Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Is buying the rivian wall charger worth it for a first time buyer? Or are there other wall mounts that work just as good or better?
There are a bunch of good EVSEs that will work. The benefit to the Rivian-branded charger is:

1. $500 if purchased with your vehicle — this is an excellent price for the specs and warranty.
2. WARRANTY!
3. Integration with one Rivian app for both vehicle and charger.

Other EVSEs will work just as well, but most have less warranty, may cost more, and won’t integrate with a single app. If they offer any app services it’ll be through a different app/account than you manage your Rivian vehicle.

If I already had a good EVSE, I wouldn’t replace it with the Rivian EVSE…. But if you don’t have an EVSE then I think the Rivian one is a good choice for most people.

The big feature that you can get on some (but not most) EVSEs that Rivian doesn’t seem to have is the ability to coordinate charging with another EVSE. This feature is useful for households with multiple EVs and an electrical panel that doesn’t have enough capacity to charge both at the same time.
Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Is buying the rivian wall charger worth it for a first time buyer? Or are there other wall mounts that work just as good or better?
$500 (if ordered with the vehicle) for a 48A "Smart" EVSE is a very good deal. You can save a little by giving up the connected features, but I think most will find it worth it to spend a little more. The 30% Tax Credit helps as well

The included 32A cord will likely be plenty for most people's daily needs, but many like to keep it in the vehicle. A wall mounted unit with the handle "holstered" near the charge port is super convenient.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
When it gets closer to time to buy you can check but as of now it is a decent buy at 500 for a 48 amp charger with a 5 year warrenty. If you do not buy with vehicle it is 700.

HimuraMOdo

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Blue R1T Adventure+22" ; 14 Durango
Occupation
Engineer
Ah bummer. I planned to install the charger on the ceiling and this guide shows it's not possible.

Sponsored

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Does anyone know of any Rivian branded L2 home chargers in use?
I'm curious how well they are performing, what charging options are available with smart features etc.? Seems like at least a few of the current deliveries would have gotten one installed but I haven't heard of any reviews.

monzarottie

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, MB Sprinter 4x4, R2 Reservation
Occupation
Retired
Does anyone know if Rivian’s EVSE is Energy Star certified? My power company offers a $450 rebate if so. Non Energy Star certified EVSE only get $150.

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
I agree with all of the positive things being said here. I had one as part of my pre-order but had to drop it because my wife got a Volvo XC40 Recharge and we needed to get a good EVSE sooner. I asked CS if I could get my EVSE sooner than my delivery and they said no.

FWIW, I went with the Clipper Creek HCS-50 as my alternative since it is more than enough for the Volvo and is the exact same one Rivian is used at the service centers.

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
How easy would it be to replace a Tesla Wall Charger (hardwired) with one of these guys? For someone who typically doesn't mess with electricity.
Easy to kill yourself. let A Pro do it and be safe.

Wefty

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 2008 Fit
I am having my charger installed this week. My electrician is good and I trust him but don't know how many wall chargers he has done. What are the key points I should tell him or that I should look out for?

Thanks

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
What are the key points I should tell him or that I should look out for?
There is only one thing in installing one of these that he may not be familiar with and that is the programming DIP switches. Be sure he sets them for the size of the circuit in which the unit is being installed. The other thing that seems to get reported fairly frequently is forgetting to connect the ribbon cable to the front panel.

Wefty

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 2008 Fit
Thanks, the default is 48 amps and a 60 amp breaker right? As long as my panel supports it is that what I should use?

BoltEVowner

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
West Georgia, dangerously close to Alabama
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt EUV, Chevy Volt, RAV4, Winnebago, R1T
Occupation
retired physician
Thanks, the default is 48 amps and a 60 amp breaker right? As long as my panel supports it is that what I should use?
👍

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Don't know what the default is but if it's going on a 60 A circuit then the DIP switches should be set for a 60A circuit. Usually the EVSE commissioning choices are labeled with the circuit size rather than the max output current (which will be 80% of the circuit size).

Wefty

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 2008 Fit
I really appreciate the help. The Rivian process has been insane.
Sponsored