Sponsored

Manual Tonneau Discussion

duessell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Chrysler Pacifica PHEV
I think this is worthy of its own thread now. I haven't seen a single photo of the manual tonneau.

Below is all the detail I see on the R1T page.

"Tonneau
We have two lockable tonneau cover options, both of which will protect against light weather. Our powered tonneau cover integrates into the truck and slides automatically with a touch of a button. It can also be operated remotely through our app. Our manual tonneau is easily removed in four lightweight panels that store in the Gear Tunnel."​

Here are some questions and ideas (either for Rivian or potential after-market options).

1) When will we see pictures and get more info on the manual tonneau?
2) The space where the power tonneau slats are stored would no longer be used with the manual tonneau. Is that space available as extra storage with the manual tonneau? Or is it just an inaccessible void?
3) Hopefully... will the manual tonneau sections step up a bit from the rails so that (1) the top is flush with the top of the bed rails for better aero and debris shedding, and (2) allow an extra half-inch or inch of clearance in the covered bed?
4) Option for extra strong manual tonneau sections that can be used as ramps for the bed (perhaps four sections where two pairs can slide into each other to extend)?
5) Option for extra strong sections to be used as recovery boards? Maybe more useful for snow recovery than off-road.
6) Will the panels double as a camp table? I had seen some discussion of this but sounds like maybe a rumor.
7) Will the manual tonneau be available to purchase in the gear shop for those to don't buy it with their R1T? (Seems likely.)
Sponsored

Last edited:

kevincrain

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian Blue R1T, Launch Edition
Occupation
Mech. Eng.
I found another thread where someone posted a reply from Rivian that said the manual cover does latch together and can be used as a camp table. That does sound like a neat feature...just wonder what to do about the table legs...

The other point I was also curious about was whether either or both of the tonneau covers were weatherproof and they said it was.

Here's the link to that post: https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/r1t-bed-and-tonneau-cover-concerns.854/post-15960

I really want to see a video of the manual cover in action (installing & removing). If that's "easy enough", I might tend that direction because an electric motor (while cool and convenient) could fail. The manual cover will always work.

jollyroger

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, R1T
Occupation
IT Manager
I did go to the Venice showroom and asked the extra space question to one of the folks there, they pretty much said that there would be no extra room if you opted for a manual (or even no) tonneau cover. So you just have an empty space you can't use.

It's weird that, that annoys me. I feel like I must make use of that space and get the powered tonneau cover. Even if it may not be in my best interest.

OEVA

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.oeva.org
Vehicles
many
It's weird that, that annoys me. I feel like I must make use of that space and get the powered tonneau cover. Even if it may not be in my best interest.
Then you should also wait for the Max pack as there is empty space in a Large pack equipped vehicle that is filled with batteries when the Max pack is fitted (and not otherwise available for storage)

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

This discussion has me wondering is the slotted area on the bed rails still be there if you opt for no tonneau cover. Will Rivian R1T's have a different side rail top piece without the tonneau cover slots?

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I like the convenience of the powered tonneau, but I would absolutely go with the manual if the pieces doubled as recovery boards, table, etc. That would be very cool.

linkwpc

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2016 CMax, 2001 Saleen, 2002 GS300
Clubs

I just came back from a test drive on the R1T and I'm definitely getting the manual tonneau cover. I just push the button and it broke! The last slate got stuck and broke off...

jollyroger

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, R1T
Occupation
IT Manager
Uh oh, if you are in Torrance then that's probably the same vehicle that I'm supposed to take my test drive in around 2:00 today.

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I just came back from a test drive on the R1T and I'm definitely getting the manual tonneau cover. I just push the button and it broke! The last slate got stuck and broke off...

I'm by no means an alarmist, I have no data to back up my lack of faith in the powered tonneau cover. I logically understand there are bound to be a few issues when mass producing a vehicle for the first time. But these anecdotal stories along with that first press drive where all the covers were disabled leads me to believe I'll be the lucky one with a cover issue. I'm not entirely sure if it sways me away though because I'll probably trade this in and upgrade to the next R1T before the warranty runs out.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
It'd be nice if we could get confirmation from Rivian on if any hardware changes were made, as have been rumored. If they changed to a two-motor design for production vehicles but the test drive fleet hasn't been upgraded, then that would help put my mind at ease.

Sponsored

linkwpc

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2016 CMax, 2001 Saleen, 2002 GS300
Clubs

Uh oh, if you are in Torrance then that's probably the same vehicle that I'm supposed to take my test drive in around 2:00 today.
If its launch green and the rivian person is Shay, then yes. Check the cover to is if its broken.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

I'm certainly leaning towards the manual now that we have the option although I really wish there was more detail on it. The only thing making me consider the power option is that it will be virtually impossible to add later whereas you can easily add the manual option later.

jollyroger

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, R1T
Occupation
IT Manager
If its launch green and the rivian person is Shay, then yes. Check the cover to is if its broken.
Well it was Shay but the truck was Glacier White. It was a fun test drive regardless, boy am I going to have to be patient!

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
This will be another aftermarket item that will be offered soon.

DannyC

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 RAM 1500, 2022 R1T (soon)
Occupation
Computer Consultant
My tonneau cover broke on the first day I got the truck. About a month later and they are still waiting on parts. There are "alignment issues" with the electric covers and I am told there are new parts and a permanent fix now. I am hoping that gets fixed soon as the cover has been stuck open by about 3 inches my entire ownership now. Its not killing me but annoying when your brand new truck has an obvious issue. Plus I'm a big guy and crawling under that to get something in the bed of the truck is um difficult and hilarious to any onlookers.

I never understood why it is called a tonneau so I looked it up. French for barrel/cask. From wikipedia "A tonneau was originally an open rear passenger compartment, rounded like a barrel, on an automobile and, by extension, a body style incorporating such a compartment."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonneau
Sponsored