Sponsored

Possibly Pulling Trigger On Used R1T. What Would You Do?

JaeTheDev

First Name
Jae
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model S LR Refresh
Occupation
Web Developer & Digital Marketer
looking for some feedback, which I understand could be a bit biased as I’m asking on a Rivian forum. Lol.

I have a 21 Tesla Model S Long a range Refresh, 14700 miles, and is pretty mint. I have the ability to trade it in for exactly my payoff and grab a silver on black R1T adventure edition with just over 600 miles on it. The asking is around 100k. Id have to put down 10k and my payment due to the times and APRs through the roof, would hop up $100 a month.

im caught as I’ve been a Tesla owner for some time, as I’ve stated in prior threads I’ve owned 4. I love the tech, etc. I never used FSD though. The yoke isn’t an issue, as I actually like it.I don’t travel often in my vehicle so the charging network wouldn’t hurt me too bad. My wife has a Model Y as well for traveling when we do.

What would some of you prior or present Tesla owners due if you could make this happen as well? Interested in feedback.

Pics included to show what’s going and what would be coming.

Rivian R1T R1S Possibly Pulling Trigger On Used R1T. What Would You Do? E2F3BB52-6F6C-4715-B099-49B993E0F38E

Rivian R1T R1S Possibly Pulling Trigger On Used R1T. What Would You Do? 3C469BF7-D291-4770-8009-737603BF6645

Rivian R1T R1S Possibly Pulling Trigger On Used R1T. What Would You Do? 9155A052-0FED-42ED-9E2C-337790F47657

Rivian R1T R1S Possibly Pulling Trigger On Used R1T. What Would You Do? 53736F13-D367-4763-A2DD-8D618E1D03B3
Sponsored

Timo

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2500 cummins | 1994 FZJ80 | 2021 Bolt
do you need a truck?

OP
OP
JaeTheDev

JaeTheDev

First Name
Jae
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
do you need a truck?
I’m a web developer that works 90% from home post COVID. I might not even need a vehicle. 😂

I do find myself needing a truck a few times a year though. Nothing daily or even weekly though. My wife really loves trucks though so she digs it. Sons in college and plays football, as well as a 12 year old in peewee. Tailgating seems fun with it.

I’m more concerned on keeping my S and having the market bottom out even more on it and be upside down in a year when my R1S might be ready for me.

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Ioniq 5, Lucid Air Touring
You could just as easily be upside down on the R1T in a year as the Model S. Used car prices are still insane and could collapse anytime. R1Ts with 15k miles could be selling for $70k in a year.

Timo

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2500 cummins | 1994 FZJ80 | 2021 Bolt
Makes sense. It might seem to be a simplistic question, but even with the tonneau a truck isn't as practical as most vehicles. I have a diesel Ram for towing, but we spend our winters in the desert camping and our summers with a boat.

If the R1S and R1T were both available it would be a no-brainer for me. I'd get the 1S every time. You already have a ride you love for all the right reasons. Unless you really want or need a truck it may be a case of "shiny new object" that you end up regretting. I certainly can't blame you for the desire, however. :)

Sponsored

Tatnai

First Name
Tatnai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot EX-L AWD
Occupation
Physician
I’m a web developer that works 90% from home post COVID. I might not even need a vehicle. 😂

I do find myself needing a truck a few times a year though. Nothing daily or even weekly though. My wife really loves trucks though so she digs it. Sons in college and plays football, as well as a 12 year old in peewee. Tailgating seems fun with it.

I’m more concerned on keeping my S and having the market bottom out even more on it and be upside down in a year when my R1S might be ready for me.
I think your wife will end up driving the R1T and you'll be stuck with the MY...

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
Not having my R1 yet but owning a Tesla and awaiting my Rivian I have been following this forum closely. If you choose to go R1 know there’s gonna be some growing pains with service software etc. it’s a new car from a new car company. If you’re ok with some of that beta nature of the purchase I’m sure you’d be happy with the Rivian. They are completely different vehicles having driven both. I always prefer the high ride height of a suv/truck to a low sedan, but that’s a personal preference.

