Sponsored

Low speed 'Tocking' when stopping or starting

Low speed drivetrain 'tock' when starting out or stopping? Would you contact service?

• Total voters

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

I hear both a “click” between regen and acceleration that reminds me of the sound a relay makes when closing.

the low speed “tock” is definitely there and seems to have developed somewhere over the first 1000 miles of ownership. Not sure if it’s getting worse or not and I wasn’t planning on servicing it though from this it sounds like maybe we should?

The “tock” definitely feels like slack in the drivetrain and I seem to hear it as the drivetrain “engages”…

…or maybe there’s a Zlock behind the clock… for those still reading Dr Seuss on a regular basis.
Sponsored

Deleted member 7086

At 2,000 miles my R1T developed the same noise. Similar to a ICE drive shaft noise when the U joint develops wear and slack occurs. Contacted Rivian still waiting for call back regarding an inspection date and to take care of some other minor repairs.

CGM55082

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
PR
Wow, I’m sorry to hear you pr experience, but also glad I wasn’t alone or being picky. My SC is SF. They scratched my paint too. It was so deep there was metal shavings.

I actually took it pretty well, cuz to me what matters is how they stand up behind their mistakes. Well, they didn’t really stand behind it to my expecration. The service manager, no offense, was pretty dumb. Not only did the manager not understand anything related to automotive(paint, clear coat etc), she/he did not have experience in management and understanding of possible fallout/collaterals whenever a repair happens. She/he kept insisting “oh I only asked worker to do this one thing; I didn’t ask him to scratch your paint. I didn’t understand why it happened” as if it’s not their fault. I’m still in this mess. Guide said will try to help but no movement after months. It was honestly worse than any dealership experience I had before lol. Shocking. And I had a handful vehicles before this.

I was actually hoping to go back to SC as late as possible cuz I don’t want to be Guinea pig anymore. There’s no other nearby SC for me. So as you can imagine I’m really nervous going back there now, worrying they might F up more. I heard Costa Mesa was not bad. I went there before with my friend’s car. They havent made any mistake yet and were suprisingly quick.

In general, I’m pretty frustrated(with service). My guide and many people know I’m essentially a Rivian ambassador. I’ve given numerous friends/coworkers rides in mine, and a small portion of that turned into preorders. I’ve filed good service requests with evidence and steps to reproduce to help them pinpoint issues. I’ve taken the car to the racetrack where dozens people came and talked to me. I’ve considered go working for them. But damn lol, Rivian doesn’t care, at least not now.
So the ironic part of the situation after hearing your story is the new service center I'm scheduled to go to after my bad experience at El Segundo is San Francisco. I live between LA and the Bay Area so they are both options for me. Now I'm second guessing having the truck sent to SF. They are supposed to take care of the gouge in the paint that El Segundo left me. Part of me wonders if I'd be better off just having a local detail shop use touch-up paint on it, get it looking as best they can and then putting a protective layer of PPF on the sill to prevent it from happening again. Not sure I trust the service center to fix it right and not mess up something else in the process.

Man, Rivian really needs to get their service in order. It's terrible that these same unacceptable issues are happening at multiple service centers. Like you, I'm a brand ambassador, but my experiences with service are blunting my enthusiasm. Rivian really needs to take care of its early adopters.

PurpleTrain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
So the ironic part of the situation after hearing your story is the new service center I'm scheduled to go to after my bad experience at El Segundo is San Francisco. I live between LA and the Bay Area so they are both options for me. Now I'm second guessing having the truck sent to SF. They are supposed to take care of the gouge in the paint that El Segundo left me. Part of me wonders if I'd be better off just having a local detail shop use touch-up paint on it, get it looking as best they can and then putting a protective layer of PPF on the sill to prevent it from happening again. Not sure I trust the service center to fix it right and not mess up something else in the process.

Man, Rivian really needs to get their service in order. It's terrible that these same unacceptable issues are happening at multiple service centers. Like you, I'm a brand ambassador, but my experiences with service are blunting my enthusiasm. Rivian really needs to take care of its early adopters.
oh uhh, hahaha. Let me tell you what they will do. "Send the car off to a 3rd party body shop(Chilton), then the shop will be like OK be back in a month because of the backlog. Then they finish, only to find out they did a poor job repairing the paint." Because this is what happened to me and others. After I complained, SC manager was gonna take the car back again to strip the side and paint blend again(tbh the only way to fix it properly), at that point I'm like nah bruh. Remember, repair collateral, common sense ehh?

As of now, I'm not going back there unless it's some bigger issues(like I'd like to at least understand the clunking sound). Like I said, there's a high chance they mess up again 🤦‍♂️I really wish when they fired those 6%, they can replace some service folks with better ones or invest more in the current ones. I also wish Rivian employees can see this. Perfect example how you work so hard and have an amazing product but service team is negating your effort.

