Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
... disappointing (like 270) does that mean LE reservation holders will:

a) jump ship and order a F-150 Lightning
b) cancel their LE and wait for the Max Pack
c) shrug and be annoyed but keep their LE spot
d) hope Rivian offers to swap their reservation for a newly announced Max Pack LE !!
Sponsored

txtravwill

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, F150
Occupation
IT Software Director
Well, we have a LE R1S reserved which should be just a tiny bit better than an R1T. But, if the R1T comes out and is 270 or so, even 300, we will have the luxury of getting some real world reviews on efficiency and TRUE range before taking delivery.

Thus, if range is 270, and ends up being a true 270 or even could be greater in normal driving then we would continue. Since that would compare to a Tesla like the Y that says 316 miles rated range but ends up with closer to 240 miles, i.e. way over estimated for regular driving styles.

If it ends up being 310, and holds close to 300 that would be awesome. If it is 310 and real world shows its closer to 250, then would maybe make some considerations for changing as well.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Get outta here. I clicked on this thinking it was an update and you had the official range. I read "The official EPA range is...." in a glance and yeah...

ATL_Canes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90; R1T LE (Delivered April 2022)

d) hope Rivian offers to swap their reservation for a newly announced Max Pack LE !!
All depends on individual use cases - for me, the range being 275 or 300 or 325 isn't the driving factor. I'm coming from an EV that had a stated range of 290, more realistically 250, and I never once had an issue with range in 4 years of ownership (including several road trips). But everyone's facts and circumstances are going to be different.

[slides soapbox out] I know this is just a conversation starter, but I'm still not putting any stock into someone finding a reference to 279 in the HTML coding (or where ever it was). This is a morsel that somehow has taken on a life of it's own. This board has become a microcosm of the internet culture as a whole - someone says something or finds something that has zero sources or verifiability, then it quickly becomes fact to others, and off we go into the ditch (they lied to us about having 300+ mile range!). I know this is an old man rant (and I'm only 42), so I'll go back to yelling at kids to stay off my lawn. [puts soapbox away]

Dirtman16

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
I'm coming from an EV that had a stated range of 290, more realistically 250, and I never once had an issue with range in 4 years of ownership (including several road trips). But everyone's facts and circumstances are going to be different.
I 100 percent agree with this. I'm no road tripping warrior, but I regularly travel 300+ miles in a day or overnight. I can't get much past 200 miles in one sitting, much less 300. More critically is the charging speed. If you can get a real 5-80% charge of 180-190 miles AND a 200+ kW charging rate for an extended period, it's more than enough. I think most people will find the forced driving break good for their health.

Sponsored

irish26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Well, we have a LE R1S reserved which should be just a tiny bit better than an R1T. But, if the R1T comes out and is 270 or so, even 300, we will have the luxury of getting some real world reviews on efficiency and TRUE range before taking delivery.

Thus, if range is 270, and ends up being a true 270 or even could be greater in normal driving then we would continue. Since that would compare to a Tesla like the Y that says 316 miles rated range but ends up with closer to 240 miles, i.e. way over estimated for regular driving styles.

If it ends up being 310, and holds close to 300 that would be awesome. If it is 310 and real world shows its closer to 250, then would maybe make some considerations for changing as well.
This. I am not smart enough to know how Tesla seems to cheat the EPA ratings but as a Model S owner, it is very annoying how inaccurate the onboard range estimate is. It seems like the Mach E, Porchse and other brands are much truer to their numbers. Hopefully Rivian is the same way.

Sully151

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts
First, I seriously doubt they will release a LE with less than 300 miles. They would be torched online and by competitors.

If it were to happen though, I would probably wait for the Max Pack. I am already on the fence as is.

OP
OP
RivianXpress

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Two friends have LE reservations and not on this board. Both have F150 reservations and are so close to dropping their Rivian spots, getting their deposit back and buying the Ford. They been looking more and more at the Ford trucks this week and are envisioning owning one.

Whatever you’re doing Rivian, it’s not working and you’re ready to lose customers.

Friscorays

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G35, V8 Vantage, 4C, F type
Bummer about March 1, 2022.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RivianXpress

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
In regards to option a, would it really make sense for people made so unhappy with R1T EPA range of 270 miles that the original poster hypothesizes to switch to the Lightning which Ford site states "comes with a standard range battery that offers a targeted EPA estimated range of 230 miles."
True, we do know that the EPA MME range has been pretty much accurate - not like the EPA Tesla range.

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Man, I agree with all of the comments here.

However, I do believe they'll hit EPA of 300+ and that Rivian EPA will be less inflated than Tesla.

I think a Max Pack LE would make a lot of people happy, but I don't see the need for it. Personally, I'm good with 240 real world highway miles & would only need that on road trips...and less would probably be fine with fast & reliable charging.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T

I'd say "a" if its only 275...that would be really disappointing.

e. Cancel and
Two friends have LE reservations and not on this board. Both have F150 reservations and are so close to dropping their Rivian spots, getting their deposit back and buying the Ford. They been looking more and more at the Ford trucks this week and are envisioning owning one.

Whatever you’re doing Rivian, it’s not working and you’re ready to lose customers.
Let em go! I don’t mind moving up two spots. ?

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
Two friends have LE reservations and not on this board. Both have F150 reservations and are so close to dropping their Rivian spots, getting their deposit back and **buying the Ford.**
Your friends have absolutely remarkable superpowers, then, considering *absolutely nobody can buy the Ford yet*, and none will be able to until after Rivians are in customers hands.

The same way that the Ford dealership salesman that called them to thank them and tell them about other exciting Ford products *were salesman and not actually "guides"*

The same way that *Ford's 300mi estimated range will end up being exactly like Rivian's estimated 300mi estimate range* in practice, and not somehow magically better.

There's some things to like about the Ford. I'm jealous of the frunk, jealous of the CarPlay, and jealous of V2H.

But people are pretending all the wrong details are the better ones, when there's actual meaningful differences to ponder.

Rivianmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d, Toyota 4Runner
I am admittedly have anxiety about what the range will end up being; both marketed EPA range and real world range. Plus, I don’t like the thought of buying something that will lose range through degradation - understanding all BEVs will and ICEs do as well to a lesser extent obviously. With all that said I can’t imagine they would come in less than 300mi of EPA range. Just anxiously awaiting more info like everyone else. I just hope they take a more conservative approach like Audi and Ford have vs Tesla. Especially if they have a buffer that they can leverage for future OTA updates to compensate for inevitable degradation.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I'm assuming they're hitting 300 epa. I can't imagine they would get caught off guard by epa ratings.

That being said, I don't care about the EPA ratings because if the previously noted Tesla vs Porsche example. I'm a lot more Curious how a 70 mph range test lands.
Sponsored