Sponsored

Not liking one pedal driving

BigNerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Model Y SR, 22 Leaf, 22 Chevy Silverado
I found OPD difficult when I first got my Y and decided not to even use it, but even Tesla's lowest mode (Creep), regen braking still was apparent (esp to my passengers who would complain of motion sickness).

Part of this issue is that Telsas don't have a mode that allows coasting that most people are used to in ICE vehicles. But once you figure out ā€œfeatheringā€ the gasā€¦ errrā€¦ accelerator pedal, it starts to makes sense.

Now Iā€™m all in on OPD and also compare it to manual transmission where you use ā€œdownshiftingā€ to control speed instead of the brake. Our Leaf has basically 2 modes of regen (not counting Eco and B drive mode) and the non-regen mode is very close to ICE driving which is probably what the OP is looking for in the Rivian.

I still drive my ICE and I wish it had a hold mode for red lights (esp because it has auto stop, where the engine shuts off when stopped) but I also wish the Tesla had a coast feature that did not kick in regen so I could take my foot off the pedal when going downhill or traveling at high speeds and not wanting to slow down.

I think the OP just has to keep playing around with OPD, but hard for me to say without ever have driven a Rivian.
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Part of this issue is that Telsas don't have a mode that allows coasting that most people are used to in ICE vehicles. But once you figure out ā€œfeatheringā€ the gasā€¦ errrā€¦ accelerator pedal, it starts to makes sense.
What happens when you coast in an ICE vehicle? You take your foot off the gas and the vehicle slows down at a rate dependent on the gear you are in (Jake braking) or less gradually if you have put it in neutral. IOW the rate of deceleration depends on how much negative thrust the wheels are applying to the road.

The same exact thing happens with regen except that you can set the negative thrust to any level you want within the range of the available regen but you have to pay attention. If you want to coast you monitor the power meter and consumption graph to hold them as close to 0 as you can. Unfortunately Rivian has configured its "efficiency" graph in such a way that you can't use it for this but many are hoping that they will fix this in an OTA update.

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
I am not liking OPD in my new Rivian.
I breaks so hard that I worry about the car behind me hitting me.
As someone entirely disappointed in the OPD of their Model X - constantly wishing for way more slowdown on regen - I'm happy to hear this.

Thanks for the report!

howler99

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX 350
Occupation
Analyst
Clubs

New R1T owner and this is my first EV. It took me about 3 days to get used to it, but now I love it. We live on winding mountain roads, and I really like the OPD instead of hitting the brakes when I go into a turn.

A friend of mine was an early Tesla adopter (Model S, 3 and X) , and I let him drive the R1T. He said turn the regen all the way up to maximize the energy gain. The R1T OPD didn't seem to bother him a bit.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

He said turn the regen all the way up to maximize the energy gain.
Coasting and conserving momentum will always be more efficient than coming to a stop, regardless of how much regen you use to do it. You'll find that with an EV you'll naturally increase your following distance so you can coast more and/or make the most of regen if you do have to come to a stop.

Sponsored

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

I found OPD difficult when I first got my Y and decided not to even use it, but even Tesla's lowest mode (Creep), regen braking still was apparent (esp to my passengers who would complain of motion sickness).

Part of this issue is that Telsas don't have a mode that allows coasting that most people are used to in ICE vehicles. But once you figure out ā€œfeatheringā€ the gasā€¦ errrā€¦ accelerator pedal, it starts to makes sense....
I'm confused by your statement. Tesla has Low mode for regen and does coast significantly more than the standard.

Further, Creep mode is so that your vehicle moves to way any automatic transmission vehicle does when stopped and brake is removed. Has nothing to do with regen. I keep mine set to free rolling so that it does not creep (drove manual transmission most of my life and prefer it still).

When I am on a road trip or on the freeway for any significant distance/time, I set the drive mode to "Chill" and regen to "Low", resulting in 10%-ish improvement in the range. The coasting benefit, or lack of aggressive regen braking, is more than offset by not having to impulse the motor constantly for every little changes during the drive.

If you haven't tried it, try it and see what you think yourself.

