How noisy is your front end?

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Today I had to park in a tight space. So I put it in off road max height...to minimize chances for a dent.

When I returned, I put back to all purpose normal height.

Maybe I am losing my mind, but it seemed alot worse than usual. Sounded like someone with one of those wood block percussion instruments on many bumps. I moved suspension back to high and then to sport low. Then back to all purpose regular. Noise went back to my "normal". Which is to say it does it, but only on pretty large bumps and pretty rough roads. For bit it seemed it was doing it on every little tar line almost.

Oh well....maybe this vehicle will make me lose my mind or maybe I am transitioning to that and a movie can be made about it someday. Like Sutter Island or something....
Good, I’ll have company! 😂
Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Good, I’ll have company! 😂
Maybe we can get M. Night to make it or Tarentino. Whole bunch of Rivian owners starting as normal people and by end, all walking around their towns randomly headbutting neighbors cars or something like that.....

popoga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG R1T, '18 Impreza, '10 Triumph Bonneville
Occupation
Potato Farmer
Clubs

I don't get clunks but my suspension definitely creaks a bit as it travels recently. Only like 1300 miles on the truck, so it's not a wear and tear thing.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Over speed bumps? Clunky

What can you expect from a trophy truck inspired adjustable air suspension.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I don't get clunks but my suspension definitely creaks a bit as it travels recently. Only like 1300 miles on the truck, so it's not a wear and tear thing.
Unfortunately, I think creaks are normal. Rivian is already going to upgrade to a new tenneco suspension on future trucks apparently. I think they are aware of our concerns otherwise why would they be doing this?

Sponsored

AlpMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, 4Runner
Occupation
Doing stuff
Over speed bumps? Clunky

What can you expect from a trophy truck inspired adjustable air suspension.
For it to not clunk! I'm really not sure where the "Trophy Truck inspired" thing comes from, I know someone posted about a service advisor saying this but Rivian never published anything of the like.

Trophy trucks don't have air suspension, they have coil-overs with external reservoirs. They have long A arms, 24+ inches of travel in the front and three or four-link setups with a solid axle in the rear that has 36+ inches of travel. Plus, they are quiet, plush and definitely no clunks.

KenJ

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S85D
Occupation
Engineer
Just thought to check the forum for this today. I had my R1S in for service and brought this up. Sounds like driver front suspension on mine … just like a bad/loose strut mount. Tech drove it with me and claimed it was normal but would check everything when he did the other work. Still there … 🤦🏽‍♂️

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Just thought to check the forum for this today. I had my R1S in for service and brought this up. Sounds like driver front suspension on mine … just like a bad/loose strut mount. Tech drove it with me and claimed it was normal but would check everything when he did the other work. Still there … 🤦🏽‍♂️
Just as a data point....mine still does exact same thing. Sounds like a loose or bad strut mount. Service checked and said normal. I have asked 2 mobile techs for the two recalls since the service visit and both say front end noises are typical and normal. They blame the EV being silent or near silent, to not covering up suspension noises. I call BS on that as many of my other vehicles have near silent ICE engines and suspensions are silent over Midwestern roads.

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
I find that mine is much quieter in sport mode actually. It must just be some tolerances built in for the suspension adjustment / etc.

Clovis

First Name
M@
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I too have the random suspension noise that I can’t pinpoint replicate. The service center also thought it was loud and they serviced the suspension- adding grease to various components, replaced half shafts and it’s still there. I think it has something to do with air suspension. This suspension type is a whole new world for me. But all my race cars had loud bumpy setups so as long as it works, I’m going to live with it and over power it with the rad sound system. This is also my first truck and I mentally told myself it will be a truck and make noise. Just based on the physical characteristics of trucks they are noisy — in my mind.

Clovis has been a joy and the front clunk is part of its personality.

Sponsored

Deleted member 7086

Take a look at Manufacturer Communication Bulletin Number RCA-18-22-001-1. Perhaps you are missing the front damper reinforcement plate?

SendItCars

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
My R1t sounds worse than my 120,000 2011 F-150 for front end noise. Took it into the service center, they said it was normal and move along. Pathetic.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
What is this about?
Early builds had a missing spacer between top of shock and frame causing a noise or thunk. This remedied the issue for those vehicles.

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian RT 1
Occupation
Event producer
This is my only complaint as well. I called and they said it probably needed to be repacked but I took it in and they said it was the kinetic suspension and normal. Hoping they will fix this issue. It’s such an amazing truck but this has to be something they know is a problem.
Sponsored