Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and 4-Runner
Any other mountain bikers on here?

The R1T seems like the perfect vehicle for it:
  • The bike in the bed, with the gear guard and bed camera for security
  • The frunk for all of the gear I normally carry
  • The gear tunnel for holding a slide out fridge (if it isn't an option, I'll make it myself)
  • The other side of the gear tunnel for holding tools / spares / repair stand / etc
  • An air compressor for keeping bike tires full
  • Ground clearance for remote trailheads
  • Plenty of torque for crossing 12,000 ft mountain passes
  • Room for all of the above plus four adults and four bikes for weekends away or day trips far enough that we carpool
I typically use hitch racks (1up for the last couple of years), and while I won't throw that out, I'll probably switch over to a tailgate pad. It seems like the bed cam and gear guard are pushing in this direction.

The shuttle system mentioned for the camp kitchen seems like it would be useful for tools and the fridge. Like many others, I'm hoping this is sold as a standalone option, of course if Rivian decides to offer the accessories I want, that works for me.

Coming up with a hot water system will also be ideal. I've carried water with 12V pumps in the past for cleaning myself and the bike off, and taking advantage of the battery pack to heat water for doing the same, maybe even with enough water capacity to double as a minimalist outdoor shower, would be worth the effort.

More to come as additional accessories become available over the next few months.

What do you think? Ideas on other accessories or customizations to support mountain biking? If you think the R1S would be better, I don't blame you - I have a large SUV now, and it does have it's advantages. I like being able to carry bikes inside the SUV on long trips and fit a full size air mattress for solo camping.
I just put a DaKine Curve Small on my Rivian and fits/works awesome. The cover doesn’t affect any sensors or cameras, but the bike wheel does (specialized 29er MTB) when in reverse. Bike fits in the bed, doesn’t slide around and its awesome to have the locking capabilities with the gear guard cable. I also have the Kuat trailer hitch so I can go either way if I need the trunk space for trips where I’m hauling camping gear etc.

Rivian R1T R1S R1T and Mountain Biking A7862C1C-50C5-4EC6-B970-8FED9606A4E4
Sponsored

duessell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Chrysler Pacifica PHEV
I've had a 1upUSA rack for years and it feels all the more solid mounted on this truck. That said, it makes the sensors go nuts in reverse and definitely blocks the camera. (It would be nice if you could switch to the bed camera in reverse.) Also, I think maybe someone pointed this out before but the tailgate clearance is very low when the rack is lowered and would not work with bikes on...and maybe wouldn't even work with a fourth bike position on the rack. (This would be a good use case for a software lockout of the tailgate release button.)

Rivian R1T R1S R1T and Mountain Biking 1662376170559

Rivian R1T R1S R1T and Mountain Biking 1662376262911

Rivian R1T R1S R1T and Mountain Biking 1662376283678

I'm also experimenting with a tailgate pad though I want to put some PPF on the tailgate before using it much.
Rivian R1T R1S R1T and Mountain Biking 1662376456332

Rivian R1T R1S R1T and Mountain Biking 1662376711772

Rivian R1T R1S R1T and Mountain Biking 1662376520721

sac602

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner, Lexus NX Hybrid
Clubs

I get anxiety looking at your garage clearance. I hope you can remember to lower the ride height every time you pull in. Hopefully Rivian will add a parking geofence reminder function. I still have PTSD from driving into my garage with my Mtb on a roof rack 10 years ago!

duessell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I get anxiety looking at your garage clearance. I hope you can remember to lower the ride height every time you pull in. Hopefully Rivian will add a parking geofence reminder function. I still have PTSD from driving into my garage with my Mtb on a roof rack 10 years ago!
Indeed, lots of anxiety on the clearance. I did so much measuring over the past 1.5 years and had lots of confirmation of truck height. (I may be the reason the height measurement on the website now includes height with and without antenna. Related, I really wish I could get a shorter antenna.) I'm solid at "low" ride height so I keep auto adjust off.

I have also requested geofencing for ride height on a couple of occasions.

Sponsored

RFC1918

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S, Porsche Cayman S
Occupation
IT
I've had a 1upUSA rack for years and it feels all the more solid mounted on this truck. That said, it makes the sensors go nuts in reverse and definitely blocks the camera. (It would be nice if you could switch to the bed camera in reverse.) Also, I think maybe someone pointed this out before but the tailgate clearance is very low when the rack is lowered and would not work with bikes on...and maybe wouldn't even work with a fourth bike position on the rack. (This would be a good use case for a software lockout of the tailgate release button.)

1662376283678.png

I'm also experimenting with a tailgate pad though I want to put some PPF on the tailgate before using it much.
Hit the trails this last weekend. I have the 1UP Equip-D. Installed it for the first time and noticed the R1T hitch is extremely recessed. When inserting the rack into the receiver you cannot insert it very far to clear the bumper.

