Sponsored

Mounting a cell phone. Has anyone done it?

jwardell

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jwardell.com
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

My initial placement for the Peak Design mount. I'm always hesitant on using adhesive on soft dashboards, and also worried about the wood. Ideal someone can 3D print a plastic clip-in adapter that clips over the dash. But I realized it's really easy to tuck things underneath the top dash and it holds well. Good view of Waze here, not noticeable to passengers (won't want to muddy the beautiful dash..). Will run/hide wiring to 12v socket this week when I do my dashcam as well.

Rivian R1T R1S Mounting a cell phone.  Has anyone done it? IMG_0107
Rivian R1T R1S Mounting a cell phone.  Has anyone done it? IMG_4351

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

So far, I have had really good experiences with the Nav system in the R1T and am very impressed by the overall level of voice integration. Alexa in the Rivian can do just about anything related to driving, comfort functions, music, integration with my phone...btw: this is the 1st sign of a new competitor in this area: Stellantis has signed a deal to make Amazon services like those in the R1T available in all their vehicles. That's a bunch and means that Amazon is really serious about further development in this space:
1651769601049.png
Lets not forget that Amazon ordered e-delivery vans from Stellantis. The Alexa integration is most likely a part of the deal.

bdavis171

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
My initial placement for the Peak Design mount. I'm always hesitant on using adhesive on soft dashboards, and also worried about the wood. Ideal someone can 3D print a plastic clip-in adapter that clips over the dash. But I realized it's really easy to tuck things underneath the top dash and it holds well. Good view of Waze here, not noticeable to passengers (won't want to muddy the beautiful dash..). Will run/hide wiring to 12v socket this week when I do my dashcam as well.

IMG_0107.jpeg
IMG_4351.jpeg
Let me know how you end up hiding the wires, my peak design stuff this week

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram

IMG_0107.jpeg
IMG_4351.jpeg
Love it, but I can't see out of my left eye so this would be very annoying leaning over to see the phone

Will it work on the right?

Last edited:

Sponsored

jwardell

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jwardell.com
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

You could certainly put it on the right as well, right between the displays. I like the left because passengers won't notice it. Still holding without issue squeezed between the top dash

abirozy

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla model s, lexus gs 350 f sport, toyota corolla
Occupation
lawyer
Clubs

IMG_0107.jpeg
IMG_4351.jpeg
Sorry if you said this, but what mount is this? Do you have a link? Also, how are you planning on running the cable? I like this set up.

jwardell

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jwardell.com
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

abirozy

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
lawyer
Clubs

echerod

First Name
Rodolfo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3, BMW i3
Occupation
Finance

IMG_0107.jpeg
IMG_4351.jpeg
Would a vent mount work in the indicated area?
Rivian R1T R1S Mounting a cell phone.  Has anyone done it? 1654025558667

Sponsored

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

Would a vent mount work in the indicated area?
1654025558667.png
My fundamental concern with a vent mount in this vehicle is that the vents are automated and not manually controlled. Meaning if you wedge something in-between the louvers and, say, your partner gets in and starts adjusting the vents, things might go crunch, or cause other problems with the vent control mechanism.

jwardell

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jwardell.com
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

Yeah the vents are motorized, I would avoid attaching anything to them. Not to mention it will block that badly needed air! Bad enough the vents are often off due to software bugs lately

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

I used this affordable setup from AMZ. It does engage within the vent path so definitely some risk if you asked them to move around. Clip catches and locks into the lateral rib and is not clamping down on a vane. The stem does poke between adjacent vertical vanes so again, use with your own risk level Has a nice USB-C cable (both ends) that can power from the underdash 12V outlet with a typical adapter. The base unit has a powerful rounded magnet feature that "clicks" firmly to the stem. It gets a good charge into the phone and I confirmed does shutdown when vehicle does.

... and yes, I've named my R1T 'Gorn'

Rivian R1T R1S Mounting a cell phone.  Has anyone done it? DSCN3640.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S Mounting a cell phone.  Has anyone done it? DSCN3646.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S Mounting a cell phone.  Has anyone done it? IMG_5813.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S Mounting a cell phone.  Has anyone done it? IMG_5820.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S Mounting a cell phone.  Has anyone done it? IMG_5821.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S Mounting a cell phone.  Has anyone done it? IMG_5822.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S Mounting a cell phone.  Has anyone done it? IMG_5823.JPG
👾🚀

abirozy

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
lawyer
Clubs

I used this affordable setup from AMZ. It does engage within the vent path so definitely some risk if you asked them to move around. Clip catches and locks into the lateral rib and is not clamping down on a vane. The stem does poke between adjacent vertical vanes so again, use with your own risk level Has a nice USB-C cable (both ends) that can power from the underdash 12V outlet with a typical adapter. The base unit has a powerful rounded magnet feature that "clicks" firmly to the stem. It gets a good charge into the phone and I confirmed does shutdown when vehicle does.

... and yes, I've named my R1T 'Gorn'

DSCN3640.JPG

DSCN3646.JPG

IMG_5813.JPG

IMG_5820.JPG

IMG_5821.JPG

IMG_5822.JPG

IMG_5823.JPG
👾🚀
Love it... the name of the truck, the mount, and the interior.