Sponsored

Mounting a cell phone. Has anyone done it?

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
For myself, if I don't like the R1T navigation (have not had a problem yet), I'll probably just look at it while listening to my phone give directions.
Sponsored

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
It will take a lot for me to mount a phone, but if you're committed, check out Peak Design's Mobile mounts. They're insanely well designed (I use their bike/motorcycle/wall mounts daily) and work with anything MagSafe or PD's own (better) magnet cases. They also have cases for some older iPhones and a few Android phones. They have a pretty slick looking charging car mount that should work on the dash: Car Mount | Peak Design Official Site

jwardell

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jwardell.com
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

It will take a lot for me to mount a phone, but if you're committed, check out Peak Design's Mobile mounts. They're insanely well designed (I use their bike/motorcycle/wall mounts daily) and work with anything MagSafe or PD's own (better) magnet cases. They also have cases for some older iPhones and a few Android phones. They have a pretty slick looking charging car mount that should work on the dash: Car Mount | Peak Design Official Site
I also have Peak's magnetic charging mount and freaking love it (as I do with all their products).
I'll be looking to find a good spot for it in the Rivian ASAP! I'll report back.

Sponsored

Jamuso

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline
Occupation
Sr software engineer - manager

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

ERguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I really like a lot of things about the Rivians, but failing to support full phone integration is the sole reason people need to mount phones.

There is absolutely no reason drivers should need their cell phones mounted on the dash in a properly designed vehicle.

Android Auto and carplay are being adopted by more and more automakers every year. While the auto industry is clearly moving one direction with cell phone integration, Rivian is trying to move the opposite direction.

A $90,000 vehicle should be able to display and control phone apps such as YouTube Music and Google Maps using the vehicle's built in screens and controls. Most cars can do this, and customers really like it.

I can't believe Rivian doesn't see all these people mounting phones on the dash as evidence that they made a poor decision in not supporting Carplay and Android Auto.

Last edited:

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
I really like a lot of things about the Rivians, but failing to support full phone integration is the sole reason people need to mount phones.

There is absolutely no reason drivers should need their cell phones mounted on the dash in a properly designed vehicle.

Android Auto and carplay are being adopted by more and more automakers every year. While the auto industry is clearly moving one direction with cell phone integration, Rivian is trying to move the opposite direction.

A $90,000 vehicle should be able to display and control phone apps such as YouTube Music and Google Maps using the vehicle's built in screens and controls. Most cars can do this, and customers really like it.

I can't believe Rivian doesn't see all these people mounting phones on the dash as evidence that they made a poor decision in not supporting Carplay and Android Auto.
So far, I have had really good experiences with the Nav system in the R1T and am very impressed by the overall level of voice integration. Alexa in the Rivian can do just about anything related to driving, comfort functions, music, integration with my phone...btw: this is the 1st sign of a new competitor in this area: Stellantis has signed a deal to make Amazon services like those in the R1T available in all their vehicles. That's a bunch and means that Amazon is really serious about further development in this space:
Rivian R1T R1S Mounting a cell phone.  Has anyone done it? 1651769601049

ERguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
So far, I have had really good experiences with the Nav system in the R1T and am very impressed by the overall level of voice integration. Alexa in the Rivian can do just about anything related to driving, comfort functions, music, integration with my phone...btw: this is the 1st sign of a new competitor in this area: Stellantis has signed a deal to make Amazon services like those in the R1T available in all their vehicles. That's a bunch and means that Amazon is really serious about further development in this space:
1651769601049.png
Your experience with the navigation is much different than what others are reporting. I'm glad it works well for you

Sponsored

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Your experience with the navigation is much different than what others are reporting. I'm glad it works well for you
I got mine after some of the early software updates. That may account for some of the differences. I've read the other posts and just have not had those problems. Let's hear it for OTA updates. In my 2019 Kia Niro EV, I have to do updates via an SD card...seems primitive :)

bdavis171

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Just ordered the peak design car mount. I will let you know how it works next week once I receive it

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Those are a decent option, but it sucks to sacrifice 1/2 of the front cupholders in order to mount the phone.
It sucks having to mount the phone anywhere but unless/until Rivian offers proper phone integration, we're going to have to compromise something to mount the phone. This may not be an option for everyone (not sure it's the option I would go with) but it's always good to at least be aware of the available options.
Sponsored