Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

It's just a 'dumb' cable lock. It cannot detect a cut, but can detect a tamper if the mount point is moved.
Great, now I'm gonna have to break out the bolt cutters to see just how stupid this design really is. maybe I should start a gofundme for a replacement.
Sponsored

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
Great, now I'm gonna have to break out the bolt cutters to see just how stupid this design really is. maybe I should start a gofundme for a replacement.
Vehicles: Polestar 2, Volt, Hummer EV, R1T

You don't need a gofundme :p

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5

R1T7777

First Name
CaliSurfer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Propagandist
I'm probably going with a manual tonneau cover for a variety of reasons. But add the gear guard to that list of reasons. I could modify a manual folding/rolling tonneau with grommets -- marine cover style with caps/plugs to keep watertight when not in use. Then the gear guard can be used with the cover in place for bikes or whatnot over the top.

My friend who's had his R1T for several weeks now says the camp speaker is a huge disappointment. Great idea, but kinda gimmicky for the actual implementation. Sound quality not as good as similarly sized bluetooth speakers out there like UE and others who also have waterproof options.

Some more physical buttons would be nice, especially if they're programmable or we can assign or cycle their functions. As a long time Tesla owner, Model X and Model Y, that's my biggest complaint. Especially on the Model Y after the latest UI changes... Simple functions are not intuitive or easily accessible and even buried in a secondary window or menu. It's maddening. I often wonder if the people doing the UX design actually drive these cars more than a few miles each day just round-tripping between home and work. Hard to tap that little button on the screen when in motion.

Charging pads in most vehicles are complete failures. I'm not sure why it's so hard to put in a decent charging pad. Our iPhone 12's and my 13 Pro Max don't charge reliably, or at all, in most any vehicle I've tried. The charger either just doesn't work well or the phone doesn't physically fit. Case, no case, MagSafe case, nada. iPhone 13 Pro Max Does not like my buddy's R1T much. Very finicky. Weirdly enough it works and charges flawlessly in a '22 Bronco Sport we picked up a few weeks back, but not in a '21 Bronco Sport we bought a year ago. Same part # and Ford insists it's the same between the two years, but I think they quietly updated some firmware or something and the new ones work with the new phones. Being a software developer, predominantly business and mobile apps, I have tons of phones and devices to play with and test. The newest Apple and Samsung phones are not well supported by charging pads in the auto industry... That $7 Qi charger from AliExpress? No problem, works awesome! The charging pad in that $80K+ Porsche/ Rivian/ Tesla/ Cadillac/ etc...? Nope, flaky AF.
Vehicle wireless charging seems to be an iPhone issue. My Pixel 6 Pro charges fine...iPhones virtually never. This is regardless of cases.

Hopper

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Green R1T, 2022 Polaris Ranger NorthStar
Occupation
Retired Executive and technical writer. Board of Directors Fly Fishers International.
There are magsafe cases. Regular cases are hit-and-miss. I personally don't use a case at all but from the sounds of it, my phone is going to go flying off the pad anyways.
Hit or miss with my iPhone 12 Pro and MagSafe case.

Sponsored

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

Vehicle wireless charging seems to be an iPhone issue. My Pixel 6 Pro charges fine...iPhones virtually never. This is regardless of cases.
so does the phone stay in place and continue charging while driving? i have a couple of wireless pads and some built into desks as work and they have to be set exactly right to charge, even then you think it charges and then it stops. in a vehicle, im imagining it moves a lot stopping the charge. whats your exp been?

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
so does the phone stay in place and continue charging while driving? i have a couple of wireless pads and some built into desks as work and they have to be set exactly right to charge, even then you think it charges and then it stops. in a vehicle, im imagining it moves a lot stopping the charge. whats your exp been?
It slides everywhere. The surface is way too slick.

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Since that charging pad comes up so easily and can be unplugged easily, I see a third party or maybe even Rivian designing a replacement with ridges or something to keep the phone from sliding.

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

It slides everywhere. The surface is way too slick.
great. so they spend all this time designing and testing and they can't figure out the wireless charging situation? probably should have spent less time on the flashlight and camp speaker, which are gimmicky and spent more time on functional things.

one thing ive noticed is that a lot of current owners photos show phone charging cables which indicates the wireless charger is useless. .

r1vlife

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Launch Edition
great. so they spend all this time designing and testing and they can't figure out the wireless charging situation? probably should have spent less time on the flashlight and camp speaker, which are gimmicky and spent more time on functional things.

one thing ive noticed is that a lot of current owners photos show phone charging cables which indicates the wireless charger is useless. .
I've actually found the flashlight to be extremely useful. I can just pull it out and use it vice using my cellphone, in which case the cellphone pictures can turn out too light saturated.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

I've actually found the flashlight to be extremely useful. I can just pull it out and use it vice using my cellphone, in which case the cellphone pictures can turn out too light saturated.
as opposed to just placing a flashlight in the glove box? revolutionary

oh wait... theres no glove box either.

just saying they could have spent time on more daily, functional things. they also missed on the door compartments of the gear tunnel and the lid for the air compressor... poorly/cheaply made

Last edited:

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Regarding the cable lock, if the system is designed only to lock the two ends in place and doesn't detect the cable being cut, why not just buy a second (or more) cable(s) from the company and secure them together with a sturdy padlock(s)? You'd double or triple or....the length to allow a run to the roof if needed through all kinds of gear, even with the Tonneau cover almost completely closed.

This would also give us natural unlocking points throughout this loop without having to untangle every bit of gear to get to one item. Also, you wouldn't have to open the Tonneau and disconnect from the Gear Guard latch ports.

I'd just make certain that a run of cable to the roof didn't result in a sturdy lock poised to hit that huge sheet of glass.
Sponsored