First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru outback
Occupation
Healthcare
I’ve been going back and forth on getting the off-road package. I live in an area that would use this but it would be a very rare trip. Has anyone heard how much the stated range with the large pack degrade by getting the off-road add-on?
Sponsored

mwexler2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, Prius Plug-in
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I specifically asked CS this question yesterday. Josh said they don’t know yet.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
If you EVER think you'll benefit from the enhanced underbody shield, the hit to range doesn't matter, as your only alternative is risking a hard hit/strike offroad that may cost you the full price of your R1T, plus gear, plus going to the back of the line to replace it.

If you don't think you'll ever need the shield, then the range question becomes more interesting. Some people will want the front hooks. $2k is already a steep price to pay for those, and any appreciable hit to range makes that even more difficult to stomach.

I'm curious to see service info and/or what aftermarket companies come up with. Adding hooks for substantially less cost would be attractive for many.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Are you going to be crawling over large rocks? If not, you don't need the additional skid plates. You can probably justify the recovery points but you could also simply add a recovery point to your tow hitch. Here is an example of one you could use.

https://factor55.com/product-category/hitch-receiver-shackle-mounts/

I'm probably getting the off road package, but I live in Colorado and go off road a lot. I also crawl over some decent sized rocks. IMO I think you can safely skip it.

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
If you EVER think you'll benefit from the enhanced underbody shield, the hit to range doesn't matter, as your only alternative is risking a hard hit/strike offroad that may cost you the full price of your R1T, plus gear, plus going to the back of the line to replace it.

If you don't think you'll ever need the shield, then the range question becomes more interesting. Some people will want the front hooks. $2k is already a steep price to pay for those, and any appreciable hit to range makes that even more difficult to stomach.

I'm curious to see service info and/or what aftermarket companies come up with. Adding hooks for substantially less cost would be attractive for many.
There's always an underbody shield protecting the battery. I think the skid plates from the OR package are more about protecting from cosmetic damage on the edges.

Edit: I might be incorrect on that as the description makes it sound more like a full extra layer rather than what Gase was talking about in interviews way back, but still, the standard underbody shield is no joke. They were testing it by dropping it from two feet on metal spikes. I still think the OR package is more about wanting to have that extra layer you feel okay about scratching the heck out of on rocks, etc. You shouldn't feel super-vulnerable without it.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, VW ID.4, R1S on preorder
Clubs

There is a chance that the added weight is partially offset by smoothing out more of the underbody and improving aerodynamics. We just don’t know at this point.

Jason C

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Launch edition
I went to the hub event in Venice, CA. I asked the guide if by adding the off road package will I take a hit in range. He said definitely, the added weight of the skid plate will decrease the range.
He then asked me what trails I planned on taking my R1T on. I told him the only real trail my R1T would see would be a fire road for camping. Definitely no rock crawling. Maybe a few times a year snow and ice. I mostly like the look of the recovery hooks.
He told me the off road package is not worth getting in my case. He said the stock underbody protection is going to be more than enough protection.
That being said I’m still on the fence. Thinking long term resale wise.

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
I went to the hub event in Venice, CA. I asked the guide if by adding the off road package will I take a hit in range. He said definitely, the added weight of the skid plate will decrease the range.
He then asked me what trails I planned on taking my R1T on. I told him the only real trail my R1T would see would be a fire road for camping. Definitely no rock crawling. Maybe a few times a year snow and ice. I mostly like the look of the recovery hooks.
He told me the off road package is not worth getting in my case. He said the stock underbody protection is going to be more than enough protection.
My main reason for the off-road package is that I like the look of the hooks.

My secondary reason is that I imagine myself pulling little old ladies out of ditches and snow piles like 5 or 6 times a year.

But mostly it’s the looks.

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
My main reason for the off-road package is that I like the look of the hooks.

My secondary reason is that I imagine myself pulling little old ladies out of ditches and snow piles like 5 or 6 times a year.

But mostly it’s the looks.
Have they switched the hooks from yellow (yay) to silver (neh)?

R1Simon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
…Definitely no rock crawling. Maybe a few times a year snow and ice. I mostly like the look of the recovery hooks.
Same. Underbody protection is overkill for my use, but the hooks could come in handy. Really wish this was a separate add-on.

Sponsored

R1T7777

First Name
CaliSurfer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Propagandist

From my understanding, the additional protection is only in front of and behind the battery pack. The battery pack is protected on all models. From what I saw at the Hub in Venice, the underbody is all a thin (3-5mm?) carbon fiber. It doesn’t seem like it would add much weight. I also am not sure what’s behind the carbon fiber, because I wouldn’t want to rely only on that. Looking forward to Munro taking one apart.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
I've only seen the yellow hooks paired with a winch. I think that'll be a future option. May include rear hooks too.
I'm 99.99% sure the rear hooks are gone. And 95% sure the yellow is as well.

Jason C

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
From my understanding, the additional protection is only in front of and behind the battery pack. The battery pack is protected on all models. From what I saw at the Hub in Venice, the underbody is all a thin (3-5mm?) carbon fiber. It doesn’t seem like it would add much weight. I also am not sure what’s behind the carbon fiber, because I wouldn’t want to rely only on that. Looking forward to Munro taking one apart.
They told me the additional protection from the off road package goes from front to back, covering everything. It's an additional plate that they tested by dropping the vehicle on a single 2" square rod. That is over 8,500 lbs being dropped and all the force absorbed within a 2" square and still protect the batteries. Pretty crazy if you ask me.

Jason C

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Same. Underbody protection is overkill for my use, but the hooks could come in handy. Really wish this was a separate add-on.
I'm hoping an aftermarket company makes a tow hook kit (hooks and bumper panel). The front bumper with the tow hooks has an opening. Hopefully that panel can easily be swapped out.
Sponsored