Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Every time I think about that early Tesla Model S that made the Weather Channel after hitting something on the freeway in Seattle, I'm even more convinced that a full protective sheet to augment the standard offering makes sense. I may never go rock crawling, but the battery is not to be trifled with.

Road debris and hidden objects can bite you at any time. Dented panels and scraped parts are like broken bones and skinned knees. When I'm riding a bike, hiking in the mountains, or slipping around on foot in mud, snow, or ice, I'm fixated on protecting my head if I go down. Damaging your brain can ruin a perfectly good day, or end your life. I look at the battery the same way. Lose it, and you're done. I'd rather have more protection and travel anywhere with less worry. The front tow hooks are just a bonus.
Great analogy with biking — protect your grape.
Sponsored

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Every time I think about that early Tesla Model S that made the Weather Channel after hitting something on the freeway in Seattle, I'm even more convinced that a full protective sheet to augment the standard offering makes sense. I may never go rock crawling, but the battery is not to be trifled with.

Road debris and hidden objects can bite you at any time. Dented panels and scraped parts are like broken bones and skinned knees. When I'm riding a bike, hiking in the mountains, or slipping around on foot in mud, snow, or ice, I'm fixated on protecting my head if I go down. Damaging your brain can ruin a perfectly good day, or end your life. I look at the battery the same way. Lose it, and you're done. I'd rather have more protection and travel anywhere with less worry. The front tow hooks are just a bonus.
Very good points. Added off-road package back to my configuration. Should have probably half a year of deliveries before they get to me and I can decide then if its worth keeping or not.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Great analogy with biking — protect your grape.
Yes, indeed. What I find even when walking around in slick or icy conditions is that it's still wise to prepare for a break-fall in the event that gravity sneaks up on me.

Let the arms and legs take the brunt, but keep the CPU that controls everything safe. I do enough damage to my brain when seated. I don't need to splatter it like this weekend's Jack-o-lanterns on November 1st.

Good braking prevents bad breaking.

Sponsored

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Yes, indeed. What I find even when walking around in slick or icy conditions is that it's still wise to prepare for a break-fall in the event that gravity sneaks up on me.

Let the arms and legs take the brunt, but keep the CPU that controls everything safe. I do enough damage to my brain when seated. I don't need to splatter it like this weekend's Jack-o-lanterns on November 1st.

Good braking prevents bad breaking.
Pray for me. I live north of Jackson, in big snow/big bear country and today woke up to a clear ice deck that I thought was wet. ?

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

In other words, “Buy Once, Cry Once”.

I just changed my color from Rivian Blue to Green. Then dropped the charger and cross bars. I can get them separately. This allowed me to add the off road package and keep the price under $74000.

eggpaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt, 2021 Acura TLX
Occupation
Business Owner

I just changed my color from Rivian Blue to Green. Then dropped the charger and cross bars. I can get them separately. This allowed me to add the off road package and keep the price under $74000.
An LE? Did you add the spare?

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
This allowed me to add the off road package and keep the price under $74000.
Why do people do this?
1) We don't know what (if any) changes will be passed regarding the Tax Credit.
2) You can change your configuration at any time. When Rivian requests that you finalize your order, only then do you lock in your configuration. AFAIK, no-one on the forum has gotten to that stage yet.

If, with your first Guide contact, Rivian tells you delivery in 2021, you'll need to change back to what you really want (which can/will impact your delivery timing). If they give a window that includes 2022, you can change up until the time they ask for more $$.

Unfortunately, it is likely that any legislation passed will leave lots of unanswered questions that will only be resolved once the IRS prepares the 2022 forms and filing instructions (late 2022 to early 2023).

This is a bit like not configuring a LE - no real upside, just limits your options later. If you configure what you really want, you can change it before ordering if need be to get under any price cap. Changing back to your desired configuration later could create delivery timing issues.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Pray for me. I live north of Jackson, in big snow/big bear country and today woke up to a clear ice deck that I thought was wet. ?
When I lived in S.E. Idaho and visited in Flagg Ranch between GT and Yellowstone NP's, I always made sure to bring good traction boots, hiking sticks, and a couple of slower friends. I always made sure the friends had plenty of their favorite candy in their pockets. Money well spent!

I had some close calls! Luckily, I met new people to hike with. ? ?......?

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Who knows how the final bill may look, if it ever gets passed. That said, if it does pass as talked about, you'll feel wise to have added the off-road package. You can always add the other stuff later, but not that extra shield!

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
Who knows how the final bill may look, if it ever gets passed. That said, if it does pass as talked about, you'll feel wise to have added the off-road package. You can always add the other stuff later, but not that extra shield!
Yep. Kind of a bummer for the R1s launch folks (like me) that you can't drop to get under 74k.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Exactly. Heck, if they raise that limit to $80K, I’ll get the adventure pkg.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

superdavePA

First Name
Dave