Tiger stripes in hood paint

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Ok, so after coming down from Cloud 9, I’ve noticed that the hood has lines in the paint. Isn’t the only way to fix this a re-spray? Needless to say I’ll bring this up with my guide but what a bummer. ?

Rivian R1T R1S Tiger stripes in hood paint 9EFC7AD7-7A9B-465F-8C54-2DECC987C384

Rivian R1T R1S Tiger stripes in hood paint 5EE79CF1-887B-4817-9DB0-188EC529D5A8
Sponsored

Longhorngirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Actuary
Congrats to another one of my fellow Texans getting their truck. Silver looks great. Not sure if paint correction can fix, but I bet @kanundrum knows the answer.

Davethadog

First Name
YaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Trucks, bikes, excavators
Lol yeah this is bad application. These cars are sprayed with rotary bells that spin at like 80,000 rpm to atomize paint very finely. Looks like the flake made its way to the ends of the pattern with bad overlap - probably too dry. The guns and spray parameters are temperamental and maintaining them is equal parts art and science, looks like the paint shop is still on the science portion.

They owe you a new hood skin at the least, but to my knowledge they spray these all in one go, doors and hood included so check elsewhere. With any luck it was only the hood that was affected but often times the same robot that does the hood does the roof so check that and the front bumper too.

OP
OP
DaveA

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Lol yeah this is bad application. These cars are sprayed with rotary bells that spin at like 80,000 rpm to atomize paint very finely. Looks like the flake made its way to the ends of the pattern with bad overlap - probably too dry. The guns and spray parameters are temperamental and maintaining them is equal parts art and science, looks like the paint shop is still on the science portion.

They owe you a new hood skin at the least, but to my knowledge they spray these all in one go, doors and hood included so check elsewhere. With any luck it was only the hood that was affected but often times the same robot that does the hood does the roof so check that and the front bumper too.
Yeah, nothing sticks out on the rest of the body. It’s very strange.

Sponsored

Davethadog

First Name
YaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yeah, nothing sticks out on the rest of the body. It’s very strange.
Looking at the clip of their paint shop painting a yellow car, looks like two robots do the hood and roof. Maybe unagitated paint in one of the lines. It happens but usually they don’t ship it!

OP
OP
DaveA

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Looking at the clip of their paint shop painting a yellow car, looks like two robots do the hood and roof. Maybe unagitated paint in one of the lines. It happens but usually they don’t ship it!
You think maybe something happened to the hood and it was repainted in rework or something?

Davethadog

First Name
YaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You think maybe something happened to the hood and it was repainted in rework or something?
Anything is possible! I have hand sprayed cars coming off the line with several hot pots with varying degrees of candy in the clear to match inconsistent robotic application. Stopping the paint line is a really big no-no. Harley has a whole room after their robots on one of their lines specifically for weird manually applied antics and backup for equipment failures.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Ok, so after coming down from Cloud 9, I’ve noticed that the hood has lines in the paint. Isn’t the only way to fix this a re-spray?
This is what happens when you gun it everywhere right after delivery. You're supposed to keep the G's below 1 for the first week. But hey, you got the racing stripes for free!

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
That sure isn’t something that will get fixed by going to the local detailer. Sorry man. Hopefully Rivian does right by you. :confused:

Jus10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sold it in August thinking my R1T was close.....
I had a silver 2015 c7 corvette have similar issues with the metallic flake portion, but it was nearly the entire car. They did not ever correct it, but they acknowledge silver is tricky to perfect. I questioned how every other mgfr could figure it out at lower price points, and I received no response.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
If it wasn’t a (mostly) glass roof it’d probably show up there too. But in the pictures, at least, the same defect doesn’t appear to be present on the leading edge of the roof.

someone…multiple someones saw this and signed off on it.

Michaewh

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 BMW i3 BEV, 2016 Mercedes Benz GLA45 AMG
Occupation
Business Owner
Maybe its like a misprint at the US Mint, now more valuable! ;)

Davethadog

First Name
YaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If it wasn’t a (mostly) glass roof it’d probably show up there too. But in the pictures, at least, the same defect doesn’t appear to be present on the leading edge of the roof.

someone…multiple someones saw this and signed off on it.
If you watched the gigafactory Berlin opening you’ll notice that the overhead lights are big bright horizontal inspection lights. These serve a purpose in helping the eye to identify defects. Usually final inspection areas have lights that go both directions for helping to identify flaws like this. I wonder if rivian has caught on to this yet?
Sponsored