First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Also keep your eyes on Lone Peak Overland, they're about the same price point and have said the Rivian version is coming s00n... (they've got a current backlog to fill and just moved into a larger space to help with faster manufacturing...)
https://www.lonepeakoverland.com/
Yeah I've been keeping an eye on them since they announced, and they're relatively local to me. I was skeptical at first but the recent updates are looking pretty legit. They aren't taking R1T preorders yet so I am not ready to take anything for granted - GFC was also saying they'd have a Rivian fit last year until they actually dug in and noped out.
Sponsored

Phatman113

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
Yeah I've been keeping an eye on them since they announced, and they're relatively local to me. I was skeptical at first but the recent updates are looking pretty legit. They aren't taking R1T preorders yet so I am not ready to take anything for granted - GFC was also saying they'd have a Rivian fit last year until they actually dug in and noped out.
They responded to a question about it in their FB page:

Rivian R1T R1S JJ’s Overland R1T Build V2 w/ Pop Top Camper Shell (Oru Designs) 1681496055206

I know that there's been one member of the PNW Rivian FB group that's been working with them pretty closely on measurements and such, but they're not officially saying anything. Still, love to see options out there, these guys seem to be pricing pretty well at base, with several add-in options available.

shift4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
They responded to a question about it in their FB page:

1681496055206.png

I know that there's been one member of the PNW Rivian FB group that's been working with them pretty closely on measurements and such, but they're not officially saying anything. Still, love to see options out there, these guys seem to be pricing pretty well at base, with several add-in options available.
If LPO does bring their product to market for the R1T and the frunk water tank, camp kitchen, and 12V frunk cooler/freezer from @BoxGods ships as well then next summer is going to be epic 😍

Phatman113

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
If LPO does bring their product to market for the R1T and the frunk water tank, camp kitchen, and 12V frunk cooler/freezer from @BoxGods ships as well then next summer is going to be epic 😍
I'm definitely awaiting the arrival of my frunk water, and hoping he does the gear shuttle next! I'm not sold on the usefulness of the camp kitchen, but that's mostly because I don't do much of the 'overlanding' camping. I usually am forced to be a little bit away from the truck, so cooking at the truck would be inconvenient. However, I kinda hope they come out a little slowly, otherwise I'm just going to go broke trying to buy it all as they show up. :D

shift4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I'm definitely awaiting the arrival of my frunk water, and hoping he does the gear shuttle next! I'm not sold on the usefulness of the camp kitchen, but that's mostly because I don't do much of the 'overlanding' camping. I usually am forced to be a little bit away from the truck, so cooking at the truck would be inconvenient. However, I kinda hope they come out a little slowly, otherwise I'm just going to go broke trying to buy it all as they show up. :D
He said the gear tunnel shuttle is slated next for production once the frunk water tank ships. I will definitely be getting that as well 😆. I just hope Rivian does not notice his skills too quickly and snatches him up before all his products are finished so they can charge 3x the price. Based on the frunk water tank prototype, it is clear he has the talent and would be a valuable asset to them.

Sponsored

Phatman113

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
He said the gear tunnel shuttle is slated next for production once the frunk water tank ships. I will definitely be getting that as well 😆. I just hope Rivian does not notice his skills too quickly and snatches him up before all his products are finished so they can charge 3x the price. Based on the frunk water tank prototype, it is clear he has the talent and would be a valuable asset to them.
He posted some of his skills in the "tell us about yourself" and i'm definitely impressed. :) definitely excited to see the rest of his products...

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Today’s update. Multiple projects on going:
  • Lighting wired up. 4 LED lights on the ceiling and 1 larger LED in the ‘kitchen’. I have the ceiling split up in two zones, the front zone on a dimmer.
  • Fan is wired up
  • Wired in two USB outlets near the head of the bead, 1 USB A and 1 USB C on each side
  • Added a handle to the tailgate for both opening the tailgate from the outside and closing it from the inside
  • Power source Is a Goal Zero Yeti 1500X, more than enough 12V in the bed and also a bonus of a 2000W inverter. I can charge it at ~600W from the truck if needed
  • Added an additional Milwaukee Packout 2 drawer and a crate for storage
Coming soon projects:
  • 300W of solar to recharge the ’house‘ battery
  • Front side ‘kitchen’ using the space forward of the spare tire hatch, plan on installing my Icego cooler on a slider underneath the battery and a microwave/air fryer above the battery. The other side will have a sink, 5 gallon tank and hopefully I have room for a 1.5 gallon water heater.. TBD. All will be built with aluminum extrusion and clamp to the truck on either side so it is removable
  • A working taillight…
  • A Legun Table

Rivian R1T R1S JJ’s Overland R1T Build V2 w/ Pop Top Camper Shell (Oru Designs) 72B99BDE-EDB4-432C-81DF-2125813B8F97

Rivian R1T R1S JJ’s Overland R1T Build V2 w/ Pop Top Camper Shell (Oru Designs) 0EDB0713-0195-4226-9686-3717FD353040

Rivian R1T R1S JJ’s Overland R1T Build V2 w/ Pop Top Camper Shell (Oru Designs) 7C88B195-CA18-4915-8983-373A9A706042

Rivian R1T R1S JJ’s Overland R1T Build V2 w/ Pop Top Camper Shell (Oru Designs) F0669ACE-5EFA-4D08-ACD0-2F255C17CDCA

Rivian R1T R1S JJ’s Overland R1T Build V2 w/ Pop Top Camper Shell (Oru Designs) 716659A5-804D-4B33-95DF-622533310492

Rivian R1T R1S JJ’s Overland R1T Build V2 w/ Pop Top Camper Shell (Oru Designs) CBD84EAE-FECC-40F3-BE6C-2DE25BECB83E

Rivian R1T R1S JJ’s Overland R1T Build V2 w/ Pop Top Camper Shell (Oru Designs) B6248C67-22D8-4914-A832-1D48D6B642EA

Phatman113

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
Just wanted to add an update in case anyone was considering purchasing one of these. I am having a couple of issues.

