First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Engineer
We've got to be getting close to a Rivian Forums Upfitter Guide at this point.
Sponsored

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
This is really dope. I can't wait to see more of it.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
This thing is bad azz. I’d never come home.

Based on the flimsy hard sides I’ve seen in bear country, this is more than adequate. If one is really worried, I guess you could just keep it dropped and sleep below?

Last edited:
OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Here is the final set of efficiency numbers for my drive back to Oregon from So Cal. Not as bad as I expected, certainly not markedly worse than the drive down but I’ll admit I was keeping it below 65 mph for the most part with the exception of the Anderson to Weed stretch where I was driving 75+ and with elevation increase (and rain) resulted in trip low efficiency.

Drive back with the camper
Rivian R1T R1S JJ’s Overland R1T Build V2 w/ Pop Top Camper Shell (Oru Designs) 1681143379030

Drive down without the camper
Rivian R1T R1S JJ’s Overland R1T Build V2 w/ Pop Top Camper Shell (Oru Designs) 1681143568633

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Build Update:

Today’s project is insulation. I’m using standard foam board insulation that I bought at Home Depot, mix of 1” and 1.5”. Plan is to use the 1.5“ (pics below) around the base of the camper and the 1” around the base of the tent portion, possibly 1” on the doors but still deciding. I am so far using just friction to hold it in but I have some double sided tape I may use on final installation (I have electrical to do before I get too far ahead of myself).

I am trying to decide how I want to finish over the insulation. One thought is 1/4” tongue and groove cedar that wouldn’t add much weight but I am open to suggestions if anyone has ideas.

Rivian R1T R1S JJ’s Overland R1T Build V2 w/ Pop Top Camper Shell (Oru Designs) 18CA20A0-240F-4F57-9732-532118B27665

Rivian R1T R1S JJ’s Overland R1T Build V2 w/ Pop Top Camper Shell (Oru Designs) CC63C4A9-600E-4F08-A2B3-8BE438D82475

Rivian R1T R1S JJ’s Overland R1T Build V2 w/ Pop Top Camper Shell (Oru Designs) 150253C3-FDCA-490F-A48F-1F7B100246B3

Rivian R1T R1S JJ’s Overland R1T Build V2 w/ Pop Top Camper Shell (Oru Designs) 61419C64-3643-4514-A0C8-57D2106B3CA2

Sponsored

zgStevieD

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T & OneWheel XR
Occupation
Oilfield Trash
SO glad I clicked on this post! I've been interested in options like this since the day I pre-ordered. And had no idea about Oru, GFC, or Super Pacific.
Yours looks awesome and I'll be following to see how it all builds out! :)

Phatman113

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
I am trying to decide how I want to finish over the insulation. One thought is 1/4” tongue and groove cedar that wouldn’t add much weight but I am open to suggestions if anyone has ideas.
You could do a cork flooring... pretty thin, cork is renewable, would add a tiny amount of additional insulation...
tiles: https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Cork-Tiles-12-x12/dp/B086QB1SSK
or just a larger 'wall panel' type cork: https://www.amazon.com/Cork-Sheets-Natural-2-Pack-4-thick-w-adhesive/dp/B099KPTR6H

both of those are self-adhesive... for working around the windows the tiles might be easier to work with, but I'm not totally sure.

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

You could do a cork flooring... pretty thin, cork is renewable, would add a tiny amount of additional insulation...
tiles: https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Cork-Tiles-12-x12/dp/B086QB1SSK
or just a larger 'wall panel' type cork: https://www.amazon.com/Cork-Sheets-Natural-2-Pack-4-thick-w-adhesive/dp/B099KPTR6H

both of those are self-adhesive... for working around the windows the tiles might be easier to work with, but I'm not totally sure.
It's an interesting suggestion, not something I would have thought of. I wonder how they would stand up to moisture. I did consider some other peel and stick panels made of plastic as well, lots of options.

Phatman113

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
It's an interesting suggestion, not something I would have thought of. I wonder how they would stand up to moisture. I did consider some other peel and stick panels made of plastic as well, lots of options.
I would assume it'd do ok, as it's intended to be a floor. It'll probably absorb a little, but then dry out again when given the chance...

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Just wanted to add an update in case anyone was considering purchasing one of these. I am having a couple of issues.

Issue 1: I have concerns about the back door, the way the latches work it is quit easy to open them even when it's shut and locked, not going to say more because I don't want to advertise online how to break in my camper. Maybe their cheaper door design would be better. I may be able to solve this by self installing another latch.
Issue 2: Even more concerning it doesn't appear to be water tight, I first noticed while camping when raining and quickly noticed that water was dripping around the seam on the roof. I talked with Oru and we found some cracking along the roof so I spent a day with some Flex Seal and put a new bead along that crack, I had hoped problem solved. Nope was out driving today in the rain and when I got home I opened it up and noticed my mattress was soaked, I think water coming in from multiple places. I'm not sure.

Oru is assuring me they will make everything right, so TBD on the above issues.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

How's road noise?

My dream setup is a GFC or Lone Peak, but I don't love the tradeoffs... might just stick with the condor. Or buy an airstream 😂
Thought about you when I saw this, lighter, cheaper and sure they could make one for a Rivian. Who knows what coming soon means.

Rivian R1T R1S JJ’s Overland R1T Build V2 w/ Pop Top Camper Shell (Oru Designs) 1681440090934

Phatman113

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
Also keep your eyes on Lone Peak Overland, they're about the same price point and have said the Rivian version is coming s00n... (they've got a current backlog to fill and just moved into a larger space to help with faster manufacturing...)
https://www.lonepeakoverland.com/

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I'm resourceful, don't worry.
Most criminals are ;) Anyone properly motivated will find a way to break into almost anything in my experience.

Seriously though Oru has listened to my concern and plans to offer me a solution shortly to secure those doors.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Most criminals are ;) Anyone properly motivated will find a way to break into almost anything in my experience.

Seriously though Oru has listened to my concern and plans to offer me a solution shortly to secure those doors.
That's great to hear. Too many stories out there about these overlanding companies not standing behind their product.
Sponsored