Sponsored

Low speed 'Tocking' when stopping or starting

Low speed drivetrain 'tock' when starting out or stopping? Would you contact service?

• Total voters

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
Seems like this issue is getting to another level (saying hello to all former and current Model X owners).

Last week I had an appointment for lubricating that squeaking noise all trucks are doing, they fixed it. I brought up this tocking/clunking/knocking noise to their attention. Even one tech was out and took a ride with me and was able to confirm the sound.

After service, they told me it is LH CV-shaft related (of course I knew it) and told me to watch if it will be getting worse.

A week later it got cold here (40-50F) and I noticed 2 things:

1. Vibrations under hard acceleration (all propose mode) - As I said - hello Model X owners :)))
2. That tocking/clunking/knocking noise is more noticeable now. Especially after overnight parking. However, after 25-30 miles of driving it goes down to the same noise level as it's being a week ago.

I think this is not spline related issue as shown on the video for model 3 a page or 2 ago. I used to live in a really cold climate and had an 08" Subaru Legacy, when it was from -10F to -25F outside the lubrication inside the CV shafts was getting frozen and there was the same noise... We were fixing it by adding or replacing lubrication inside front CV axels... Just my 5c here :)

That noise is getting me crazy every time I hear it. Especially after Mode X with those issues, after S Plaid with those vibrations...
Hello @Mandarin. Yes, same experience. My endlessly vibrating MS Plaid half shaft curse has too followed me to Rivian. My R1T has less than a 1000 miles and tocks. At least it doesn’t vibrate like the Plaid, yet. I have not launched it in the All Purpose setting, and this I will leave for sport mode in the lowest setting.

John
“Shafted” once more….
Sponsored

Mandarin

First Name
Serg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Ride it hard and let it blow out... seems like the only way to shine some light on this issue.
This is what I'm doing. But this thing is special. I can't even break the tonneau cover... 11k miles in 4 months and no issue, only that tocking sound... But as My father always says "if something is wrong it will break". Now I wait.

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
This is what I'm doing. But this thing is special. I can't even break the tonneau cover... 11k miles in 4 months and no issue, only that tocking sound... But as My father always says "if something is wrong it will break". Now I wait.
Already put a service order in for a redesigned Tonneau unit as well. At least build quality is way better than my Tesla’s. No rattles either.

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
Thought it was worth mentioning in this thread that my tock is gone. I had my mobile recall service on Friday, which took 10 minutes, and drove all weekend tock-free. I haven't seen many reports of disappearing tocks following the recall torque tune, but I don't have it anymore.

My tock could be reliably produced when accelerating from a dead stop and when decelerating at low speeds. Will be interesting to see if it eventually returns after I log more miles, but for those out there experiencing the tock, at least in this one instance, it seems to have been fixed without replacing (or greasing) a bunch of different parts in the front end of the truck. YMMV.
I'm sure many of us are looking forward to an update on this from you after you've driven a few hundred miles.

OKRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T 10xxx
A visit to the Kansas service center for this particular issue and the recall did not offer any improvement for me. My truck was surprisingly quiet when I first got it but that's not the case now. This issue keeps getting worse and I'm only at ~1,500 miles.

I also dealt with the acceleration shudder in my Model X but had it addressed more than three years ago in a service bulletin and haven't had an issue since.

This Rivian issue is more frustrating (IMO) since it occurs during normal driving and very frequently. It's impossible to drive anywhere without hearing it. Hopefully Rivian will get this sorted sooner than later because this is pretty frustrating on otherwise near perfect vehicle. Meanwhile, it sounds like something is ready to fall off my truck at any moment.

Sponsored

R1T-8171

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Jeep Wrangler 4XE, Dodge Magnum SRT8
Occupation
CDJR Sales
Already put a service order in for a redesigned Tonneau unit as well. At least build quality is way better than my Tesla’s. No rattles either.
I was told (yesterday at the service center) until it breaks, they aren't fixing/replacing tonneau covers just because there's been a redesign.

R1T-8171

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Jeep Wrangler 4XE, Dodge Magnum SRT8
Occupation
CDJR Sales
Interesting policy. Shouldn't be too hard to get that upgrade.
This was probably something for the interim as parts are likely limited. I'm sure down the road they would retrofit those who need it but currently, other than being loud, I have no issues.

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T
This was probably something for the interim as parts are likely limited. I'm sure down the road they would retrofit those who need it but currently, other than being loud, I have no issues.
I just stopped using mine altogether. With winter coming, don't want to risk having a cover that's partially open or stuck in an awkward position.

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I was told (yesterday at the service center) until it breaks, they aren't fixing/replacing tonneau covers just because there's been a redesign.

Well, they are not fixing or replacing because there isn’t currently a redesigned part. Mine will be replaced when there is; I have an open ticket, tied to my VIN, to have them do so. Confirmed with Rivian service.

Edit: In fact, they told me to get in line now, rather than just waiting for the notice down the line. Those with service tickets will for some long before those without, per RiviN Service.

Sponsored

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
I'm going with the $800 manual option for my configuration. One less thing to break and the aluminum slats should last the life of the truck.

CLC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
What was the fix for the creaking? Mine is doing the same and Rivian wants me to bring it in to an SC. Seems like a widespread problem and want to know what the fix is before I waste a day from work and be without a vehicle for a day +. Thanks.

M4H4X

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T Launch Edition, 22 Corvette C8 Z51 2LT HTC
Occupation
Software Engineer
There is no permanent fix.

CLC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
My truck was scheduled to be picked up this coming Tuesday for a 3rd time in the Brooklyn SC to address tocking noise experienced when on and off accelerator at lower speeds. I emailed and called to see if bringing the truck in to address this would be any different: lubrication - noise abates for a little while the n comes back again. SC tech who finally called be back Friday evening advised the company is aware of the issue but has no fix at present other than lubricant again. I decided to cancel the appointment and hassle of being w/o the truck and wait (hopefully) for a more permanent fix. Anyone else get this same Feedback?

Mandarin

First Name
Serg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Okay, this issue is definitely going to another level.

Now I can hear this tocking noise on both front sides of the car, left and right. Also, I can hear it outside of the vehicle as a metal-clicking noise. More to say when it is happening I can feel it on the steering wheel.

I have opened a ticket yesterday and they called me back today, saying the closest appointment is for January 23rd :D This issue is definitely turning me nuts every time I drive, but my main concern is if those CV shafts will fail or not...
Sponsored