Airbuswillie

First Name
Willie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Model 3, ā€˜99 Suburban, ā€˜24 GMC1500 AT4
Occupation
Airline pilot
Like others said, you have to be brand new to EV driving. I do the same thing when I get in my wifeā€™s Model 3 after driving any of our other cars but it only takes one time to remember what car youā€™re driving. If you canā€™t get used to it after just a few miles then it might just not be the car for you. Itā€™s definitely a different way of driving but should be fairly intuitive after a little while. My dad is 68 and picked it up in just a few miles in my wifeā€™s Tesla.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
As someone entirely disappointed in the OPD of their Model X - constantly wishing for way more slowdown on regen - I'm happy to hear this.
When I stepped into my 2nd Model X I too was quite disappointed in the puniness of the regen relative to what I thought it was in the first. But now it seems quite adequate. Perhaps they amped it up in an OTA.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Just had my first drive event test drive. I haven't really driven an EV before but got used to the regen in standard mode. Took me about 5 minutes to get used to it but I've been driving manual transmission daily drivers for the last 20 years. It's really similar to downshifting a manual.

Sponsored

No.92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
I would say go to an empty large parking lot and just practice OPB. Keep in your mind dimmer switch as supposed to on/off. Also anticipate letting off of the accelerator earlier than before to ease into it. In some ways OPB is like switching gears in a manual car with the clutch.
TBH, learning this should be VERY easy. I learned this while driving home with a new vehicle. It has basically become a game now to see if I can time the regen braking to stop right before the stop sign or light

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

TBH, learning this should be VERY easy. I learned this while driving home with a new vehicle. It has basically become a game now to see if I can time the regen braking to stop right before the stop sign or light
Bingo. And then you feel like you screwed up if you have to touch the friction brakes because you misjudged. :p

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
When I am on a road trip or on the freeway for any significant distance/time, I set the drive mode to "Chill" and regen to "Low", resulting in 10%-ish improvement in the range. The coasting benefit, or lack of aggressive regen braking, is more than offset by not having to impulse the motor constantly for every little changes during the drive.
There is no reason that setting the regen to full should result in agressive regen braking unless you call for it. Braking is bad for consumptio because you lose some energy when you do it even if you recover most (with regen). Therefore,, keep hypermiling in mind, even when driving a BEV.

I find it no more difficult to use hypermiling techniques in a BEV than I did with an ICE vehicle. Even though regen is set to max (does Tesla offer any other option besides OFF?) one can control it very precisely i.e. coming to a smooth stop at every light. If much of the deceleration is provided by drag and rolling resistance as opposed to braking (even by regen) consumption goes way down. Of course there are limits as to how much hypermiling one can do in traffic.

I can't help getting the feeling that some who have posted here haven't really fully appreciated the nuances of driving when regenerative braking is available. I am most anxious to try this super aggressive regen in the Rivian (first mile drive in about a week).

junkanoo

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX, Suburu Outback, R1S
Occupation
Supply Chain Planning
My only concern with OPD is the added delay to apply the friction brake if necessary.

Typically if I see someone driving poorly and unpredictable in an ICE i'd let off the gas and position my foot on the brake, just in case it is needed.

With OPD, I no longer have that option, i have to maintain pressure on the "skinny pedal" in order to maintain speed, but if the driver in front of my acts in a way that requires the friction brake, i have to move my foot over. This delay could be the difference between a miss and an accident.

I just don't understand why they don't blend regen into the friction brake pedal.
Actually, as youā€™re moving your foot from the accelerator to the brake pedal, the truck is already going to be starting to slow down due to the regen. Also, if someone in front of you is driving erratically, it is probably a good idea to go ahead and increase your following distance so you have more room to react rather than covering the brake.

Personally, Iā€™ve gotten used to OPD. I think of it as having a raw egg between my foot and the accelerator. Use gentle pressure so you donā€™t crack the egg.
Good answer. However, if that's not enough, due to your concerns ... you can learn to use your left foot on the brake ... much like a race car driver.

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S preorder holder; '14 JGC,'20 Subaru Crosstrek
Great thread BTW.

As a long time ICE driver, I can see the lack of "coasting" as an issue. I do it a lot and get much better milage than friends who own the same vehicle (and at 120k miles have very little brake wear because I coast to lights, etc.

That being said, I coast by taking my foot completely off the pedal, which I think is what most people in ICE vehicles do. If you are used to that, there will definitely be a learning curve for OPD. I fully expect that it will take me a bit to re-learn.

What I think the OP is looking for though is that ICE resistance feeling. Like if you are coming off a mountain pass, you know that the engine will keep you accelerating to a certain point, but also won't slow you down. If you were to put it into percentages ICE would be like 10% resistance. It sounds like Standard is much higher like 50% resistance, and High is like 75%.

A setting for low/no wouldn't really do much other than impact your range so I don't see an issue with it. Maybe they need to put in a "trainer" mode where there is limited regen but brake pedal engages more and more resistance until it hits a margin where it actually applies the physical breaks (and resistance) (ie you stomp on it, the pedal is past that margin and does both but if you slightly push it, it's regen only).
Sponsored