Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
President
R1S, quad
22” Sport, factory Pirelli
5.6k miles

1st time posting, hoping to get some perspective from other owners. For the last six weeks, I’ve noticed a degradation in mileage. In my current trip, I started at an 80% change, I’ve gone 83 miles, and I’m down to 102 miles of range, all in all purpose mode. At this rate, I will likely get approx 150 miles on an 80% charge. That is atrocious. Prior to this degradation I was getting close to the posted amount of 230 to 235 miles on an 80% charge. Anyone else experience something similar? I live in Massachusetts, but our weather hasn’t been that cold this winter and I took delivery last March in similar conditions and didn’t experience such poor performance in mileage.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Ptibbs

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
President
temperature and speed can easily cause 20 to 40% loss of efficiency so that is normal. It is not degradation and just the way battery works.
Speed is not the issue - I’m the same driver driving the same way, took delivery March ‘23 under similar weather conditions and got 230 miles on an 80% charge. That’s a 35% decline under similar weather conditions.

Sponsored

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
Parking inside or outside? What is the battery temp on departure? How long are your trips? Are you running the heater the same?

It’s a lot darker this time of year than it is in March, so you’ll get longer cold-soak times (peak temps are irrelevant if they only last for 10 minutes …).

These are key variables that can help you determine if you are experiencing Winter EV Syndrome or need to get a service appt.

Rivian (finally) introduced scheduled preconditioning with draw from the wall circuit vs. battery. It helps massively in increasing range.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

Cold weather for sure is a huge impact. Did you also check your tire PSI? Cold weather reduces that quite a bit as well. I went from 48 to 44 in 20AT when temps went to 20-30 degrees from 50-60

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Been windy, snowy, and cold as fuck here in Michigan this weekend. Makes a huge difference in range.

Sponsored

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
Been windy, snowy, and cold as fuck here in Michigan this weekend. Makes a huge difference in range.
Even with all that the R1T still get vastly better mileage than my Honda track snowblower has been getting the past couple of days! :)

jimmyb2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Express AWD, Lexus RX450h, Rivian R1S
Don’t really know your situation as you don’t really provide a lot of details, but based on my recent experience I would guess it is the colder weather.

My R1S is on 20” ATs, and has about 8,500 miles on it. My overall efficiency for the first 7000 miles was 2.19 mi/kw. For the last 1,500 miles (all local driving at 30-45 mph) temperatures have been colder ranging 40-55 deg F., and my efficiency dropped enough that my overall efficiency is now at 2.06 mi/kw. That is a pretty big drop.

Yesterday with temperatures around 16 deg F. and battery temperature at 33 deg F. to begin with I drove 28 miles at 30-35 mph, and my efficiency was 0.88 mi/kw.

So my guess is colder temperatures. I would suggest gathering more detailed info available in your vehicle to get some clues and a better idea of what is happening.

Throwdown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t launch edition#2650
Occupation
Technician
It's not degradation it's cold, I drove 68 miles yesterday and "used" 103 miles of range normally it would be way better but it was negative 2-10 degrees the whole drive. Their battery heating strategy needs work. It seems to heat the battery unnecessarily which causes insane range loss

OP
OP

Ptibbs

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
President
Are you starting with the cabin and battery already warm?
It stays in my garage, so while it’s there it’s cool but warmer than outside. I rarely “pre warm” before driving.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

It stays in my garage, so while it’s there it’s cool but warmer than outside. I rarely “pre warm” before driving.
Details, my friend. Precise battery temp, starting tire PSI, outside temps/winds and conditions please.
Sponsored