tesla that was 14-50 to 10-50 to fit his existing 10-50 outlet, all Tesla's come with a 14-50.

I am not aware of the method you mentioned, but I know when we had a fire inspection for a commercial space they made us pull green wire through hard pipe and change all our whips to have a ground wire instead of the 2 wire with the flimsy little ground wire.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
@747 Whalewatcher Nice!

I wasn't aware they had them out already, that should work for home (looks like all of these converts cap out at 40AMP).
As your Rivian will not draw more than 48 amps you don't need an 80A adapter so something like the 50A Tesla tap http://www.umc-j1772.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=99 will serve BUT in reading the description of Tesla Tap's 40A unit they indicate that you can use it to charge at 40 A for up to 3 hours at which time you should drop to 32A. This obviously relates to the intermittent service aspects of the code and I am not sure this approach is kosher. OTOH there is no such caveat attached to their 50A unit.

TeslaTap also have "mini" 80, 60 and 40A adapters in a smaller form factor (no cable)
http://www.umc-j1772.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=160
Sponsored