First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Transit Connect, 2000 VW Golf TDI
Occupation
Retired
I just had a chat with Zach at RivIan and asked him if there were any information on the manual tonneau cover. Basically, no. I have what I think is a fairly generic configuration: Rivian Blue, black mountain, large pack, crossbars, 21“ wheels,etc. So I asked Zach if deleting the manual tonneau cover would increase chances of an earlier delivery. He said maybe, but could not guarantee it of course. Anyone have feedback on manual tonneau cover and how it may affect delivery?
Sponsored

kewlasu

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T LA Silver Adventure Large Pack 21"
Clubs

I just had a chat with Zach at RivIan and asked him if there were any information on the manual tonneau cover. Basically, no. I have what I think is a fairly generic configuration: Rivian Blue, black mountain, large pack, crossbars, 21“ wheels,etc. So I asked Zach if deleting the manual tonneau cover would increase chances of an earlier delivery. He said maybe, but could not guarantee it of course. Anyone have feedback on manual tonneau cover and how it may affect delivery?
That's what I did. I changed to auto tonneau cover and within days i got the invite to the 'shop'.

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
What is your order date?

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

The only thing we know for sure about the manual tonneau cover, if it ever exists, is that it will feature “an all black colorway”.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I have the powered cover. It's been broken for a few weeks but luckily I was able to close it all the way and I haven't needed to use the bed uncovered. But I'm waiting on the parts to come in to the service center to get it repaired. If there was a manual retrofit option, I'd take it.

Sponsored

PVguy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Transit Connect, 2000 VW Golf TDI
Occupation
Retired
Thank you for the replies.
My order date was 1 February 2022.
I really see no need for a power cover for my purposes and so I would rather not pay the extra for it. so I would prefer the manual cover. I currently have the manual cover configured (when the change from Explore to Adventure was done). What I am curious about is that, since the manual cover does not exist, is there a likelihood that I will receive an earlier delivery date if I just delete the cover altogether. I realize that this is not possible to answer definitiveLy, but hoping that someone may have some insight into this.

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
Frankly with the aerodynamics of the truck I doubt the manual tonneau would make any noticeable difference, trucks with tailgates up really don't suffer much because the air flows over the bed region anyway. If it has other side functions (tables, etc) that could be cool, but from their description it almost seems like they haven't designed it yet.

If you want an early delivery - you need to option the automatic cover, end of story. I picked it because getting the truck this year is an effective $11000 discount which easily pays for the tonneau cover.

vetmann

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Tesla Model YP, ZR1, Boxster, BMW
Well it was Shay but the truck was Glacier White. It was a fun test drive regardless, boy am I going to have to be patient!
I’m not sure about adding the manual slats later. They are shipping trucks now with the slats removed but the tracks in place for the power tonneau optioned trucks. Mine will have the tracks and no motor, I guess, since I am getting the manual tonneau

I am told that if no tonneau is ordered then truck will ship without the tracks so adding a manual tonneau later is problematic unless they also sell the tracks which in addition to the $800 slats whorls be expensive

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Since there isn't a powered tonneau yet, has any deliveries happened with the manual tonneau? Or are all the recent deliveries with no tonneau?

MikeB7

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
military
Does anyone actually have a manual tonneau cover yet? I ordered the manual, but my R1T was delivered without any cover in late Dec. Rivian said the manual cover would arrive when available, but I haven’t received it yet and have been unable to even find any pictures or reviews yet.

Sponsored

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
Does anyone actually have a manual tonneau cover yet? I ordered the manual, but my R1T was delivered without any cover in late Dec. Rivian said the manual cover would arrive when available, but I haven’t received it yet and have been unable to even find any pictures or reviews yet.
It doesn’t exist yet

GreenOptimist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Interesting chat this morning with a Rivian mobile service tech. Asked him if he’d heard anything about the manual tonneau yet and he said that trucks are “now rolling off the line with them.”

Maybe he misheard my question and was referring to the new powered version (which would also be news)?

Either way sounds like we should hopefully know more soon!

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Interesting chat this morning with a Rivian mobile service tech. Asked him if he’d heard anything about the manual tonneau yet and he said that trucks are “now rolling off the line with them.”
Technically true in the sense that trucks with the tracks for the manual tonneau are being produced. But they're being delivered without the panels.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

Maybe he misheard my question and was referring to the new powered version (which would also be news)?

Either way sounds like we should hopefully know more soon!
Either would indeed be news! My guide works in Normal and as of last week had still not even seen a pic of the manual tonneau, nor had anyone else he worked with. Rumors this week have the new powered tonneau another year away. Who the hell knows at this point. It would be classic Rivian to just start producing the manual tonneaus before anyone has actually laid eyes on them LOL