Has anyone else experienced this? If I don't plan on folding the rack upright I guess it could be inserted further?

Anyone tried this: 2″ HITCH EXTENDER

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Hit the trails this last weekend. I have the 1UP Equip-D. Installed it for the first time and noticed the R1T hitch is extremely recessed. When inserting the rack into the receiver you cannot insert it very far to clear the bumper.

Has anyone else experienced this? If I don't plan on folding the rack upright I guess it could be inserted further?

It's definitely pretty recessed. I considered an extender but wound up adding a swingout instead (Kuat Pivot V2, although 1UP has a slightly more rugged-looking equivalent).

It's more expensive than an extender, but you get all the benefits of an extender plus the ability to swing your bikes aside at any time to access the tailgate.

Rivian R1T R1S R1T and Mountain Biking 1662504796276

duessell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

I haven't tried that but I do have the hitch bar stop and like it.

https://www.1up-usa.com/product/hitch-bar-stop/

Rivian R1T R1S R1T and Mountain Biking Screenshot_20220906-210839

whyasky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
I often carry just my bike to the trailhead so when not shuttling kids or friends (for which I'll probably use a protected pad like the RaceFace T2 referenced in this thread), I'd like to have a simple/quick one bike solution that doesn't drive the sensors crazy. I won't keep my current Rocky Mounts monoline which gets in the way of the camera and sits high enough that I can't open the tailgate at all.

I like the OneUp rack mounted to the crossbars. Clean and relatively simple, though probably impacts efficiency more than hitch racks or pads. I've read some good things about the Bomber Strap but don't ride with anyone that uses it. https://bomberstrap.com/ Anyone have experience with this?

I've got one coming this week. I'm planning to give it a go for a few weeks assuming the fit on the R1T is decent and the finish seems durable. I will report back.

dduffey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY
I like the OneUp rack mounted to the crossbars. Clean and relatively simple, though probably impacts efficiency more than hitch racks or pads. I've read some good things about the Bomber Strap but don't ride with anyone that uses it. https://bomberstrap.com/ Anyone have experience with this?

I've got one coming this week. I'm planning to give it a go for a few weeks assuming the fit on the R1T is decent and the finish seems durable. I will report back.
The only con may be that you can't fully close the cover if that strap is on (i.e. will it leave a gap to the left/right?).

I really like the ability to just open the cover, throw the bike on, bungie and go. Then unbungie, remove the bike and close the cover.

Someone posted a similar "one bike pad" tailgate cover in a thread but looked pretty thick.

Let us know how it goes!

Sponsored

Zorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
Sorry if covered already, but would a medium mountain bike frame fit in bed if wheels are off? Figured that it would be nice to not have an aero penalty for long distance driving. I can always bring the hitch rack along for when I reach my destination.

Aag12

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Na
Sorry if covered already, but would a medium mountain bike frame fit in bed if wheels are off? Figured that it would be nice to not have an aero penalty for long distance driving. I can always bring the hitch rack along for when I reach my destination.
I fit my 29er in the bed with wheels on! It went corner to corner and the front wheel turned. It wasn't totally upright either. I didn't believe it would fit until I tried it. Not sure what frame size it is, but I'm 6" so it's not a tiny bike

Wefty

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 2008 Fit
Yes I have done the same thing. Bike with wheels off in the bed with the tonneau closed while on the road. Then once I got there used the tailgate pad. I was concerned with security during charging stops if I wanted to leave the car.

Max Power

First Name
Wyatt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T - Replaces F-150 Raptor and Tesla Model 3
I didn't see this thread before I ordered the stupid "It must designed for Rivian if it's on the website" Yakima rack. Needless to say I've requested an RMA to send it back...

Meanwhile the 1Up Roof Rack is clearly the way to go if you want to use the crossbars over bed to avoid camera and sensor conflicts...

1Up Hitch rack with hitch extension FTW if hauling multiple bikes...

Add in the gear tunnels and under seat storage and this truck rips as a mountain biker's dream car. The camp speaker makes its appearance at post ride beers... My only nit to pick is not enough water bottle holders inside for various Yeti bottles of larger sizes.

Rivian R1T R1S R1T and Mountain Biking 69057106871__D521320B-3871-4A79-9445-5B961AC62B15

Beachbum

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Another Riv Blue and SC combo :rock:
Simple solution for a single MTB. I have a Santa Cruz Hightower XL with 29s that just fits diagonally. I also add a bungee cord between the right fwd corner to left back corner over the frame. So far, so good.

Rivian R1T R1S R1T and Mountain Biking 63163FF2-BB80-4BC8-BDD6-D3D736551063_1_105_c
Sponsored