trevtremaine

First Name
Trev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Model Y - R1T Adventure+MaxPack
Clubs

As much as I like Rivian's product line, I have to say I'm having second thoughts on a purchase at this point. From the time I placed an order, I've been watching Rivian progress in some ways but stagnate or fall behind in others. It's nice to see production ramp up however I see issues: items such as the tonneau cover, removal of the Max Pack option, removal of other accessories, and problems with the wireless charging pads that seem unresolved amongst others. So far as I can tell, there haven't been any significant changes to the vehicle itself to amend known issues including a number of vehicles having suspension problems, (although I can't say that definitively it's a serious issue since there's no recall notices). I cannot find information on what Rivian is doing to address changes necessary to keep up - particularly with battery technologies as I've heard that the bricking issue is significant.

I am contemplating cancelling my order which is due to arrive late in 2023 until I see a couple of milestones happen: improvements to the onboard processors and camera setup, move to using a heat pump and improvements in cabin conditioning, conversion to the Tesla plug for simplicity's sake, a first clear sign of revisions necessary to deal with complaints I've seen from new owners already, and perhaps a changeover to internal motors.

I would like to hear others opinions and read what you think.
Sponsored

cbrcanuck

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I had the same concerns after waiting nearly two years, the closer my date got the more nervous I became. Took delivery in March, have loved it ever since. Even with the little hiccups we've had to deal with, it's the nicest and the most fun vehicle I've ever owned. By a long shot.

No vehicle is perfect, and so far I haven't had to deal with anything major. If I had a major problem, I might be singing a different tune though.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I had the same concerns after waiting nearly two years, the closer my date got the more nervous I became. Took delivery in March, have loved it ever since. Even with the little hiccups we've had to deal with, it's the nicest and the most fun vehicle I've ever owned. By a long shot.

No vehicle is perfect, and so far I haven't had to deal with anything major. If I had a major problem, I might be singing a different tune though.
+1 for this.

There is always something on the horizon we can convince ourselves is worth waiting for. Get your 800hp electric sled and enjoy life right now.

Epicloop

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
would like to hear others opinions and read what you think.
I was on the fence as well after 4+ year wait, the fuel savings alone made it worth it $.14/kw so 0-100% for $20 vs $1.9L so fill up $180.
Though not a perfect vehicle I am very satisfied with the R1S.
Sounds like you are s early reservation holder so the price is right.

wristybusiness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Tesla Model X
As much as I like Rivian's product line, I have to say I'm having second thoughts on a purchase at this point. From the time I placed an order, I've been watching Rivian progress in some ways but stagnate or fall behind in others. It's nice to see production ramp up however I see issues: items such as the tonneau cover, removal of the Max Pack option, removal of other accessories, and problems with the wireless charging pads that seem unresolved amongst others. So far as I can tell, there haven't been any significant changes to the vehicle itself to amend known issues including a number of vehicles having suspension problems, (although I can't say that definitively it's a serious issue since there's no recall notices). I cannot find information on what Rivian is doing to address changes necessary to keep up - particularly with battery technologies as I've heard that the bricking issue is significant.

I am contemplating cancelling my order which is due to arrive late in 2023 until I see a couple of milestones happen: improvements to the onboard processors and camera setup, move to using a heat pump and improvements in cabin conditioning, conversion to the Tesla plug for simplicity's sake, a first clear sign of revisions necessary to deal with complaints I've seen from new owners already, and perhaps a changeover to internal motors.

As much as I would love to see those changes, I don’t see most of those happening for years, as they would require R&D, securing deals with suppliers, retraining/rehiring, retooling to be done. Ofcourse by the time these changes are made the R2 vehicles will be announced and probably not far away.

At this point, Rivian wants pre-March 1st holders off their books so they would be only too happy to have someone cancel who has early pricing.

As one of the other posters mentioned, there will always be a feature coming down the pipeline - e.g. I got my brand new Model X a few months ago only to find out I missed the upgrade to HW4 by a few weeks. I have no regrets as I needed the vehicle at that point and incremental changes seldom have a material effect a vehicle’s overall experience.

Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
No vehicle is perfect. If you feel this one is a fit for you then you will really like it. The R1T has been the best vehicle I've ever owned and I've had mine since last September. There is nothing else on the market that fits my needs and wants better than an R1T still or even on the horizon. It is the highest performance that can still fully function as a truck vehicle on the market.

For my use case I needed a truck but wanted a sports car. With my R1T I am really close to both needs being fulfilled 100%. What I need a truck for the Rivian is perfect. Hauling it is a touch small but I have a 7X16' enclosed trailer to make up the difference that the Rivian pulls as if it was made to do so even loaded to the gills. I only tow locally so range isn't an issue. And as far as sports cars go it handles better than a typical truck but physics still wins there but speed and responsiveness is there 100%.

Every year something else is going to come out and every year stuff is going to improve. If you're waiting for the best vehicle you can find you'll always be waiting for a year or two. Just understand what the R1 series is and what it isn't and if what it is works for you then you'll be happy with it as is. Everyone that's touched mine has been impressed with it.

Ripped

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Dual Max
Occupation
-
You can only make that decision, but we have the benefit of getting a lot of feedback from others as the R1 series evolves.

To economize both environmentally and footprint-wise, it's a task to find a versatile vehicle that does everything we want.

There are some glaring things that need to be fixed, but I think the Rivian team is progressing in some areas, and as well on the tech side.

You could potentially change then rechange your configuration, to push off your delivery, rather than leave the current configuration locked-in.

GRC

First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
still figuring it out
Clubs

I'm on the same fence with a delivery date of apr-jun 24 and hoping some of these issues get addressed by then...adding android auto/carplay support seems like an easy one and that is an important feature for me...almost up there as a showstopper from purchasing a R1S.

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
You seem to have some legitimate concerns. Rivian is also a relatively new concern. We have to either accept that "bleeding edge" adoption or wait for something we are comfortable with. It sounds like you want to wait and I don't see anything wrong with that. All the best.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I'm on the same fence with a delivery date of apr-jun 24 and hoping some of these issues get addressed by then...adding android auto/carplay support seems like an easy one and that is an important feature for me...almost up there as a showstopper from purchasing a R1S.
Well that’s probably not going to happen in the near future.

Sponsored

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y

Wait for a 2024 model.

OP
OP

trevtremaine

First Name
Trev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Model Y - R1T Adventure+MaxPack
Clubs

Wait for a 2024 model.
2024 or 2025 ideally for a majority of what I'm concerned about, but I don't think I'll have a choice in it since I've essentially got the locked-in lower price - can't have my cake and eat it too. Certainly a fair bit to mull over but to me the 2 biggest would be the heat pump and inclusion of the Tesla plug without needing an adaptor - it also means not having to convert my home charger or always carrying around the adaptor. I think those vehicles without those 2 items will lose a bit more value as time goes on.

I've got a little time to put a decision together but I appreciate all the feedback.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
I've said this before and will again.
If an R1 fits your needs and appeals to you and you have early pricing then you'd be CRAZY not to take it due to it not having some idealized perfect build spec. If in 2025 there is a vehicle that appeals to you more than you'll be money ahead on trade having taken the early pricing.

Rivian's R1 vehicles foundations are very robust. I've have mine for 15 months and 35K miles and still love it every time I drive despite it not being perfect.
If you want 800V, a heat pump and AA/CP I think your only option currently is a Taycan which I actually like a lot but the AWD versions start around $112K I believe and they have substantially less range.

aAlpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, 4Runner
If you want 800V, a heat pump and AA/CP I think your only option currently is a Taycan which I actually like a lot but the AWD versions start around $112K I believe and they have substantially less range.
Or an Ioniq 5/6 or Kia EV6 or the upcoming EV9.

electriclove

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X, S and Roadster. Ford Transit Electric.
Occupation
Self-employed
Heat Pumps are more efficient, indeed, but it’s not a night/day difference, it’s a few % when you are talking about a 8000lb vehicle where 90+% of your energy is going to the motors. Heat Pump, in other words, makes a small improvement in a small segment of the total energy used, in the end it is not a major improvement. 70mi range Nissan Leafs had them 10yrs ago, their range still sucked…
Sponsored