Sorry OP if I'm blasting this thread with my service experience. If anyone is interested, feel free to reach out to me about my "service saga". I thought about writing a post before, but I like to give people second chance(in this case, 4th/5th chance) and I thought it was just me who had this extreme bad experience.

mrsparks

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram EcoDiesel
I was having similar issues with my truck. Dropped it off at the service center, hoping for a quick fix. Unfortunately they tell me the half shafts need replacing. Of course these are not in stock. Had to leave the truck there. Yuck!!

Sponsored

keb33509

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I was having similar issues with my truck. Dropped it off at the service center, hoping for a quick fix. Unfortunately they tell me the half shafts need replacing. Of course these are not in stock. Had to leave the truck there. Yuck!!
Completely replaced? Wtf…

The J-Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2020 BMW X5 M50
I also have the tock. It makes the car sound really clunky in stop and go traffic and it happens every time you accelerate or use regen. It is not the same noise as the auto hold engaging and disengaging. The auto hold noise is normal. This tock happens up to maybe 40 mph.

My truck was in the service center this week and they acknowledged the issue, but said it can't be fixed. It is due to a torque problem with a nut inside the front axles. The nut was coming loose during off road use, so they increased the torque. The increased torque caused the tocking. Said they have a redesign in progress. They told me "it's annoying but not a safety issue, have a nice day." Nothing was offered in terms of notifying me when the redesign is ready.

PurpleTrain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I dropped my vehicle off at SC today. Went out for a test ride with a tech. Basically he says "behaves normal"

We clearly heard clunking sound and I even showed this video posted by @dduffey:

I have a sound but not the "knock" in the video above, it is more of a distinctive "click" vs. a "tock". I am also pretty sure the truck didn't have this sound at delivery but developed over time.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bqiFxwAvjLjhKTz78

The resolution is to "inspect the front suspension, torque everything there", but again he says it's normal; it's just making feel better, even though I told him it was not there at delivery. Only noticed it after alignment. In terms of rear drive train clunking, again that's expected, just like the service advisor told me a few months ago. I will report back again about noise when I get the car back.

I get the feeling that SCs don't share data with each other. I asked how many people had/complained the clunking issue, he said maybe 1 before me. I said what about the failure mentioned here "https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/so-your-alignment-is-bad-maybe-this-is-why.7371/", none of them was aware of this either.

Sponsored

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
I had the radio off during my 30 minute test drive and never heard any of the noises you guys are referring to. Definitely sounds abnormal.

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Ioniq 5, Lucid Air Touring
Just picked up my R1T yesterday. Windows down, stereo off, and at slow speeds I can make out the "tocking" sound. I'm not concerned for the moment.

All of the other EVs I've owned make sounds I wasn't used to at slow speeds because you can hear everything. The suspension "squishing" sound, every little creak, rocks in the wheel wells, etc. My Model X had the drivetrain shutter which was the worst I experienced. They all had some form of drivetrain noise.

I inspected my suspension bolts, and my alignment feels great. I'll see if it gets much louder or if I start to have alignment or other issues.

idiocyafoot

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla S, LX470, R1200GSA, 500EXC-F
My ‘clicking / ticking / tocking’ sound has gotten progressively worse. Little over 1,000 miles.

I try very hard to be patient with issues like these, especially in ‘early adopter’ mode where we have to proceed with at least a little reasonable patience, understanding and support….

…as long as they make it right. Especially if it turns into a real impacting issue.

When I first heard it I thought ‘maybe a normal thing.’ Then I thought ‘yeah but it’s just one side’. Now I’m thinking ‘and it’s getting worse.’

That does not add up to ‘normal operation’.

So I do plan on raising it with service (constructively) and expect that at some point it will be rectified (along with anything that might have occurred additional wear as a result). And at this point I have no reason to think they won’t.

My strong suspicion given decades of knowledgeably owning and working on vehicles…and some other reports…and common sense…is that it’s a CV issue…likely related to the adjustable suspension (and when and how it raises and lowers…or did on prior software releases).

Not the end of the world yet. Gonna give them the heads up and opportunity to do the right thing. Hopefully doesn’t turn into anything more than that. If it does then my tone and volume will probably change…but trying to be patient and optimistic (which is not easy for me.)

G_Land79

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Audi S4, 2014 Dodge Durango
Occupation
Statistician
Clubs

I have the slight ticking (during low speed creeping) and some squeek (which is more annoying) when I go from no throttle to moderate throttle (like leaving a stop light but not just while creeping).

I talked with Richmond service and they are aware of the squeek at least and have a plan to fix it with the CVs. I take it in on September 8th so I'll update in a few weeks. In general I'm not too worried about it as the ride is still fine.
Sponsored