Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Audi Q7, Ford Expedition, Porsche Cayenne
Occupation
self-employed code-slinger
Clubs

With all the hype of the R2, R3, and R3X, the R1 seems to have faded into the background. I have also been noticing that the R1 dual motor seems to be the more desirable version of the R1. I am now beginning to wonder if quad motor Rivians will soon pass into history.

Brian
Considering the cost-cutting prime objective, indeed the quad motor days are numbered esp. given that better performance can be had via tri-motor if CT is any indication.
Sponsored

Eric9610

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Tesla MY, MB E350, MB S550
Clubs

So the residual on my R1T QM is $55k in 3 years. Will be a tough call on what’s a better option. Still leaning towards R1 for a lot of reasons!

Just remember that the enduro motors have a significantly shorter warranty over the Bosch units. Also Bosch has a significant advantage in motor history and reliability! I suspect the Bosch QM will maintain value even when an enduro version comes out. Also the R1 units using the 2170 cell is more proven for long term use than any 40 series cell.

Dcavalheiro

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S Quad / Tesla Model Y Performance
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Quad will go down while rivian is burning cash and need to prove production and delivery numbers for investors, when the company matures, the high profit vehicles top of the line should surge back

Probably like few here mentioned with a quad Enduro (if my calculations are right, the quad Enduro would be able to reach 1200+HP)

TheRiviAnswer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

Quad motor will migrate from Bosch to in-house motors with a combined total horsepower over 1,000.

The quad motor will be positioned as a performance variant with a more significant performance gap between the dual motor and the quad.

Those interested in off-roading, rock crawling, and overlanding may still want the quad motor.

Sponsored

Hayseed_MS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
I don't really care. I owned a DeLorean for 31 years.
You should be hot for the Cybertruck then for nostalgic reasons, eh? :CWL:

Thinking about ordering an R1S and this is my hold-up - the QM or PDM. Still deliberating...

KeithPleas

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX, Porsche Boxster
Early adopters had the special launch green color and free all-terrain wheel upgrades
And don't forget the Launch Edition comes "Complete with special interior badging" -ironically that's one I CAN see from inside the vehicle (where I spend the majority of my time when driving, YMMV).

JayinNJ

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, R1S LE Canyon Red
With all the hype of the R2, R3, and R3X, the R1 seems to have faded into the background. I have also been noticing that the R1 dual motor seems to be the more desirable version of the R1. I am now beginning to wonder if quad motor Rivians will soon pass into history.

Brian
Rivian Trucks seems to have faded as well. It doesn't look to be in their future. Maybe it is because they only have one direction to go with the truck platform and that is larger and more expensive, which will not be profitable or high volume for them.

Sponsored

Robin

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bicycle
Occupation
Waitress

Brian
I hope not 🥺

riviantrent

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1T / 23 Model Y / 01 911 Cabriolet
Occupation
IT Database infrastructure architect
Clubs

I love my Quad R1T - be crazy to think an awesome truck like this, that was awarded Truck of the year in 2022, can fade away

SRO

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
retired
As soon as MB launched the EQG Electric G wagon, and they allow tank turn Rivian unlocks this feature. One of the primary reasons I selected the QM over DMP was the stability and torque vectoring capability. Also no need for a differential on a QM. All the 2m and 3m version need a locking differential on the front and rear to get the same functions. I also don't think Rivian has a differential on the DM units.

What I see in the future is Rivian rising price on R1 via new motor configurations and the R2 takes over the lower end.

They have made it clear the R1 will be the halo version so expect price increase and performance upgrades. The R1 platform is actually cheap compared to the cars it cross shops with.
I agree the R1 is like the model S.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
I have a feeling the quad motor Bosch versions will make these early R1's highly sought after in about 10 years.
Not what you prefer to believe, but I don't think traditional auto trading/collecting rules apply to BEVs. I think only low VIN, low mileage AND pristinely preserved examples will have collector value. Most of us do drive ours (because it's a joy to drive). So, we're out.

Hillbilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boat and tractor
Occupation
Hillbilly
Not what you prefer to believe, but I don't think traditional auto trading/collecting rules apply to BEVs. I think only low VIN, low mileage AND pristinely preserved examples will have collector value. Most of us do drive ours (because it's a joy to drive). So, we're out.
Agree to disagree. Any reasonably well cared for vehicle that develops a cult following for niche applications will enjoy strong resale and ever increasing value over time. You can't convince me that the R1T isn't exactly that. It's precisely because it's a battery powered 4 electric motor vehicle that will sustain its appeal.
Sponsored