Sponsored

R1S Split Hatch/Tailgate

fotoflux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Onewheel
Is this confirmed or is that assumption based on R1T tailgate not being powered? Honest question here as I had not heard and was hoping it would be powered for both top and bottom half.
I asked CS awhile back, they said the top half is powered, the bottom half is not.
Sponsored

RIV206

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 R1S, '23 Model Y
Clubs

owned an X5 with a split hatch and loved it. Bottom could not be opened without the top open as it latched thru it. Im assuming the R1S is the same. Also liked how it prevented scratches on the bumper and wasn't as high as you think for reaching over it.

OP
OP
RexRemus

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

Never realized split hatches were so beloved, I am hoping I can feel the same when I get my R1S in 12 years. And I'm hoping having things set to a low ride height will help the missus feel like it's not so bad lifting a case of soda or gallon jugs over it

IlliniRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
I asked CS awhile back, they said the top half is powered, the bottom half is not.
I loved the split hatch on my Range Rover.

The fact the bottom half is not powered is disappointing. I know there are limits but it makes it cheap compared to some other SUVs in the same class.

Sponsored

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
One of the advantages of the split hatch/tailgate is that as you open the top part it does not protrude backwards as much, so that it's more likely you can open it within your garage without having to open the garage door, and similarly if say you are parked with another car or wall behind you.

I didn't think of that as a benefit. I "may" have to back mine into the garage as I don't really want to run the J1772 charge cable all around the vehicle and have it stick out where I would have to walk by it when plugged in. If parked head in, the charger is positioned at the passenger rear bumper. If backed in, the charger is in the perfect location. I was worrying about being able to open the hatch when backed in, but this might not be a problem with the split hatch.

For the record, I had an LR4 with the split hatch. The split was oddly shaped and I never really cared for it. I think that the R1S split looks better/more functional.

MadMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Tesla Model 3
Our driveway is slightly uphill as you pull up next to the house in our Jeep Grand Cherokee. My wife likes to hit the farmers market in the warmer months and more than once has come home with fresh produce only to open the back tailgate to have watermelons or apples or whatever roll out and down the driveway. Yes, more than once …which does raise other issues… but you solve the problems within your control. I like a split tailgate.

Longhorngirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Actuary
Our driveway is slightly uphill as you pull up next to the house in our Jeep Grand Cherokee. My wife likes to hit the farmers market in the warmer months and more than once has come home with fresh produce only to open the back tailgate to have watermelons or apples or whatever roll out and down the driveway. Yes, more than once …which does raise other issues… but you solve the problems within your control. I like a split tailgate.
This happened to me This summer. Bought a watermelon and opened the tailgate and the watermelon rolled out and split open when it hit the driveway.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
Tesla does not do a powered front trunk. But there are several aftermarket companies who make powered front trunk lifts that can retrofitted.

Hopefully someone will do the same for the lower portion of the R1S tailgate.

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

Serious Question: Why is it important for you all to have a powered lower portion on the splitgate?

My thoughts:
- It doesn't seem large/heavy enough to add much value.
- The additional cost and complexity for this piece does not seem worth it.
- It is not like a sliding van door that I can open from the drivers seat, kids hop out, and I can close. Why? Because the size of this space with stuff in the back would not lend itself well to an automatic closing function without me already being back there. ie the soccer balls would have rolled out into the space to prevent closing or they may have fallen out altogether.
- Chance of accidentally opening. We've had the tailgate on our Navigator fully open twice while we were inside a restaurant. Keys were in my pocket and I sat or pressed against the fob just right. My wife has hit the wrong button in the Navigator a few times meaning to pop the glass and opens the entire thing. Haven't lost any watermelons, but plenty of things have fallen out.

I just see too many annoyances with it for ME. Help me understand what I am missing!

Sponsored

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

Serious Question: Why is it important for you all to have a powered lower portion on the splitgate?
I just see too many annoyances with it for ME. Help me understand what I am missing!
I agree with you. Not only its not necessary, it actually hinders.

As is, I find most electronic tailgate too slow to open and close, needing to wait for the bottom to open electronically is simply annoying.

Glad Rivian made it manual lower gate. It can open and close quickly. Our XC90's lower gate was manual too and it was simple to use and great.

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
I'm curious about OP's perceived downsides. To me it seems like all benefits, but I'm open to that being challenged. For what it's worth my X5 has a split tailgate, my wife's Velar does not. We both prefer the split design for a lot of the reasons already stated here, but maybe I'm missing something on the detriment side.

I will say the lack of a powered lower gate is a bit disappointing. This used to be a limitation on the X5 and the Range Rovers with split gates, but they figured it out. Not sure why Rivian passed on it. Same with the power tailgate on the R1T. Not dealbreakers, just an odd limitation relative to competitors.

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

I'm curious about OP's perceived downsides. To me it seems like all benefits, but I'm open to that being challenged. For what it's worth my X5 has a split tailgate, my wife's Velar does not. We both prefer the split design for a lot of the reasons already stated here, but maybe I'm missing something on the detriment side.

I will say the lack of a powered lower gate is a bit disappointing. This used to be a limitation on the X5 and the Range Rovers with split gates, but they figured it out. Not sure why Rivian passed on it. Same with the power tailgate on the R1T. Not dealbreakers, just an odd limitation relative to competitors.
I think the biggest downside is that for shorter people it makes it a bit more difficult to reach all parts of the cargo area, just like the tailgate of the R1T. With a traditional hatch, when opened you can stand right up against the bumper. With a split hatch, you're pushed back further away from the cargo area. Not a huge amount, but could be enough for a shorter person to have trouble reaching the far back of the cargo area.

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
I think the biggest downside is that for shorter people it makes it a bit more difficult to reach all parts of the cargo area, just like the tailgate of the R1T. With a traditional hatch, when opened you can stand right up against the bumper. With a split hatch, you're pushed back further away from the cargo area. Not a huge amount, but could be enough for a shorter person to have trouble reaching the far back of the cargo area.
This makes sense, though it is funny my wife and I are both short (5'4" and 5'0") and still prefer the split gate.

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
I am personally thrilled with the decision to split it and have a tailgate + liftgate arrangement. This is a perfect arrangement for hauling long things (skis, lumber, etc) at the same time as little things in the back that I don't want sliding out. For me, the only thing better would have been french doors a la the Isuzu Trooper.
Sponsored