Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Still a work in progress but I am pretty happy with how the slide out for my fridge came out.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

So been busy the last week or so and I think I have my kitchen design dialed in, still need to fully install the tanks and the plumbing. Also been working on finishing over the insulation still some loose edges to polish but it’s all coming together.
Rivian R1T R1S JJ’s Overland R1T Build V2 w/ Pop Top Camper Shell (Oru Designs) EABF39A5-B2EA-447A-85C7-1358D751368B

LivingInKaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch Green Forest Edge
Occupation
Own Fabrication Company
Clubs

So been busy the last week or so and I think I have my kitchen design dialed in, still need to fully install the tanks and the plumbing. Also been working on finishing over the insulation still some loose edges to polish but it’s all coming together.
EABF39A5-B2EA-447A-85C7-1358D751368B.jpeg
You like using 80/20 I see ! L

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Sponsored

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

So coming along.

Plumbing is working, including the water heater.
I inlaid another cutting board as a counter top
I put 1/2” foam insulation between the ribs on the floor and then got a 3X4 floor mat at Home Depot

Next steps basically finishing touches, including a couple of doors to hide the battery and the rest of the plumbing. Also need to figure out a waste tank.

Rivian R1T R1S JJ’s Overland R1T Build V2 w/ Pop Top Camper Shell (Oru Designs) E7F71DBD-7A98-46D5-A50C-B31419C0AAE3

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I drove down a very rocky and muddy road to get to this one. Everything stayed where it’s supposed to!

Rivian R1T R1S JJ’s Overland R1T Build V2 w/ Pop Top Camper Shell (Oru Designs) IMG_4789

Rivian R1T R1S JJ’s Overland R1T Build V2 w/ Pop Top Camper Shell (Oru Designs) IMG_4791

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Any idea what your total weight ended up at?
8650, 4000 on the front axle and 4650 on the back. That is with me my dog and all my gear/food/bevs for this trip.

w/o gear and the spare I was at 8150

The kitchen including the fridge, microwave, water heater, sink etc is 150-200

Sponsored

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Last edited:

Cactus_Hugr

First Name
K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Max Pack Off Road (Ad preorder holder Jan 2020
Occupation
Environmental Compliance Services
Appreciate everything you're doing to keep us updated. In March I emailed them about R1T option and weight on rack allowed when opening (I believe this is zero) and never heard back, so I was shocked to stumble across this thread just today.

Curious why you don't like barn doors though - seems they're really out of the way and could be used as hanging storage ???

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Appreciate everything you're doing to keep us updated. In March I emailed them about R1T option and weight on rack allowed when opening (I believe this is zero) and never heard back, so I was shocked to stumble across this thread just today.

Curious why you don't like barn doors though - seems they're really out of the way and could be used as hanging storage ???
To your question, I’m surprised they didn’t answer but I think if you messaged them on instagram you would get a quicker response. You can open it with weight on the cross bars but depends on how much, if you wanted some permanent weight up there you would have to upgrade the struts. For me I have 40lbs struts in the back and 30lbs in the front, I am already talking to them about upgrading the front to 40lbs after adding solar panels to the roof.

A few reasons I don’t like the barn doors, 1st off you can’t open them from the outside so you have to open the tailgate first and the gaskets kinda stick so it makes it a little challenging to open. With the compromise on the seal due to the unique way the R1T tailgate opens mine is not water tight. The way they implemented these barn doors they are not very secure in my opinion, very easy to break into it. Last of all a big window on a swing up window will provide better visibility during driving the barn doors obstruct the center a bit.

For what it’s worth Oru is building me a standard swing out door and replacing my barn doors, it’s possible they could design them better for the R1T but I get the feeling they didn’t like any of the potential solutions they came up with so far.

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Updated OP with component list and build cost and a set of pictures. Build video to come when I have time.

Carloc

First Name
Carlo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
If LPO does bring their product to market for the R1T and the frunk water tank, camp kitchen, and 12V frunk cooler/freezer from @BoxGods ships as well then next summer is going to be epic 😍
The 12Gal tank from BoxGods should be put in mid to late July. Fingers crossed
Sponsored