Sponsored

Low speed 'Tocking' when stopping or starting

Low speed drivetrain 'tock' when starting out or stopping? Would you contact service?

• Total voters

PurpleTrain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I have the same thing and have had it since day one. I assume that's what everyone refers to as the "tocking" and is normal. Kyle from Out Spec talked about it on his first reviews of the Rivian..
I also have this sound too, which is clearly different from what @dduffey's recording. Because this sound is clearly from the rear and more of a low pitched clunking rather than a click. It feels like there is some slack in the drive train not suspension. Although I feel this is getting worse since delivery. Even if I try to drive super smooth with accelerator, it always reproduces. Before it was only there if I drive unsmoothly on purpose
Sponsored

Iwannarivian

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Panamera 4, Wrangler, MB C250, Civic Sport
Occupation
pretending to be retired
Clubs

I'm not sure if I consider this a problem, but I'm looking for feedback about how many people are experiencing a similar behavior before I put in a service request.

At slow speeds, especially when set to high regen, my truck is making a 'tocking' sound when starting out or coming to a stop. I'm thinking there is a bit of slop in one or more of the motors, the half shaft, and/or the axel. I can make it sing the song of its people by basically rocking the truck back and forth using the accelerator.

I recall @OutofSpecKyle mentioning it in one of his videos and being fairly dismissive of it, but I'm uncertain if that is because the truck was a short-term loaner. It really doesn't bother me, honestly.

So, what say you - are you experiencing something similar? Would you start a repair order on it? Please vote in the poll and share your thoughts.
Funny that I just started hearing it todayā€¦and then I see this post! Weird! I initially thought something was rolling around in a seat pocket or back seat or gear tunnelā€¦but unfortunately doesnā€™t seem to be the casešŸ˜©

M00v0vr

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T MY
Occupation
entrepreneur/ski race coach
I also have said clunk/tock sound, however only in "Conserve Mode". I have tried to reproduce in "All Purpose" with no success. FWIW my loaner did not have this issue/sound and it was delivered to me in Conserve Mode.

CGM55082

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
PR
I also have this sound too, which is clearly different from what @dduffey's recording. Because this sound is clearly from the rear and more of a low pitched clunking rather than a click. It feels like there is some slack in the drive train not suspension. Although I feel this is getting worse since delivery. Even if I try to drive super smooth with accelerator, it always reproduces. Before it was only there if I drive unsmoothly on purpose
Saying it feels like slack in the drive train is a great way to put it. That's exactly how I feel and when I hear the tock sound. I had service look at it. They lubed the half shafts and that reduced the sounds by about 80 percent for me. For what it's worth, service said some noise, tocking/clicking/etc. between the driveline accelerating and decelerating is normal. I'd take that with a grain of salt, but I will say the lubing of the half shafts has reduced it to the point that it doesn't concern me near as much.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Every single one Iā€™ve driven (3) has made this sound.

Sponsored

dduffey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY
I just started hearing this too. I'm also pretty sure it was not there at delivery. Started having this sound around 2000 miles. Mainly when going from 0-10 and 10-0. I didnt record outside, but this feels like the same thing from what I hear inside. Also I noticed this in conserve front drive mode, with all purpose, I dont hear it? Is that the same for you?

Did you get yours fixed finally by service center? Or they'd said "behaves correctly"?
I didn't have the clicks until using conserve mode, but I do hear it in all modes. It's more obvious/reproduced in conserve.

I have not taken it in for service yet (waiting until local SC).

PurpleTrain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Saying it feels like slack in the drive train is a great way to put it. That's exactly how I feel and when I hear the tock sound. I had service look at it. They lubed the half shafts and that reduced the sounds by about 80 percent for me. For what it's worth, service said some noise, tocking/clicking/etc. between the driveline accelerating and decelerating is normal. I'd take that with a grain of salt, but I will say the lubing of the half shafts has reduced it to the point that it doesn't concern me near as much.
The thing I donā€™t understand from an engineering perspective is if itā€™s really slack, why would lube help with it? 2 parts are still hitting each other even with lube in between. Then, why would it still make that noise in the back when I disengage rear by putting in conserve mode?

Last time I was at SF service center, one of the advisors is very knowledgeable. He did say older builds have some bigger tolerance in the rear shaft/mounting and thatā€™s what Iā€™m hearing. He said newer builds should have tighter tolerance. But I havenā€™t driven anything > 5000 VIN. I guess mine is getting worse because something might be loose too?

Last edited:

CGM55082

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
PR
The thing I donā€™t understand from an engineering perspective is if itā€™s really slack, why would lube help with it? 2 parts are still hitting each other even with lube in between. Then, why would it still make that noise in the back when I disengage rear by putting in conserve mode?

Last time I was at SF service center, one of the advisors is very knowledgeable. He did say newer builds have some bigger tolerance in the rear shaft/mounting and thatā€™s what Iā€™m hearing. He said newer builds should have tighter tolerance. But I havenā€™t driven anything > 5000 VIN. I guess mine is getting worse because something might be loose too?
Interesting that the service advisor made those comments. If it's truly the case that they tightened the tolerances, then it would indicate there was a problem of sorts, which I have to believe is the case. That kind of slop in the drivetrain can't be good and will eventually start to tear things apart. Hopefully it's something they will recall/retrofit on the earlier models we have.

PurpleTrain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I didn't have the clicks until using conserve mode, but I do hear it in all modes. It's more obvious/reproduced in conserve.

