Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I am really torn what to do about the tires. I live in a place where true snow tires are a must and even run with studded snow tires because my driveway is a steep hill of pure ice much of the winter.

But I dont offroad and would generally be fine with regular road tires (and prefer the range). But the lack of snow tire options for 21" makes me nervous and I currently have the AT 20"s configured.

Would love to hear any thoughts y'all have.
I've always had another set of rims for my winter tires.
Sponsored

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

id recommend get the 20s and then switch them for all season tires to get some of the 10-15% range loss back. 2nd choice is to go for the 22s if you dont plan to do anything other than light off-roading like dirt/gravel. and you only lose 5-10% range. id avoid the 21s because as CS told me, they are literally the only car in the world with that particular wheel size.

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
I've always had another set of rims for my winter tires.
But like Winter one set and another AT?

Or aftermarket set of 20" wheels + snow tires and get the r1t delivered with 21"s?

Are there any concerns with putting aftermarket 20" wheels on? Someone mentioned the speedometer being off, would that apply here?

OP
OP
mgc0216

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

"My two cents. I live on the central Oregon coast and commuted . . .

The point I am/was making is that while the Volvo XC90 is not a Rivian R1T, the GRV weights are pretty close. The route I was driving, Hwy 101 to OR 18 to OR 22 is often called the deadliest route in Oregon and for good reason. The road suffers year-round from the extreme weather and is two lane with no barrier for the bulk of the drive. Lot's of head-on and t-bone opportunities for the adventurous, along with tourists who don't know the road and/or how to drive safely in bad weather conditions.
I live in Tigard, and Lincoln City is our preferred costal destination so totally get what you're saying about that stretch of road. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, they were most helpful.

Sponsored

r1t_kev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Crosstrek
But like Winter one set and another AT?

Or aftermarket set of 20" wheels + snow tires and get the r1t delivered with 21"s?

Are there any concerns with putting aftermarket 20" wheels on? Someone mentioned the speedometer being off, would that apply here?
As long as the overall diameter of the tire is the same, you should be able to install any wheel size you want without affecting the speedo. I'd be concerned about finding a set of aftermarket wheels that are capable of withstanding a 7000lb vehicle with 900 ft/lbs of torque though - without breaking the bank.

Personally, I opted for the 20s due to the looks, function (range penalty aside), and additional ride comfort of a taller sidewall.

Side note: data from TireRack shows the stock AT tire is speed rated to 130mph, which is pretty unique for the style/construction. There are no other tires listed, in the factory AT size, with a similar load rating that have the same speed rating.

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
As long as the overall diameter of the tire is the same, you should be able to install any wheel size you want without affecting the speedo. I'd be concerned about finding a set of aftermarket wheels that are capable of withstanding a 7000lb vehicle with 900 ft/lbs of torque though - without breaking the bank.

Personally, I opted for the 20s due to the looks, function (range penalty aside), and additional ride comfort of a taller sidewall.

Side note: data from TireRack shows the stock AT tire is speed rated to 130mph, which is pretty unique for the style/construction. There are no other tires listed, in the factory AT size, with a similar load rating that have the same speed rating.
Yeah I have to 20 ATs configured as of now as well. I really dig the looks of 20 AT and AT bright.

But I think ideally for my use case I would want 21" Road and a separate set of aftermarket studdable snow tires. My current plan is to get the 20 ATs and swap them for 20 studdable snows. But I'd like the ability to swap to 21" Road in the Spring.

It seems there are options on tirerack for 20" studdable snows that are rated for the weight but are themselves heavier tires. But, I am not sure how to find the right wheels. I know the bolt pattern matters but I am not confident I know enough to be sure I was finding the right wheels.

I think my delivery window after switching to Adventure+Large R1T is Q4 '22, so I would want to be ready to swap to snow tires quickly for the winter.

What I really want is the 20 wheels only for my snow tires, then the 21" Road wheel+tires.

Do y'all think Rivian will allow folks to buy an extra set of wheels + tires?

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
This may have been discussed, but at least on TireRack, there is only this 1 option for the 21”, Perilli is the single option for the 22” due to load index, and ~ 40+ options for the 20” plus more if you go to a 60 series tire.

edit: from memory, I think the wear ratings are 20” 640, the 21” is a 500 and the 22” a 400? The 22” will be awesome but wear like a soft eraser.

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
I have read that the 21" tires are the sweet spot for range on the R1T, and moving to the 20" tires can cost up to 15% (I believe that's what I saw on these forums)

I also vaguely remember reading that the 21" tire that Rivian was using was a custom (or at least fairly uncommon) size.

Are these things true? If I wanted to go with 21" tires to maximize Range (appearances be damned!) am I going to be able to find a good set of winter tires (say Blizzaks or the like) to swap to come November? Does anyone know the actual size of the 21" tires they're using?
Be sure to do lots of homework before swapping out non-OEM (non-Rivian) wheels and tires. Rivian and Perelli have designed things for a HEAVY vehicle that has lots of torque and acceleration. With non-OEM wheels and/or tires on your R1, you'll be boldly going into uncharted territory. One without any data on performance, endurance, safety etc.

If things go well, Rivian will sell enough R1 vehicles to attract reputable tire makers and, in a few years, we'll have more choice.

Sponsored

Drterreur

First Name
Francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model3 Dual motor
Occupation
Healthcare
edit: from memory, I think the wear ratings are 20” 640, the 21” is a 500 and the 22” a 400? The 22” will be awesome but wear like a soft eraser.
Actually it's 600 for 21" and 500 for 22"

Bigeasy70075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Tundra, Wrangler

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
If you get the 20"s you can swap the tires at some point for the same all season tire that's on the 21's "pirelli Verde all season" have them in 275/60 R20. may even get a little better range than the 21's because of he smaller tire size.

https://www.pirelli.com/tires/en-us/car/catalog/product/scorpion-verde-all-season-plus-ii/275_60-r20
That's exactly what I'm thinking. I put them both on the Tiresize.com to compare the 21" with the 275/60/20...diameter is almost the same, revs/mile, but also you get an additional .5" of sidewall with the 20".

Bigeasy70075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Tundra, Wrangler
That's exactly what I'm thinking. I put them both on the Tiresize.com to compare the 21" with the 275/60/20...diameter is almost the same, revs/mile, but also you get an additional .5" of sidewall with the 20".
and not as expensive. $215 per tire

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
To 21 or not to 21. That is the question. Who said having choices is a good thing. I have been struggling with this too. I am thinking the reason 21s cost less is not just forged rims on 20s. It must cost less to Rivian for helping with the monopoly so we can pay more for it later when it is time to replace. If that was not the case Rivian would offer 20s with road tires. Conspiracy theories asside, has any LE’s passed up on the free upgrade and taken delivery with 21s? I wonder if the noise and ride comfort difference with 20s are noticeable.

Rivian R1T R1S On 21" Tires . . . . 1641703025687

Rivian R1T R1S On 21" Tires . . . . 1641703341560
Sponsored

Last edited: