Sponsored

Mounting a cell phone. Has anyone done it?

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Am I the only person here who uses a pop socket on my phone?
Your not, and I'm not ashamed of it. I use a pop socket mount (vent clip) and it is small inconspicuous very cheap and never dropped my phone they also have dash mount that can use the same 3M VBD sticker to adhere. I would argue the pop sockets are better since they are smaller and cheaper and work just fine.
The debate of is it tacky to add a phone mount to premium auto dash has some merit wether using a $100 mount or a $10 mount.
Sponsored

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
Don't forget to tweet photos at them of how stupid all these would-be-completely-unnecessary workarounds look in their high-end vehicles.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Your not, and I'm not ashamed of it. I use a pop socket mount (vent clip) and it is small inconspicuous very cheap and never dropped my phone they also have dash mount that can use the same 3M VBD sticker to adhere. I would argue the pop sockets are better since they are smaller and cheaper and work just fine.
The debate of is it tacky to add a phone mount to premium auto dash has some merit wether using a $100 mount or a $10 mount.
Yep I use a pop socket vent clip in my current vehicle which really lacks other good mounting options and it works very well. The only thing I'd be slightly concerned about in the Rivian with this is the motorized vents but I think it will still work. I've also used the 3m mount and it takes up minimal space as a mounting solution.

That's why I'm not really concerned with this but I'm surprised to not see anyone showing a pop socket mounting solution yet.

SunDevil2213

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Construction Cost Consultant
We definitely should not be needing to jimmy rig s**t like this in $80K+ vehicles. I really hope some of the employees at Rivian read this. Your nav is probably great. Your OS is probably nice. For people who don't care about CarPlay, fine, but at least let those who do have a choice. I want to use Waze, Apple Music, and Siri from CarPlay to be able to easily send texts, etc.. without the need to touch my phone while driving. I know Bezos is their master now, but Alexa will not be enabled in my vehicle, and Spotify won't be used (it'll be removed if I have the option). I'm glad your Nav system is cool for offroading. But 99% of the time, I need my nav to show me real-time traffic in the city, alert to stopped cars, police, red light cameras, crashes, etc...

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
We definitely should not be needing to jimmy rig s**t like this in $80K+ vehicles. I really hope some of the employees at Rivian read this. Your nav is probably great. Your OS is probably nice. For people who don't care about CarPlay, fine, but at least let those who do have a choice. I want to use Waze, Apple Music, and Siri from CarPlay to be able to easily send texts, etc.. without the need to touch my phone while driving. I know Bezos is their master now, but Alexa will not be enabled in my vehicle, and Spotify won't be used (it'll be removed if I have the option). I'm glad your Nav system is cool for offroading. But 99% of the time, I need my nav to show me real-time traffic in the city, alert to stopped cars, police, red light cameras, crashes, etc...
I would say wait until you have your truck and try stuff out before deciding what to do. My other EV, Kia Niro, supports via usb Android Auto and CarPlay. I understand the desire to not have to learn multiple systems/commands, but would urge a try. I would also say that early reports of issues with Nav and other systems should be taken with a grain of salt...OTA updates have and will solve many problems. What I don't understand is the almost visceral distain for Amazon that I see in many posts. Carry a cell phone? Buy online? Figure you are tracked and forget about it.

In terms of interoperability, that is probably coming courtesy of new EU regulations. Apple and Amazon both want to sell in the EU. The EU's Digital Markets Act: What is it and what will the new law mean for you and Big Tech? | Euronews

Not that the tech guys want gates to their 'walled gardens', from the above link:

<<In a statement to the AFP, Apple said it was "concerned" by "certain provisions [which] will create unnecessary privacy and security vulnerabilities for our users, while others will prohibit us from charging for the intellectual property in which we invest heavily".

A free choice of software application shops will be introduced, including bypassing Apple's App Store, which has long been in the Commission's sights.

"While we support many of the DMA's ambitions on consumer choice and interoperability, we remain concerned about the potential risks to innovation and the variety of choices available to Europeans," a Google spokesperson told AFP, saying it would study the final text and cooperate with regulators on its implementation.>>

Last edited:

Sponsored

ERguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I would say wait until you have your truck and try stuff out before deciding what to do. My other EV, Kia Niro, supports via usb Android Auto and CarPlay. I understand the desire to not have to learn multiple systems/commands, but would urge a try. I would also say that early reports of issues with Nav and other systems should be taken with a grain of salt...OTA updates have and will solve many problems. What I don't understand is the almost visceral distain for Amazon that I see in many posts. Carry a cell phone? Buy online? Figure you are tracked and forget about it. In terms of interoperability, that is probably coming courtesy of new EU regulations. Apple and Amazon both want to sell in the EU.
Rivian requires cell signal for at least some of the navigation features. That means you must subscribe to Rivian and pay money to get features that are available for free with Android Auto and Carplay because the Rivian LTE functions certainly aren't going to be included forever. Right now owners are on a trial period before the subscription services kick in.

Even if we ignore the fact Rivian doesn't offer near the same number of features as Google does for navigation, no amount of OTA updates will change the fact Rivian will force you to subscribe for features readily available on other cars for free (Navigation with traffic, construction delays, speed traps, etc.

How will waiting until we see the Rivian Navigation address any of the concerns we've raised about features Rivian chose not to allow by foregoing full phone integration options?

