Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Panamera 4, Wrangler, MB C250, Civic Sport
Occupation
pretending to be retired
Clubs

Haven’t tried full “launch” since update, but did notice it limits you to 110 MPH vs 115 previously…WTF Rivian!
Sponsored

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Haven’t tried full “launch” since update, but did notice it limits you to 110 MPH vs 115 previously…WTF Rivian!
It's been limited to 111 mph since day 1, it's just the accuracy of the speedometer has been further dialed in.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Did two launches this morning, one up hill and a second flat ground. Both in sport, stiff, lowest, brake to the floor with gas all the way down, then release. 20" AT tires. To me, seems like it still hits its times, but does feel less violent off the start. I could also just be getting used to the acceleration.

Edit* Seems to be roughly 3.68 seconds going slightly up hill from the onset of acceleration (not including delay from brake release to initial acceleration) and 3.60 seconds on a flat road. Ambient temperature was about 12 degrees Celcius and battery was at 70ish SOC.

Last edited:

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I've always viewed one of the advantages of an electric vehicle as the opportunity to add new features occasionally. It never occurred to me that they could remove features that drew you to purchase. These sorts of things keep piling up, and here recently, for the first time ever, I've started considering reselling as an option.
What sorts of things keep piling up? Besides the (so far unproven) speculation in this thread, is there an example of another feature they have removed via updates?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Did two launches this morning, one up hill and a second flat ground. Both in sport, stiff, lowest, brake to the floor with gas all the way down, then release. 20" AT tires. To me, seems like it still hits its times, but does feel less violent off the start. I could also just be getting used to the acceleration.

Edit* Seems to be roughly 3.68 seconds going slightly up hill from the onset of acceleration (not including delay from brake release to initial acceleration) and 3.60 seconds on a flat road. Ambient temperature was about 12 degrees Celcius and battery was at 70ish SOC.
I didn't catch that you had km/h shown at first.

Sponsored

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Rivian has to know that people would notice a reduction in performance.

I’d like to know a couple things before getting too riled up…
1. Has anyone measured launch performance (like 0-60 mph or 0-100 kph) on the same R1 at the same location both before and after the update and documented an objective difference?

2. If there is a significant difference, do we know that this is an intentional change by Rivian or is it an unintended consequence of some other change which may be addressed in a future update?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I’d like to know a couple things before getting too riled up…
1. Has anyone measured launch performance (like 0-60 mph or 0-100 kph) on the same R1 at the same location both before and after the update and documented an objective difference?
If the weather cooperates I'll likely take my R1 to the drag strip soon. Since they haven't actually messed with the speed limiter, the times should be about the same. Might try to get someone to bring the R1S out as well to get a comparison run in.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I didn't catch that you had km/h shown at first.
Yeah, I mean if you want to see numbers fly by on your dash, change it to metric!

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
To me its a win-win if the only thing they did was change the acceleration ramp.

If its just as quick to 60mph than what difference does it really make? Isn't it more important to have fewer mechanical issues than a "seat in the pants feeling"?

The biggest issue I have with my R1T is the inability of the service department to actually fix the tok noise. So I get a mechanical noise any time I moderately accelerate, decelerate, corner, and even some bumps. I've taken it into service three times for the issue.

I doubt this acceleration change will have any impact as I've never launched mine. My tok slowly gets worse within days of a service center visit.

I really thought they nailed it on the 3rd attempt, but within 24 hours I noticed it getting worse.

Sponsored

usofrob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3, lotus Elise
Occupation
MBSE
If the weather cooperates I'll likely take my R1 to the drag strip soon. Since they haven't actually messed with the speed limiter, the times should be about the same. Might try to get someone to bring the R1S out as well to get a comparison run in.
Doesn't Draggy have an ability to measure 1/4mile on the road? (maybe not the safest.) But, 0-60 should be easy enough to do. Maybe hard to do it a few times in a row with different types of launches though. Okay, I guess the drag strip is the best place to get some data. :)

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Can confirm, in Sport Mode holding brake and releasing it the launch is significantly weaker after the update. This is a major letdown, one of the primary reasons I bought the quad motor was for the performance. This feels like a bait and switch, the fact that functionality I had yesterday that was part of the reason I purchased the product can just be taken away via an update seems unethical.

Even worse is not disclosing this. Remember Apple's Batterygate where they were crippling the performance of phones? There are a lot of parallels here.
Time to sell

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT

3.6x seems about right, considering you have the 20" AT's and 100kph is more than 60mph.
I have an old Dragy run of 3.20 saved that I can compare to maybe this weekend, I'm curious to see the acceleration G difference with what people are reporting.
Sponsored