OP
OP
JaeTheDev

JaeTheDev

First Name
Jae
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
You could just as easily be upside down on the R1T in a year as the Model S. Used car prices are still insane and could collapse anytime. R1Ts with 15k miles could be selling for $70k in a year.
Very well could be. I see the Model S with 30+K being dreadful for resale at that point though, no matter what.

Makes sense. It might seem to be a simplistic question, but even with the tonneau a truck isn't as practical as most vehicles. I have a diesel Ram for towing, but we spend our winters in the desert camping and our summers with a boat.

If the R1S and R1T were both available it would be a no-brainer for me. I'd get the 1S every time. You already have a ride you love for all the right reasons. Unless you really want or need a truck it may be a case of "shiny new object" that you end up regretting. I certainly can't blame you for the desire, however. :)
Great points and well stated. Not sure I’d regret it, but you never know!

Last edited:
OP
OP
JaeTheDev

JaeTheDev

First Name
Jae
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Not having my R1 yet but owning a Tesla and awaiting my Rivian I have been following this forum closely. If you choose to go R1 know there’s gonna be some growing pains with service software etc. it’s a new car from a new car company. If you’re ok with some of that beta nature of the purchase I’m sure you’d be happy with the Rivian. They are completely different vehicles having driven both. I always prefer the high ride height of a suv/truck to a low sedan, but that’s a personal preference.
Im 6-1 and 325 lbs. I should have stated that in the OP. I totally like the higher ride height as well. Egress and ingress would be much better in the Rivian for me, but isn’t horrible in the S.

Last edited:

Sponsored

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

For what its worth, I like my R1T much better than our Model X, but our X is a 2018 that's missing things like one pedal driving and ventilated seats.

If I was choosing between the refreshed S and the R1T, I think it would come down to whether I wanted a truck over a sedan. If I didn't envision ever using the "truck" aspect of the R1T, I'd probably just keep the S and wait for the R1S.

Mathme

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech
Here's another line to think about:

This particular truck looks to be LA Silver with FE (or maybe BM but hard to tell from the pics) and 21" wheels. That puts the current new price on this truck at a little under $90-93k. There's a good chance that this person got the pre-March 2022 pricing + the federal and state rebates on it as the 1st owner (that's a very healthy profit). I' also not sure what RI taxes are like, but out here in CA, there's sales taxes and DMV taxes that are directly tied to the selling price of the car (and DMV lasts for as long as you own it).

If you don't need the truck right away, maybe put in a reservation on a new one for about a year from now. You won't get the federal tax rebate but may still qualify for a state rebate, and would still get a truck for cheaper than you would by buying this one.

Current resale values on these Rivian is very high but as they get more plentiful over the next year or two, prices will go down and depending on your downpayment, you could be in a position where you're upside down (owe more against it than it's worth).

The emotional desire for the newest car out there is tempting, but financially it's may be hard to justify.

Madsen203

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Manager
Im 6-1 and 325 lbs. I should have stated that in the OP. I totally like the higher ride height as well. Egress and ingress would be much better in the Rivian for me, but isn’t horrible in the S.
Spend the 10K on Orbera instead. 🫣

OP
OP
JaeTheDev

JaeTheDev

First Name
Jae
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
For what its worth, I like my R1T much better than our Model X, but our X is a 2018 that's missing things like one pedal driving and ventilated seats.

If I was choosing between the refreshed S and the R1T, I think it would come down to whether I wanted a truck over a sedan. If I didn't envision ever using the "truck" aspect of the R1T, I'd probably just keep the S and wait for the R1S.
Great feedback, but playing devils advocate, I believe my daily would get more use out of a truck for dump runs, wood for floors we’re doing, etc randomness truck stuff than a large three row SUV. Reason being, our kids are 18 and 12, and we never do the group voyage thing these days. Looks wise, I’m R1S for sure.

AaronTV

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2022 Model 3, 2024 Mustang GT
Occupation
Self Employed
Having never owned a truck prior to the R1T, both my wife and I have been surprised by how often we have used the bed. It hasn't been daily or even weekly, but when we need it (sandy beach items, hauling home improvement supplies, helping my niece move, hanging out in it on a pleasant day while charging on the road) it's been lovely to have.

Traditionally, the trade off in fuel economy would have still made owning a truck a bit silly for us but the Rivian makes a ton of sense as a great all around vehicle.
Sponsored