On 21" Tires . . . .

Condor

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Rivian R1S
Do we need to worry about the load difference (115 vs 116)?
Sponsored

Bigeasy70075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Tundra, Wrangler
Do we need to worry about the load difference (115 vs 116)?
115 load to 2679 and 116 to 2756......so total weight difference of 308lbs for all 4 tires. probably will be sufficient (115 can handle 10,716lbs over all 4 tires) but can't say for sure. Not a tire guy...

Laurent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
If you get the 20"s you can swap the tires at some point for the same all season tire that's on the 21's "pirelli Verde all season" have them in 275/60 R20. may even get a little better range than the 21's because of he smaller tire size.

https://www.pirelli.com/tires/en-us/car/catalog/product/scorpion-verde-all-season-plus-ii/275_60-r20
I asked Pirelli customer service how the new Scorpion AS Plus 3 compares with the Scorpion Verde in terms of snow traction and rolling resistance. Here's their answer:

"The Scorpion AS Plus 3 is the successor to the Scorpion Verde All Season Plus II, which has now been discontinued. The Scorpion AS Plus 3 should perform comparably or better than the Plus II in the snow as well as rolling resistance.
Thank you,
Pirelli Consumer Affairs"

nfrank

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I'm curious if the 15% degraded range with 20" AT tires would then match the 21" range if the AT tires are replaced with all-season highway tires. This would get me the best range without the anxiety of having a custom sized tire.

Condor

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Rivian R1S
I'm curious if the 15% degraded range with 20" AT tires would then match the 21" range if the AT tires are replaced with all-season highway tires. This would get me the best range without the anxiety of having a custom sized tire.
I 100% agree. I’m not wiling to sacrifice range but I would love to have options.

Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
115 load to 2679 and 116 to 2756......so total weight difference of 308lbs for all 4 tires. probably will be sufficient (115 can handle 10,716lbs over all 4 tires) but can't say for sure. Not a tire guy...
116 to 115 isn't gonig to make a serious difference.

Here's the math:
R1T GVWR is around 8500 lbs, or approx 4250 per axle. A tire with 115 load provides 5358 lbs per axle. Subtract 20% for Working Load Rating (it's a safety margin). That gives you 4286 lbs. per axle, or 8572 lbs total. How 'bout that - right back at the GVWR.

You could drop down a few more if you know you are never going to max out the load. But keep in mind that 5 male adults (5x200lbs) and some stuff in the bed and/or a trailer tongue weight (500 lbs) could get you close to GVWR. I personally would not go below tires that meet GVWR.

Of course, some people exceed GVWR (I've never done that ?) but with the safety margin and a understanding what you are doing (speed and temperature), a couple hundred pounds over isn't going to be an issue.

Last edited:

BoltEVowner

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
West Georgia, dangerously close to Alabama
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt EUV, Chevy Volt, RAV4, Winnebago, R1T
Occupation
retired physician
I asked Pirelli customer service how the new Scorpion AS Plus 3 compares with the Scorpion Verde in terms of snow traction and rolling resistance. Here's their answer:

"The Scorpion AS Plus 3 is the successor to the Scorpion Verde All Season Plus II, which has now been discontinued. The Scorpion AS Plus 3 should perform comparably or better than the Plus II in the snow as well as rolling resistance.
Thank you,
Pirelli Consumer Affairs"
I would like to know how these AS 20 inch Pirelli's compare in rolling resistance to the 21 inch AS Pirelli's specifically designed for Rivian...will similar range be achieved, and recover the lost 10-15% range loss of the AT tires? I want the 20 AT tires, but also want something for longer range when off-roading is not desired. I don't want to purchase 2 sizes of rims...

Also, will Rivian void the warranty if one purchases the 20 inch AT tires, and then switches them out for these AS tires for better range? It has been a couple of months since a CS chat on this issue, and they were NOT recommending anything other than the stock Rivian tires at that time, but would not comment about warranty issues.

Would be nice to know if anyone has received any definitive communication from Rivian on this issue, as many of us are wanting to avoid being stuck with the odd 21 inch size tires just to get better range on the road.

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
If I have snow tires on a heavy-duty commercial vehicle, do I need to carry chains?Yes. There is no exemption for heavy-duty commercial vehicles (over 6,500 pounds gross weight) equipped with snow tires. Chains must be installed on heavy-duty commercial vehicles whenever chain controls are posted.
Anecdotal and obviously not complying with the letter of the law, but when I had my Sprinter in the Tahoe area for the storm in early 2019, I got the "4 fingers?" wave from the CalTrans chain check guy to which I replied by nodding and holding up 4 fingers back, and he waved me right through.

The 22.5' length, 170" wheelbase van GVWR is about 8550. I was worried they'd ask us to chain up, but never did. We had real winter tires on that 4x4, and she was a beast. Helped a few people out of tough spots that weekend.

I really don't think they're going to give you a hard time with a mid sized pickup, regardless of the weight. Yeah, you could get cited for a chain violation if you're in an accident -- but that's true regardless of weight because you're supposed to chain up before you lose control of your vehicle, 4WD or not.

r1t_kev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Crosstrek
Also, will Rivian void the warranty if one purchases the 20 inch AT tires, and then switches them out for these AS tires for better range? It has been a couple of months since a CS chat on this issue, and they were NOT recommending anything other than the stock Rivian tires at that time, but would not comment about warranty issues.
I've never worked with a manufacturer that would void the warranty for swapping out a tire - that said, I've never worked with an EV manufacturer. The typical warranty language is, if your modification can be blamed for a failure, you're likely out of luck. If a failure is unrelated to your modification, all is well. Rivian can make strong recommendations about which tire to use, and by virtue of their design they've limited the options already, but I doubt the warranty is in play for a tire swap.

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
For me at least, range is king. I'm going for the 21s because of this. If Rivian offered the 20 inch wheels with AS tires as a separate option to the AT tires then I might consider the 20s. Biggest issue I have with the 21s is finding chains that will fit it.

Sponsored

Gsxr150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F
This thread hasn't been touched for a while...any new developments on 21" tire options?

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
This thread hasn't been touched for a while...any new developments on 21" tire options?
I think the TLDR is "no"... I'm actually hoping someone will create a similar list of all 20" aftermarket wheels that'll fit on the Rivian with all its crazy offsets. Seems like it'll be easier to get stock 21s and find a 20" wheel to put winter tires on. I just don't want some crazy expensive custom wheel.

Gsxr150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F
I think the TLDR is "no"... I'm actually hoping someone will create a similar list of all 20" aftermarket wheels that'll fit on the Rivian with all its crazy offsets. Seems like it'll be easier to get stock 21s and find a 20" wheel to put winter tires on. I just don't want some crazy expensive custom wheel.
Thanks yep, that's why I created that other post...just want to make sure there wasn't anything ground breaking. Boy...looking rough on 21" options.
Sponsored