Sponsored

Low speed 'Tocking' when stopping or starting

Low speed drivetrain 'tock' when starting out or stopping? Would you contact service?

• Total voters

dduffey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY
I have the same thing and have had it since day one. I assume that's what everyone refers to as the "tocking" and is normal. Kyle from Out Spec talked about it on his first reviews of the Rivian..
I don't hear a sharp click in Kyle's video, more of a muffled knock. Even in the driver's seat there are two distinct "click" sounds (one from each front wheel).
Sponsored

CGM55082

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
PR
I don't hear a sharp click in Kyle's video, more of a muffled knock. Even in the driver's seat there are two distinct "click" sounds (one from each front wheel).
I honestly don't remember the sound clear enough in Kyle's video. What I do know is my truck makes a very similar, if not exactly the same, sound as in the video posted in this link. I don't want to assume anything but if I had to guess, I'm sure Rivian would say it's normal as it's a sound that has been widely reported and others were told was normal.

omamatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T Adventure; 2020 BMW X5
I have a sound but not the "knock" in the video above, it is more of a distinctive "click" vs. a "tock". I am also pretty sure the truck didn't have this sound at delivery but developed over time.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bqiFxwAvjLjhKTz78
Same tick/tock/click/etc. Now add squeaking to the video when hitting a bump and you've got my ride. :)

chickp

First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Audi A7, 1977 Datsun 280z, 2022 Ioniq 5
Occupation
Network Engineer
I posted this in a different thread but seems relevant here too:

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
There are two different sounds people have talked about that are different. What Kyle showed in that early video review was while slowing creeping forward, but in "drive/power" state. It was a repeating "thunk" noise. This would be something I'd contact service about, but I've never experienced it in my truck. In Kyle's own vehicle, he didn't notice it.

A different noise is when transitioning back/forth between power/regen, particularly at lower speeds. It's really only audible with audio off and AC noise down or off. It's a sharper "click" noise as you swing the power meter from power to regen and back. That seems like it's a natural part of the design and not anything to contact service about.

Sponsored

dduffey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY
I posted this in a different thread but seems relevant here too:
Thanks for posting. I do hear a "creaking" sound here that I would assume is suspension movement. So to me there are three distinct sounds "thunking" (Kyle's). "creaking" (this), and "clicking" (mine ... which I think is more axel/spine sounds).

I'm fairly certain the axel click is not normal (had it on a previous high toque EV that was fixed), but I'm schedule a service to check out in any case.

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
I feel like they all may be similar enough indications of the same problem, the only variable being how much slop there is in the system - more slop, more bassy the noise.

keb33509

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I have a sound but not the "knock" in the video above, it is more of a distinctive "click" vs. a "tock". I am also pretty sure the truck didn't have this sound at delivery but developed over time.

I have this exact same sound on mine. Developed over the first ~500 miles. I had it in for service this last Friday. They said they fixed it, but they didn’t. They were closing when I picked it up, so I’ll have to schedule another service call. It’s about 200 miles away, so definitely annoying.

If you get yours serviced, and they actually fix it, I’ll be curious what the resolution is.

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
I have this exact same sound on mine. Developed over the first ~500 miles. I had it in for service this last Friday. They said they fixed it, but they didn’t. They were closing when I picked it up, so I’ll have to schedule another service call. It’s about 200 miles away, so definitely annoying.

If you get yours serviced, and they actually fix it, I’ll be curious what the resolution is.
I was told they fixed it as well. Truck is due back to me on Tuesday.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I have some clunky suspension that I’m not fond of. I need to crawl under and make sure that recall doesn’t apply to me…. If not, it may just be a quirk of how they’ve set things up. I don’t love it, but I can live with it so long as it’s stout + reliable.

FL_EV

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Occupation
retired
Just got mine back from SC for a creaking noise when stopping/starting. They got rid of that noise and I am now left with this tocking sound. My Tesla 3 and now my wife’s Y has a noise when pressing/releasing the accelerator pedal. My R1T noise is similar in that it is pedal related. At first I thought it was the stopping/starting causing it. i assume it is something electronically engaging/disengaging.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
These trucks have a "hold" mode. When you slow down sufficiently using regen eventually the vehicle transitions to the friction brake (H in a circle appears on the display). You can hear the friction brake or its actuator locking up. When you accelerate again the friction brake is released and again you hear the thunk. AFAIK this is normal. My MX does it too.

dduffey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY
I hear three distinct sounds in mine (creak, low frequency tock, high frequency click).. One of them is clearly an axle spine click.

The click often happens on high performance high torque cars, but it should be fixed and is not "normal".

PurpleTrain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T

I just started hearing this too. I'm also pretty sure it was not there at delivery. Started having this sound around 2000 miles. Mainly when going from 0-10 and 10-0. I didnt record outside, but this feels like the same thing from what I hear inside. Also I noticed this in conserve front drive mode, with all purpose, I dont hear it? Is that the same for you?

Did you get yours fixed finally by service center? Or they'd said "behaves correctly"?
Sponsored

Last edited: