Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

I have a OneUp Equip-D 2" receiver version and it does not require an extender, but I had to use a smaller diameter pin, which is only used to prevent the unit from sliding out in a worst case scenario.

I also have two OneUP cross bar mounts, but it is absolutely not stable enough for my Orbea Rise eBike (43.2lbs), so I only use that for the Transition Spur and the hitch mount for the Orbea. It is a hassle leaving that hitch mount on for all the reasons everyone has mentioned, so I've become a pro at install and removal.....With the Tundra, I just tossed everything over the tailgate........I've seen two people dent the ridge on the R1T tailgate, so no go for me....
Sponsored

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

Great day to ride here in the desert......love my OneUp crossbar mounts and the 2" receiver hitch double as well.....

Rivian R1T R1S R1T and Mountain Biking 20230201_121159

Gee Bee

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Vw tdi golf -chevy SSR-997 Turbo S
Occupation
Design
One up is what was recommended by HPC bicycle manufacturer

Rev XX here with 10k watt
87 lbs
Color is Mexico Blue

range over 80 miles
Speed 78mph so far

Rivian R1T R1S R1T and Mountain Biking 0B4FEE34-EFD7-424D-8CE4-1F7574D96D13

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I'd love any input on tailgate pads y'all are enjoying these days as well as any recommendations for a hitch extender. I currently have a Kuat NV 2.0 rack I use on our Explorer (which works great, can carry 2-4 bikes) but plan on using the tailgate pad mostly with the Rivian.

OP
OP

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
I'd love any input on tailgate pads y'all are enjoying these days as well as any recommendations for a hitch extender. I currently have a Kuat NV 2.0 rack I use on our Explorer (which works great, can carry 2-4 bikes) but plan on using the tailgate pad mostly with the Rivian.
I've been using the Raceface T2 with no complaints. The S/M size fits the tailgate pretty well, and will hold four bikes. The straps will kinda reach around the gooseneck thing to fasten, but I usually just drop it on and let the bikes hold it down.

Sponsored

EveryAmp

Site Sponsor
First Name
EveryAmp
Threads
Reaction score
Website
everyamp.com
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model 3, & Model Y
I've been using 1UP hitch racks on the Model Y and now R1T. On the R1T though I fear accidentally opening the tailgate on the empty rack and messing up the bumper since the rack sits so high on the R1T. To solve that I was considering getting a drop hitch adapter to lower the rack. But now I'm leaning towards a mounting system in the bed and have the tailgate down and gear guard cable for security. Either way the backup camera is blocked... Hoping Rivian adds the ability to use the camera above the rear window as an alternate in the future.

EveryAmp

Site Sponsor
First Name
EveryAmp
Threads
Reaction score
Website
everyamp.com
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model 3, & Model Y
I'm considering something along these lines:

SurlyBurris

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3, 2001 Land Rover Disco II, R1T
I have the standard 1up with the 2" receiver. Love the rack, but it was too close to the tailgate by default. Bought a cheapo 7" hitch extender from Amazon (smallest size I could find) and it was too far out for my liking. My solution was to cut the extender down so the rack fit all the way in per 1ups min requirements and re-drill the pin holes on the opposite side of the extender. Just about the perfect distance out now from the tailgate. I also added a hitch tightener as I can't stand the bikes wobbling in the rearview :)

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I have the standard 1up with the 2" receiver. Love the rack, but it was too close to the tailgate by default. Bought a cheapo 7" hitch extender from Amazon (smallest size I could find) and it was too far out for my liking. My solution was to cut the extender down so the rack fit all the way in per 1ups min requirements and re-drill the pin holes on the opposite side of the extender. Just about the perfect distance out now from the tailgate. I also added a hitch tightener as I can't stand the bikes wobbling in the rearview :)
Maybe this would work?

Curt High-Low Adapter for Tow Bars - 2" Hitches - 4" Rise/Drop - 8" Long CURT Accessories and Parts C59KR (etrailer.com)

Sponsored

SurlyBurris

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3, 2001 Land Rover Disco II, R1T

DavidP-R1TAdventures

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 1989 Alfa Romeo Spider
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Some photos of my Kuat Trio install. Overall I quite like it. I am getting “quick release” bolts for my forks as dealing with the 6mm allen key is a PITA.
The bike does not feel secure sitting on the rack until you get that bolt in. So you have to hold it with one hand while getting the bolt in.
The lock is nice.

Rivian R1T R1S R1T and Mountain Biking E82DC539-2E6C-4505-9E6E-084CAE465DEF

Rivian R1T R1S R1T and Mountain Biking EC20AD02-CD91-49B7-815D-EA7EBB28CFE2

Rivian R1T R1S R1T and Mountain Biking AE8D4EB6-EDEA-4C71-9F1C-299CDA086FBA

Rivian R1T R1S R1T and Mountain Biking 5677FAA2-BC7B-4D1C-BCAC-0C6E87EC5BD3

Rivian R1T R1S R1T and Mountain Biking EFEBEF3D-37F6-47AB-B441-0D841DF62DF5

Rivian R1T R1S R1T and Mountain Biking 60CD3D31-9CDF-4F1D-82BF-7D679CA90554

Rivian R1T R1S R1T and Mountain Biking F2195714-0DB6-4CAE-A970-EBEA9299ECB7

whyasky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
I often carry just my bike to the trailhead so when not shuttling kids or friends (for which I'll probably use a protected pad like the RaceFace T2 referenced in this thread), I'd like to have a simple/quick one bike solution that doesn't drive the sensors crazy. I won't keep my current Rocky Mounts monoline which gets in the way of the camera and sits high enough that I can't open the tailgate at all.

I like the OneUp rack mounted to the crossbars. Clean and relatively simple, though probably impacts efficiency more than hitch racks or pads. I've read some good things about the Bomber Strap but don't ride with anyone that uses it. https://bomberstrap.com/ Anyone have experience with this?

I've got one coming this week. I'm planning to give it a go for a few weeks assuming the fit on the R1T is decent and the finish seems durable. I will report back.
Just an update on this. I've been using the bomber for my mtb and Gravel bikes for the last 4 months. Experience has been essentially flawless and since it doesn't take much room, I just leave it on the truck (quite minimalist). It requires two mini straps that click in and one strap from top tube to handlebar to keep it turned. I've used a bungee on the rear wheel to minimize movement but it's not needed for on road use.

Overall it's a nice option for a single adult bike which is my primary use case. I also just throw my kids three bikes (20-24") in the bed alongside it for short trips to local trails. Use a full pad for multiple adult bikes.

Edit : I have recently checked underneath the pad and tailgate shows no signs of scratches. Also, when installing the pad and using tailgate with pad installed, I need to hold the gooseneck flap to prevent it from loosening the buckle. Not a biggie but if you use tailgate 5x per day, could be a nuisance.

Rivian R1T R1S R1T and Mountain Biking PXL_20230225_161757167

Rivian R1T R1S R1T and Mountain Biking PXL_20230225_161749257

Rivian R1T R1S R1T and Mountain Biking PXL_20230225_161816223

Last edited:

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Just an update on this. I've been using the bomber for my mtb and Gravel bikes for the last 4 months. Experience has been essentially flawless and since it doesn't take much room in just leave it on the truck (quite minimalist). It requires two mini straps that click in and one strap from top tube to handlebar to keep it turned. I've used a bungee on the rear wheel to minimize movement but it's not needed for on road use.

Overall it's a nice option for a single adult bike which is my primary use case. I also just throw my kids three bikes (20-24") in the bed alongside it for short trips to local trails. Use a full pad for multiple adult bikes.

PXL_20230225_161757167.jpg

PXL_20230225_161749257.jpg

PXL_20230225_161816223.jpg
Nice IBIS! MIght start a thread "show us your MTB" so we can see what other Rivian owners own in terms of bikes.

I just ordered this one: CyclingDeal Tailgate Bike Pad - Mountain Bike Carrier Bicycle Rack Cover Protection Mats for Pickup Truck - 52" Wide Fits up to 5 Bikes (amazon.com)

My friend has it on his F-150 and it's a great, high quality pad at a great price. What I have never understood about all the high end pads is there is no padding on the downtube which is the part that ultimately straps in - even in yours, the fork is strapped in. This one has little "cradles" that your downtube fits into and keeps the bike very secure - hoping it fits well on the Rivian. Will report back soon, I take delivery Saturday.

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
Nice IBIS! MIght start a thread "show us your MTB" so we can see what other Rivian owners own in terms of bikes.
Stumpy Evo for me. This is pre-build - it received a set of HSR discs, XTR brakes, and a (bright orange!) cascade link. I think I put the XX1 cassette on after this picture, too.

I can’t wait to get back on mine after the plate in my shoulder comes out in a few weeks … snapped distal end of collarbone. 0/10, do not recommend.

Rivian R1T R1S R1T and Mountain Biking B17BEDBD-7EA6-4884-AF75-7BFC744E0130
Sponsored