Issue 1: I have concerns about the back door, the way the latches work it is quit easy to open them even when it's shut and locked, not going to say more because I don't want to advertise online how to break in my camper. Maybe their cheaper door design would be better. I may be able to solve this by self installing another latch.
Issue 2: Even more concerning it doesn't appear to be water tight, I first noticed while camping when raining and quickly noticed that water was dripping around the seam on the roof. I talked with Oru and we found some cracking along the roof so I spent a day with some Flex Seal and put a new bead along that crack, I had hoped problem solved. Nope was out driving today in the rain and when I got home I opened it up and noticed my mattress was soaked, I think water coming in from multiple places. I'm not sure.

Oru is assuring me they will make everything right, so TBD on the above issues.
Any update on your issues?

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Any update on your issues?
Still working with them. They have assured me they will make everything right, the owner is traveling to a expo this week so that has delayed things a bit.

I've solved some of the water issues on my own, there wasn't a thick enough bead of Sika Flex along the roof and it had some cracking. I still have at least one leak I haven't been able to resolve around one of the front mesh windows.

Regarding the back door, I sent them a video of me 'breaking in' and they literally said it was 'eye opening'. They proposed a stop gap solution that I didn't really like but I speculate a complete redesign is coming. I also would still recommend the flip up door vs the barn doors for the R1T, I just think it would work better.

They gave me some excuses for what happened with my camper, I won't repeat them but I think they got the message and outlined plans for improved QC going forward. TBD if I would recommend this product or not, its very cool and I am really happy with it so if the issues are resolved then I will.

dmc94

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T - GW/FE/20"
Clubs

Still working with them. They have assured me they will make everything right, the owner is traveling to a expo this week so that has delayed things a bit.

I've solved some of the water issues on my own, there wasn't a thick enough bead of Sika Flex along the roof and it had some cracking. I still have at least one leak I haven't been able to resolve around one of the front mesh windows.

Regarding the back door, I sent them a video of me 'breaking in' and they literally said it was 'eye opening'. They proposed a stop gap solution that I didn't really like but I speculate a complete redesign is coming. I also would still recommend the flip up door vs the barn doors for the R1T, I just think it would work better.

They gave me some excuses for what happened with my camper, I won't repeat them but I think they got the message and outlined plans for improved QC going forward. TBD if I would recommend this product or not, its very cool and I am really happy with it so if the issues are resolved then I will.
What has your efficiency been?

Sponsored

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Today’s update.

- Solar panels installed and confirmed working
- New Nitto Recon Grappler tires that I posted elsewhere but mentioning here in my build thread for completeness
- Brake light is ’working’, also reported elsewhere
- Wiring is done (except for final connection to water pump and tank heater)

Currently working on finishing insulation and finishing the walls. Awning came yesterday, I ordered this one due to it’s weight and ability to be used without poles in good weather, also price was quite reasonable IMO. Still figuring out how to mount that.

Rivian R1T R1S JJ’s Overland R1T Build V2 w/ Pop Top Camper Shell (Oru Designs) 18DE13B9-5AA5-4570-9D58-4E7908E996B7

Rivian R1T R1S JJ’s Overland R1T Build V2 w/ Pop Top Camper Shell (Oru Designs) 143D2F65-A826-4F79-8791-3F76634B8459

Rivian R1T R1S JJ’s Overland R1T Build V2 w/ Pop Top Camper Shell (Oru Designs) 9E48D66D-C598-4695-A952-863357AEB4A3

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Today’s update.

- Solar panels installed and confirmed working
- New Nitto Recon Grappler tires that I posted elsewhere but mentioning here in my build thread for completeness
- Brake light is ’working’, also reported elsewhere
- Wiring is done (except for final connection to water pump and tank heater)

Currently working on finishing insulation and finishing the walls. Awning came yesterday, I ordered this one due to it’s weight and ability to be used without poles in good weather, also price was quite reasonable IMO. Still figuring out how to mount that.

18DE13B9-5AA5-4570-9D58-4E7908E996B7.jpeg

143D2F65-A826-4F79-8791-3F76634B8459.jpeg

9E48D66D-C598-4695-A952-863357AEB4A3.jpeg
I'm still wondering if auxiliary charging of the 12V batteries will eliminate a significant portion of the HV battery drain. Maybe I need to experiment with that this weekend while working on other stuff. My plan is to just keep a float charge on them of 13.5V.

HighVoltOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GW/OC R1T | Tesla MY | Jeep Wrangler TJ
Occupation
Retired-ish
Clubs

How's road noise?

My dream setup is a GFC or Lone Peak, but I don't love the tradeoffs... might just stick with the condor. Or buy an airstream 😂
please don't, you inspired me to get the condor, can't afford an airstream yet

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Polestar 2, Miata ND2 RF
@jjswan33 What t slot connections did you use with the extrusions?

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I'm still wondering if auxiliary charging of the 12V batteries will eliminate a significant portion of the HV battery drain. Maybe I need to experiment with that this weekend while working on other stuff. My plan is to just keep a float charge on them of 13.5V.
In case it isn't clear I am charging my 'house' battery with the solar. It's a Goal Zero Yeti 1500X. My hope is that for summer camping that it provides enough power to run my fridge, lights, fan, etc so I don't have to tap into the trucks energy.

@jjswan33 What t slot connections did you use with the extrusions?
Not sure what you mean? I don't currently have anything attached to any of the extrusion.
Sponsored