SunDevil2213

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Construction Cost Consultant
I would say wait until you have your truck and try stuff out before deciding what to do. My other EV, Kia Niro, supports via usb Android Auto and CarPlay. I understand the desire to not have to learn multiple systems/commands, but would urge a try. I would also say that early reports of issues with Nav and other systems should be taken with a grain of salt...OTA updates have and will solve many problems. What I don't understand is the almost visceral distain for Amazon that I see in many posts. Carry a cell phone? Buy online? Figure you are tracked and forget about it.

In terms of interoperability, that is probably coming courtesy of new EU regulations. Apple and Amazon both want to sell in the EU. The EU's Digital Markets Act: What is it and what will the new law mean for you and Big Tech? | Euronews

Not that the tech guys want gates to their 'walled gardens', from the above link:

<<In a statement to the AFP, Apple said it was "concerned" by "certain provisions [which] will create unnecessary privacy and security vulnerabilities for our users, while others will prohibit us from charging for the intellectual property in which we invest heavily".

A free choice of software application shops will be introduced, including bypassing Apple's App Store, which has long been in the Commission's sights.

"While we support many of the DMA's ambitions on consumer choice and interoperability, we remain concerned about the potential risks to innovation and the variety of choices available to Europeans," a Google spokesperson told AFP, saying it would study the final text and cooperate with regulators on its implementation.>>
I've been driving around a "smart" EV for the last year that only has Google services. Since I don't have an Android, my iPhone works with my current car in the exact same way it will work in my Rivian - only Bluetooth functionality. I hate it. I have to open my phone to see texts and respond, to use Waze (have to set my phone up in the display behind the steering wheel to see it). I've been living the nightmare for a year and this, I'm 100% sure, is going to be just about my only gripe with my Rivian. No matter what they do to their nav, they are still SEVERAL years behind Google Maps, Waze, and even Apple Maps. And there's no reason I need to use Bezos' Amazon racket to send a text when Siri can do it just fine (and she doesn't keep a copy of the recording on file for humans at Amazon to review whenever they want).

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Rivian requires cell signal for at least some of the navigation features. That means you must subscribe to Rivian and pay money to get features that are available for free with Android Auto and Carplay because the Rivian LTE functions certainly aren't going to be included forever. Right now owners are on a trial period before the subscription services kick in.

Even if we ignore the fact Rivian doesn't offer near the same number of features as Google does for navigation, no amount of OTA updates will change the fact Rivian will force you to subscribe for features readily available on other cars for free (Navigation with traffic, construction delays, speed traps, etc.

How will waiting until we see the Rivian Navigation address any of the concerns we've raised about features Rivian chose not to allow by foregoing full phone integration options?
I figure that I am probably going to subscribe to the Rivian service after the 1st year...but will have to see if there are tiers...that has been an issue with the Kia UVO service. The high end Kia service is pretty pricey; the low end has been enough for me.

Pending interoperability (I added some stuff about that in my last post; Google and Apple are not fans of the EU), I figure if I need something I'm not getting from the nav system, I will listen to my phone while having the Rivian map up. I certainly think interoperability is what we need in tech pretty much across the board, but lobbying on this side of the pond pretty much means we are going to have to depend on the EU for forcing this. They aren't altruists, of course, they want access for their tech companies. Since Rivian, Apple, Google, etc. want to sell in the EU, that's where we will find an answer...just may take a while.

EarlyAdptr

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sequoia
Occupation
Consultant
Just ordered the peak design car mount. I will let you know how it works next week once I receive it
Thanks @bdavis171 !! One thing I'm warry of is the ability to 'easily remove' the adhesive down the road. I had a car mount that advertised the same "residual free removal' and that was a sticky suction cup. Alas, when I did have to remove it, it left a permanent scar on my dash :(

Anyone have experience removing these mounts when adhesives are involved (Peak Design as an example)?

Sponsored

LaunchGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
I've always used full mounts vs relying on magsafe. I'm personally partial to the proclip ones.

Growing up my father was a volunteer firefighter (small town) and I've seen loose objects kill people when they get into a high speed accident. I'm curious if anyone knows how these magnet holders fair in such situations or if we are essentially mounting a missile in front of us. I searched around a bit and couldn't find much - so maybe it isn't a problem?

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
I've always used full mounts vs relying on magsafe. I'm personally partial to the proclip ones.

Growing up my father was a volunteer firefighter (small town) and I've seen loose objects kill people when they get into a high speed accident. I'm curious if anyone knows how these magnet holders fair in such situations or if we are essentially mounting a missile in front of us. I searched around a bit and couldn't find much - so maybe it isn't a problem?
...or maybe this particular Darwin Award is waiting to be claimed...apprectiate the caution.

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Since Rivian, Apple, Google, etc. want to sell in the EU, that's where we will find an answer...just may take a while.
One side note: The EU's Digital Markets Act wont apply to Rivian, as it only targets large platforms.

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
One side note: The EU's Digital Markets Act wont apply to Rivian, as it only targets large platforms.
The Stellantis brands are significant in the European market. Can't imagine the EU giving the tech platforms a pass on what they (Amazon initially) are doing with all those vehicles...hopefully, the interoperability hooks will be available here, too. If interoperability is in the other brands, suspect that it will be in Rivian, too. I'm fine with what I see currently in the Rivian/Amazon software, but am in general way in favor of interoperability...we just aren't going to get it unless it's forced. Stellantis brands:
Rivian R1T R1S Mounting a cell phone.  Has anyone done it? 1652048708535

abirozy

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla model s, lexus gs 350 f sport, toyota corolla
Occupation
lawyer
Clubs

will be interested in seeing how some of these options work. Please post pics to those that are trying various options.
Sponsored