First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
I'm less worried about the range impact (your rim choice will have a vastly larger impact), and more on the payload impact.

I like the idea of the extra protection (Semper Paratus... best to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it), but I really need it for those hooks (to tie down the noses of my kayaks).
Sponsored

Jason C

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Launch edition
If one chooses to install aftermarket tow hooks. My guess is installation will be a pain. I assuming you have to unbolt the standard skid plate in order to access the mounting points for the tow hooks. If it is one solid piece running front to back it will be pretty heavy.

Jason C

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I live in Colorado and our routine winter plowing of snow can easily result in mountains of rock hard ice/snow that has frozen/melted/refrozen into solid boulders. I have seen more than once in the past for one of these to severely damage the transmission casing, oil pan, or other sensitive parts on the underbelly of a vehicle.

This is why I had off-road skid plates on my Xterra and is a key part of why I am getting the off road package on my R1S.
When I talked to the guide about the off road package I specifically brought up this situation. I've hit a few solid ice boulders with my FJ cruiser. Both times I remember saying to myself the skid plate just paid for itself. That being said the guide told me the stock armor will be able to handle ice boulders no problem. I just wish they had a vehicle at the event with out the off road package so I could make a comparison between the too.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Why? To provide extra grip to the bottom of the truck so you can stick to any rocks that hit it? It also seems like a waste that'd inhibit any aerodynamic benefits of the plate.
Mostly for appearance, because I don't like shiny metal on my vehicle but also to prevent it from getting badly scuffed. I have a hard time believing it would ha e that significant of an impact on aerodynamics.​

Jason C

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forgot to mention the guide also told me the EPA range test vehicle did not have the off road package. When I asked what the range hit would be with the off road package he said there is no official number.

Sponsored

staples

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Zero FXS, Tesla Y
Clubs

Why are these decisions so hard? I just put the off road package back on my configuration this week. But all this chat has me reconsidering. I wanted to have it if I ever needed it, rather than being sorry I didn't have it. I thought the hooks look good on the front of the truck (but maybe they can just be added after the fact). And the future-proof-ness of having it (call it resale or optimism of moving someplace more adventurous than Chicago).

I live in Chicago and Mt. Rivian is the closest thing to a hill within 200 miles, so I probably won't need it for 99+% of my driving. I have the 21" configured currently, and consider there is always the option to buy a set of 20s if I want to convert to a more off-road worthy setup.

I should probably just take it back off.

Blur1t

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch, Subaru Cross trek
Occupation
Enrolled Agent
I live in Colorado and our routine winter plowing of snow can easily result in mountains of rock hard ice/snow that has frozen/melted/refrozen into solid boulders. I have seen more than once in the past for one of these to severely damage the transmission casing, oil pan, or other sensitive parts on the underbelly of a vehicle.

This is why I had off-road skid plates on my Xterra and is a key part of why I am getting the off road package on my R1S.
Yes good idea in snow states. My parents rented a car in Colorado and did just that. My dad hit some snow and ice and it punctured the oil pan. Needless to say his insurance bought a new car for the rental company. Not a fun trip.

eggpaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt, 2021 Acura TLX
Occupation
Business Owner
When I talked to the guide about the off road package I specifically brought up this situation. I've hit a few solid ice boulders with my FJ cruiser. Both times I remember saying to myself the skid plate just paid for itself. That being said the guide told me the stock armor will be able to handle ice boulders no problem. I just wish they had a vehicle at the event with out the off road package so I could make a comparison between the too.
Having both vehicles at the event would make too much sense and make things too easy for preorder holders.

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

YES, to the protection. Set’s Rivian apart among EV’s. A challenge to the competition — match this standard. I agree!

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I'm also in the should I add it or not boat. I've driven in snow twice in the past 10 years. I don't plan on going off road at all. But you never know what might drop on the freeway. Hopefully there are some LE editions without the extra protection so we can see what it looks like.

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I'm also in the should I add it or not boat. I've driven in snow twice in the past 10 years. I don't plan on going off road at all. But you never know what might drop on the freeway. Hopefully there are some LE editions without the extra protection so we can see what it looks like.
Every time I think about that early Tesla Model S that made the Weather Channel after hitting something on the freeway in Seattle, I'm even more convinced that a full protective sheet to augment the standard offering makes sense. I may never go rock crawling, but the battery is not to be trifled with.

Road debris and hidden objects can bite you at any time. Dented panels and scraped parts are like broken bones and skinned knees. When I'm riding a bike, hiking in the mountains, or slipping around on foot in mud, snow, or ice, I'm fixated on protecting my head if I go down. Damaging your brain can ruin a perfectly good day, or end your life. I look at the battery the same way. Lose it, and you're done. I'd rather have more protection and travel anywhere with less worry. The front tow hooks are just a bonus.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

From my understanding, the additional protection is only in front of and behind the battery pack. The battery pack is protected on all models. From what I saw at the Hub in Venice, the underbody is all a thin (3-5mm?) carbon fiber. It doesn’t seem like it would add much weight. I also am not sure what’s behind the carbon fiber, because I wouldn’t want to rely only on that. Looking forward to Munro taking one apart.
I hope Sandy confirms that the Off-Road package does, in fact, provide a second layer of battery pack protection. I also hope he comes up with a suitable test of its ability to prevent damage.

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
News about the proposed winch would help make the decision as well. If the winch can be added later and you just want the tow hooks function it might be prudent to just wait for the integrated winch? Of course this opens up even more questions:
- Can you add the winch to the off road package?
- Can you add the winch if you don't have the off road package?
- Will it cost more than the off road package?
- etc, etc.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
News about the proposed winch would help make the decision as well. If the winch can be added later and you just want the tow hooks function it might be prudent to just wait for the integrated winch? Of course this opens up even more questions:
- Can you add the winch to the off road package?
- Can you add the winch if you don't have the off road package?
- Will it cost more than the off road package?
- etc, etc.
I don't know the answers to all three questions, but the answer to #1 is yes, you can add the winch to the off road package, even after delivery.
Sponsored

Last edited: