Sponsored

Not able to navigate to addresses in contacts?

cjust2006

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adv Limestone
Occupation
IT Analyst
Hello!

Just checking... Am I missing something, or are we completely unable to say "Directions to John Smiths house" and it pull that from contacts and just go??? Beyond that, even if you do go and find that contact's address manually and tap on it, NOTHING happens.

That's really really basic stuff. Am I just doing something wrong?
Sponsored

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

I'm curious about this, too. My truck is reportedly en route, so I haven't had a chance to play around with things yet, but similar to the question above, is there a way to send a location from Apple or Google Maps on my iPhone to the Rivian app and have it pop up on the Rivian's navigation? This has been possible with the Tesla app for a while and was just assuming I could do the same with Rivian.

OP
OP
cjust2006

cjust2006

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adv Limestone
Occupation
IT Analyst
I'm curious about this, too. My truck is reportedly en route, so I haven't had a chance to play around with things yet, but similar to the question above, is there a way to send a location from Apple or Google Maps on my iPhone to the Rivian app and have it pop up on the Rivian's navigation? This has been possible with the Tesla app for a while and was just assuming I could do the same with Rivian.
They don't use Google Maps, pretty sure. Also, just one of those shower thoughts: Amazon's trucks drive nearly every road in the country. How have they not got their own maps and StreetView equivalent that could be used in Rivians and by now would be way more up to date than Google could ever hope to be?

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

They don't use Google Maps, pretty sure. Also, just one of those shower thoughts: Amazon's trucks drive nearly every road in the country. How have they not got their own maps and StreetView equivalent that could be used in Rivians and by now would be way more up to date than Google could ever hope to be?
Seriously. That's a really good point.

The below is what I was wondering about and it doesn't look like it's a capability right now. On an iPhone, in Apple Maps, if you pull up a location, you can share the location with the Tesla app and it'll pop up on the Tesla's navigation system. The Rivian app, however, is not an option - at least on my phone - to send a shared location.

Will send a request to support such capability once I got my truck. It's incredibly convenient.

Rivian R1T R1S Not able to navigate to addresses in contacts? IMG_2326
Rivian R1T R1S Not able to navigate to addresses in contacts? IMG_2327

endress14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC 90 recharge
Occupation
TBD
Rivian R1T R1S Not able to navigate to addresses in contacts? IMG_3099

the satellite imagery is also woefully out of date. The Rivian maps still show empty lots on my block, and the LAST of those houses was at least framed in 2019.

Sponsored

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

The Rivian GPS is an enigma wrapped in a riddle. It's super basic, and barely usable when compared to something like Google maps (the exception being that it does know more about charging stops than Google, but much less than ABRP and/or plugshare).

Bottom line: If your question is anything more than "can Rivian GPS navigate point to point on a weird route if I give it the exact address" then you're likely to be disappointed.

- no waypoints
- no send address from phone
- many destinations don't show up in search
- the routing is often optimized for "efficiency" but results in circuitous routes that don't seem to be appreciably better than what I get from ABRP and often times are MUCH worst (routing you away from fast chargers to virtual charging deserts).

All in all, to me, it's probably the biggest disappointment in the entire ownership experience (except for maybe the fact that 93 days in I don't have license plates and it took over 3 months to get a service appointment for minor stuff I reported on day 3 of ownership)

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
IMG_3099.jpeg

the satellite imagery is also woefully out of date. The Rivian maps still show empty lots on my block, and the LAST of those houses was at least framed in 2019.
Why would this be something Rivian should care about or spend money on??? Of all the things they could invest time/resources in on software. It's not a usable piece of information, it's just eye candy. The only value add use for satellite imagery is out in the wild and looking for good camping sites.

OP
OP
cjust2006

cjust2006

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adv Limestone
Occupation
IT Analyst
Why would this be something Rivian should care about or spend money on??? Of all the things they could invest time/resources in on software. It's not a usable piece of information, it's just eye candy. The only value add use for satellite imagery is out in the wild and looking for good camping sites.
I agree with that point, up to where it's just bad to be perceived at outdated.

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
I agree with that point, up to where it's just bad to be perceived at outdated.
Sure, but I can show you google map satellite imagery equally as dated. I work in real estate and so use it on the desktop quite a bit. See it all the time. It's also not their imagery, it's Mapbox, wherever they get it from.

It's probably been really dark/cloudy every time the satellite is over that location since 2019, just dumb luck.......:)

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
They've said it's coming in near future update to truck/app. Everything can't be done at once and the roadmap is probably full for two years out on feature additions.

Sponsored

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

On this topic… be careful even just navigating to an address. I’ve had 3 times (once selecting a location, twice Inputting an exact address) rivian nav has brought me to the totally wrong location. Address verified as correct. A couple times it’s been just a few blocks away, once it was 20 mins away.

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 20 Cummins, 05 Jeep LJR, 22 Range Rover Sport
The navigation is horrible. There are businesses near me that have been around for years that it can't navigate to by name. I have to ask my phone for the address and then ask the navigation to navigate to the address. Still even then it sometimes coughs. I hope Rivian is watching these forums.

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
The navigation is horrible. There are businesses near me that have been around for years that it can't navigate to by name. I have to ask my phone for the address and then ask the navigation to navigate to the address. Still even then it sometimes coughs. I hope Rivian is watching these forums.
The problem is that it must be area specific, because I've never had a situation where the NAV couldn't do something Google could. I've even brought up Google Maps to test/compare on many occasions regarding route, travel time, etc. and it's been in line. I've never needed to use Google for anything. The only NAV issue I have is not picking up any EA stations on certain long routes, like Austin to Denver, just says I can't get there. I can even route to southern NM, which it doesn't recognize the stations along I10, but if I route to Big Bend, it will pick up the same route and stations I would have used to NM. This was all just test scenarios though, never actually done any of those trips.

Good news is you are in SoCal, where they have offices/employees to likely experience the same things you are so you can be sure you won't be falling through the cracks.

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
All this wouldn't even be a problem if they just gave us AA/Carplay but alas...

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback