Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

I’ve measured 1.6-1.7 mi/kwh with our travel trailer and the truck estimates 200 miles range (large pack, 21” wheels). True that you don’t want to stretch that far so realistically 160-180 mi or 200mi with the max pack should be doable if you choose your trailer well. They also towed a really low profile single axle trailer. But yes, that result is very much trailer dependent so ymmv.
Those are some really really good numbers for a TT. What kind of TT if you don't mind my asking?
Sponsored

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
Clubs

Happier Camper Traveler. Details below
https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...-please-post-your-experience.5602/post-449186

That was from a loop style test with limited miles each way. Curious to see if that holds up over longer trips.
That's pretty good. I see its a smaller unit with a single axle. Also, looks like your at a higher elevation there in Colorado maybe less wind resistance?

Mine is an Apex 245BHS. That unit is a tandem axle ultra lite which is 27.5' long. loaded its about 5,500 lbs. I have done a few thousand miles towing that and its between 1 and 1.2 mi per kwh. The R1T seems to do a little better than the R1S efficiency wise when towing. That's also highway keeping it below 65. At 65 mph its right at 1.0 mi per kwh. At 60 I can pull down 1.2 with the R1T and just slightly less at about 1.15 with the R1S.

I always like to point out towing efficiency because its really pretty poor with Travel trailers. We took that 1200 miles from Maryalnd to Hilton Head, SC and back with the R1S. If all the chargers worked as advertised things wouldn't have been so bad. Stopping every 100 miles or so isn't for everyone. I try to give folks as realistic a picture as possible of what towing travel trailers is like with an EV. Its an adventure I will say that 😎

Rivian R1T R1S R1T ranked above Cybertruck and Lightning in real-world comparison test (Motortrend 3/18/24 review) PXL_20240313_175707898

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

That's pretty good. I see its a smaller unit with a single axle. Also, looks like your at a higher elevation there in Colorado maybe less wind resistance?

Mine is an Apex 245BHS. That unit is a tandem axle ultra lite which is 27.5' long. loaded its about 5,500 lbs. I have done a few thousand miles towing that and its between 1 and 1.2 mi per kwh. The R1T seems to do a little better than the R1S efficiency wise when towing. That's also highway keeping it below 65. At 65 mph its right at 1.0 mi per kwh. At 60 I can pull down 1.2 with the R1T and just slightly less at about 1.15 with the R1S.

I always like to point out towing efficiency because its really pretty poor with Travel trailers. We took that 1200 miles from Maryalnd to Hilton Head, SC and back with the R1S. If all the chargers worked as advertised things wouldn't have been so bad. Stopping every 100 miles or so isn't for everyone. I try to give folks as realistic a picture as possible of what towing travel trailers is like with an EV. Its an adventure I will say that 😎

PXL_20240313_175707898.jpg
Point well taken and you are correct to point this out. If folks want anywhere close to 200 mi of towing range at 60-65mph, they need to choose their trailer very carefully. It looks like the MT folks did just that with their TT choice.

The differences in cross section, length, axle number, and weight between our rigs probably explain most of the efficiency differences we’re experiencing. I suspect in close to that order of importance. There was also person on this forum measuring about 1.6 mi/kwh with a trail manor which I thought was interesting, but that seems like a very unique TT.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
The CT is for folks who think they will be shot at regularly, don't care to see behind them when going in reverse, and want to use their truck as a boat on "not too choppy seas".
Still waiting for the first CT owner to try using it as a boat 😭

"Where did it go??? Tesla said it would float!" :CWL:

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

It's coming.

More deliveries + Elon lies = future shenanigans = entertainment for us.

People seem to REALLY want to test out this vehicle's imaginary specs. :cool:

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
It's coming.

More deliveries + Elon lies = future shenanigans = entertainment for us.

People seem to REALLY want to test out this vehicle's imaginary specs. :cool:
I hope they at least bring life jackets with them o_O

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I hope they at least bring life jackets with them o_O
They will bring "cyberjackets". It's a weighted vest with a photo of Elon on the back. :confused:

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Hopefully it's the same people that have been shooting it with anything larger than a 9mm handgun.

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
Clubs

Point well taken and you are correct to point this out. If folks want anywhere close to 200 mi of towing range at 60-65mph, they need to choose their trailer very carefully. It looks like the MT folks did just that with their TT choice.

The differences in cross section, length, axle number, and weight between our rigs probably explain most of the efficiency differences we’re experiencing. I suspect in close to that order of importance. There was also person on this forum measuring about 1.6 mi/kwh with a trail manor which I thought was interesting, but that seems like a very unique TT.
Weight is not really an issue unless increasing elevation. Its the aero profile as you point out. The extra axle also increases RR. The trail manor, hi lo, anything that is lower profile will be better than a traditional unit. Something like the pebble might be the ticket.

Sponsored

echerod

First Name
Rodolfo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3, BMW i3
Occupation
Finance
I’m confused that they struggled to turn off cruise control. It’s just a push up of right stalk or tap of the brakes.

I too would like a resume though.
I noticed the same thing regarding cancelling the cruise control (both methods you mention work just fine). Even though a resume might be marginally more convenient than having to reset it each time, most likely a separate button would've been required, so it's probably a good decision on their part not to include it.

polonus

First Name
Piotr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 51 Cadillac, Ford Transit Class B RV
Occupation
retired
How did they botch the range so bad on their test? I can easily do 300 miles at 70mph in my quad with all-terrains and large battery pack.
I picked up my R1T quad motor, 20" tires in Atlanta, battery charged to 99% and drove home in Charlotte Area. 260 miles. I had 62 miles left to empty. Traffic was quite busy, so I drove with the flow of traffic, sometimes 70, sometimes 55, sometimes stop-and-go.

MXA121

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Model 3
I love how they picked the Lightning in their previous review against a Quad motor R1T..

Even though their highway tests are lower range than, say, Edmunds' more calculated approach, it's still a realistic example. In my road trips (QM/AT) I get around 1.8 mi/kWh in Conserve at 75 mph. So realistically, it's 200 miles or less between charges.

This Lightning verdict cracks me up 😂
"The safest choice for folks who frequently curse at their phones, computers, ATMs, or smart TVs."