R1T vs. Ram TRX

R1EV

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Really different lifestyle vehicles. TRX is excessive IMO but I also don't tow or need a particularly large bed. Your money is your vote for the world you want and a cleaner one is important to me.
Sponsored

OP
OP
estprft

estprft

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIT pre-order
Occupation
beer
Clubs

thanks, great responses. I wish I could have both but can only afford one. and yes, the R1T pre-order price is $73K versus TRX of $90K or more, even used. And yes, I "think" I still get the $7500 tax credit with the locked-in purchase offer I did last year. Still tough choices... I have a few weeks to decide.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
Also at the current prices of a R1T ~95k+, it's a hard sell vs a TRX if you don't care about the mileage. For me the TRX, I will never sell. It's got a permanent spot in the garage. The R1T will stay for a while.
That makes sense to me. The TRX is nearing if not at the pinnacle of ICE performance trucks. There will not be many more like it coming from the factory with all the focus on EVs.. I would totally hold on to it.

The Rivian is 1st generation and will continue to improve. There's no reason to keep it when newer versions improve upon it and other new 4x4s continue to push the technology.

OP
OP
estprft

estprft

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIT pre-order
Occupation
beer
Clubs

also, I am in South Carolina, hence the delay in delivery, and there is no service center nearby other than Atlanta, a good 4-4.5 hours away. and Not many EV chargers around here

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
thanks, great responses. I wish I could have both but can only afford one. and yes, the R1T pre-order price is $73K versus TRX of $90K or more, even used. And yes, I "think" I still get the $7500 tax credit with the locked-in purchase offer I did last year. Still tough choices... I have a few weeks to decide.
Because you have the tax credit pricing, I'd say get the R1T and drive it for a while and see what you think. If you want the TRX you'll probably be able to get all your money back on the R1T even with some miles. They are so different it's hard for anyone to know what you will prefer in your lifestyle.

Sponsored

OP
OP
estprft

estprft

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIT pre-order
Occupation
beer
Clubs

and one final concern with the Rivian, what if they go BK? stock down 93%...

Rugbym8t

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram TRX
also, I am in South Carolina
This road trip tool me from Chicago to SC and I can attest that the charging infrastructure sucks heading out to the coast. I was shocked it was so bad. I expected to at least have an EA station in Myrtle Beach. But It was possible, but it did require some advance planning. Day to day though if you have a charger at home, then you will be fine since you don't drive further than a single charge. If you don't have a charger at home, then I would NOT get the R1T. I know people do it, but no way in heck would I do it.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
~ $21 more per 100 miles for the TRX in South Carolina.

I see gas on average is 3.35 per gallon, TRX gets 12.2 MPG, 100 miles is (100/12.2)x3.35=$ 27.46

Looks like electricity is around 14 cents, getting 2.2 miles per Kw, 100 miles is (100/2.2)X.14= $ 6.36

Money is not everything but that is a free lunch every 100 miles…. Or throw That $20 bill in a jar every 100 miles to help buy the new shoes for the Rivian. 😉
I would imagine you need premium for the TRX as it's got a massive supercharger on it. I'm willing to bet you need 93 octane.

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
This feels like one of those best of the old versus best of the new kind of questions.

Back when I got my First Tesla I was doing a similar comparison, but now I refuse not to have an EV.

I still have a Jeep for when that makes sense, but the R1T is a great EV for general purpose use. It's great for road tripping which I do fairly often.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
and one final concern with the Rivian, what if they go BK? stock down 93%...
Not worried about that. The stock is essentially at bottom, but they have their cash. The bigger issue you have is not being near a service center. That could be a big issue when you need inevitable service issues addressed. Might be better off going TRX and then see how It goes with Rivian for a few years. And also - the RAM EV looks pretty great.

Sponsored

OP
OP
estprft

estprft

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIT pre-order
Occupation
beer
Clubs

Not worried about that. The stock is essentially at bottom, but they have their cash. The bigger issue you have is not being near a service center. That could be a big issue when you need inevitable service issues addressed. Might be better off going TRX and then see how It goes with Rivian for a few years. And also - the RAM EV looks pretty great.
Awesome. And yes, I have preorder for RAM EV too lol

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I had both for a while and kept the R1T. It’s just a better daily driver due to the size. That said, if you’re used to driving full size trucks it really isn’t hard to drive and park the TRX. The TRX is more fun to drive, has a beautiful sound and blows the Rivian away off-road (where it can fit), especially at speed. The Rivian is a better mannered road truck and is also a lot cheaper to operate.