I have not taken it in for service yet (waiting until local SC).
Mine is going in soon for https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...hen-slowing-down-with-regen.6507/#post-172593

Took them 2 months to get me an appointment to just look at it when I told them this felt like a safety concern and something felt loose, and I donā€™t even expect them to fix it right this time. The particular SC I worked with has always been over confident and lack of skills. Oh and damaging your car while they work on it. Itā€™s a shame the engineering team is relatively good and passionate about the products, but service feels like a 3rd party company that has nothing to do with product. And they always use ā€œnew companyā€ as an excuse. Sure I expect new company being slow and having issues with early products, but fixing the car the wrong way and not being transparent? Even the advisor I worked with had enough with management and left the company.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I think this noise is from small movement between the male splines on the drive shafts and the female grooves in the hub. But mine has not been in yet for it, but it does do it.

Last edited:

Sponsored

PurpleTrain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Interesting that the service advisor made those comments. If it's truly the case that they tightened the tolerances, then it would indicate there was a problem of sorts, which I have to believe is the case. That kind of slop in the drivetrain can't be good and will eventually start to tear things apart. Hopefully it's something they will recall/retrofit on the earlier models we have.
he Basically said the same thing as Out of spec review. He also kinda mentioned the new software has been revising the power delivery. Essentially making the car less violent and smoother, which is common even for ICE for better throttle mapping. I doubt they will ever fix/retrofit. Look at the silver stripe incident. All the silver I saw had that problem, and Rivian never admitted it or do a recall. And i told my guide a few time at delivery, hoping to help them with some datapoints and rectify the issue at the plant. They are too busy to care about my datapoint.

cbuckley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
he Basically said the same thing as Out of spec review. He also kinda mentioned the new software has been revising the power delivery. Essentially making the car less violent and smoother, which is common even for ICE for better throttle mapping. I doubt they will ever fix/retrofit. Look at the silver stripe incident. All the silver I saw had that problem, and Rivian never admitted it or do a recall. And i told my guide a few time at delivery, hoping to help them with some datapoints and rectify the issue at the plant. They are too busy to care about my datapoint.
What is this silver stripe incident that you speak of?

CGM55082

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
PR
Mine is going in soon for https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...hen-slowing-down-with-regen.6507/#post-172593

Took them 2 months to get me an appointment to just look at it when I told them this felt like a safety concern and something felt loose, and I donā€™t even expect them to fix it right this time. The particular SC I worked with has always been over confident and lack of skills. Oh and damaging your car while they work on it. Itā€™s a shame the engineering team is relatively good and passionate about the products, but service feels like a 3rd party company that has nothing to do with product. And they always use ā€œnew companyā€ as an excuse. Sure I expect new company being slow and having issues with early products, but fixing the car the wrong way and not being transparent? Even the advisor I worked with had enough with management and left the company.
I'm curious if El Segundo is the service center you went to, because you assessment of their inabilities reflects my experience with them. My truck is not level, yes you heard that right -- the passenger side front is lower than the rest of the truck. There are many others with the same issue. Service at El Segundo said they fixed it and did not. Now the truck has to go back in yet again for the same issue, but this time I insisted on a different service center. Just hope they can do better than the last one. Oh, and El Segundo left me a nice souvenir in my truck -- a gouge in the paint on the door sill that goes down to the metal.

PurpleTrain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I'm curious if El Segundo is the service center you went to, because you assessment of their inabilities reflects my experience with them. My truck is not level, yes you heard that right -- the passenger side front is lower than the rest of the truck. There are many others with the same issue. Service at El Segundo said they fixed it and did not. Now the truck has to go back in yet again for the same issue, but this time I insisted on a different service center. Just hope they can do better than the last one. Oh, and El Segundo left me a nice souvenir in my truck -- a gouge in the paint on the door sill that goes down to the metal.
Wow, Iā€™m sorry to hear you pr experience, but also glad I wasnā€™t alone or being picky. My SC is SF. They scratched my paint too. It was so deep there was metal shavings.

I actually took it pretty well, cuz to me what matters is how they stand up behind their mistakes. Well, they didnā€™t really stand behind it to my expecration. The service manager, no offense, was pretty dumb. Not only did the manager not understand anything related to automotive(paint, clear coat etc), she/he did not have experience in management and understanding of possible fallout/collaterals whenever a repair happens. She/he kept insisting ā€œoh I only asked worker to do this one thing; I didnā€™t ask him to scratch your paint. I didnā€™t understand why it happenedā€ as if itā€™s not their fault. Iā€™m still in this mess. Guide said will try to help but no movement after months. It was honestly worse than any dealership experience I had before lol. Shocking. And I had a handful vehicles before this.

I was actually hoping to go back to SC as late as possible cuz I donā€™t want to be Guinea pig anymore. Thereā€™s no other nearby SC for me. So as you can imagine Iā€™m really nervous going back there now, worrying they might F up more. I heard Costa Mesa was not bad. I went there before with my friendā€™s car. They havent made any mistake yet and were suprisingly quick.

In general, Iā€™m pretty frustrated(with service). My guide and many people know Iā€™m essentially a Rivian ambassador. Iā€™ve given numerous friends/coworkers rides in mine, and a small portion of that turned into preorders. Iā€™ve filed good service requests with evidence and steps to reproduce to help them pinpoint issues. Iā€™ve taken the car to the racetrack where dozens people came and talked to me. Iā€™ve considered go working for them. But damn lol, Rivian doesnā€™t care, at least not now.
Sponsored

Last edited: