Sponsored

Cavalryscout18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
wish they would "borrow" neat trick from Hyundai and Audi and include brief camera views in the driver screen of the side with BSM alerting while that approaching vehicle passes by.
Tesla recently added this as an OTA update. I’m sure Rivian can easily add if needed.
Sponsored

nfrank

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
For me self driving is really good for long road trips. You don't get tired as fast, if you do get distracted you won't get into an accident, and you can keep a better eye on the road and watch out for cops up ahead.
I've used Tesla autopilot on a road trip and felt that I spent more attention and brain power checking that the system was working compared to just driving myself. Self driving has a very long way to go until I can trust it completely.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I've used Tesla autopilot on a road trip and felt that I spent more attention and brain power checking that the system was working compared to just driving myself. Self driving has a very long way to go until I can trust it completely.
If you're treating it like "self driving" then yes, it will be problematic.

But a good ADAS system -- specifically LKAS and ACC that works down to 0mph -- definitely improves safety and reduces fatigue if you use them as intended. They are assistance technologies; not self-driving.

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
If you're treating it like "self driving" then yes, it will be problematic.

But a good ADAS system -- specifically LKAS and ACC that works down to 0mph -- definitely improves safety and reduces fatigue if you use them as intended. They are assistance technologies; not self-driving.
Yeah, having had a Tesla with AP1 for about 6 years now, I can't imagine taking long trips without basic lane keeping & adaptive cruise ever again. Everything about driving is more pleasant—I get to see more scenery, interact with my wife & daughter more, and even traffic jams are just a minor inconvenience. You also get to simply ignore asshole drivers who cut you off—let the car deal with them.

I'm very happy that Driver+ seems to be close to on-par with AP1, though I hope they open it up to more roads and even lower speeds. I also really like lane changing with the turn signal (though this is a pretty minor feature).

ajbrutman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, GTI
Clubs

Early pictures showed BSM indicators in the side view mirrors. Are those still included? Or is the driver instrument screen the only place for BSM warnings, now?
Also on mirror

Sponsored

Picard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, X5 45E
I wonder why, as the passing vehicle in the blind spot pulls level with the truck, remains invisible on the display UNTIL it is completely ahead and it just kind of "pops up" in the UI. It would have been cool to include the animation of the passing vehicle from the time its detected in the blind spot through till it gets ahead of the R1T.

Nit picking, I know. But as they say, idle minds....

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE

Sponsored

cmtaylor963

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E, R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I wonder why, as the passing vehicle in the blind spot pulls level with the truck, remains invisible on the display UNTIL it is completely ahead and it just kind of "pops up" in the UI. It would have been cool to include the animation of the passing vehicle from the time its detected in the blind spot through till it gets ahead of the R1T.

Nit picking, I know. But as they say, idle minds....
Do we know who is providing the Driver+ hardware? Just spitballing, but I would guess they are only using the windshield camera for vehicle/pedestrian/roadway detection and relying on radar for detecting objects beside and behind the vehicle. Not to say the other cameras couldn't aid in the future with an update.

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2000 GMC Sierra
Does anyone know if Rivian has Speed Limit Sign recognition? I suppose they do, since Ford has this feature, but I'm not sure about GM.
It's there.
Thanks very much! It wasn't a deal breaker, but I'm sure happy it's there. You answered a question that CS had previously failed to verify.

Iwantatesla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla X Plaid, 2004 s2000, Huracan Evo, +
Thanks very much! It wasn't a deal breaker, but I'm sure happy it's there. You answered a question that CS had previously failed to verify.
for how quick this truck is... we need to be reminded of speed limits :)

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
The car definitely recognizes the signs and displays them on the dash, but it seems to revert to base map data quite quickly.
Sponsored