Architect

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
There's a handful of these that could be causing the noise.
Does anyone know if, when in for service the first time, they check for all these conditions/communications?
Unless it’s a safety issue…I think they wait for the customer to bring it to their attention.

31ectr0nicB0b

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Dropped off at Chelsea SC today due to driver's side suspension noise, intermittent but still present. So the half-shaft issue isn't completely presenting itself, so let's see what they find and how the SC mitigates.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Did anyone have this addressed? Did it help with the noise?
I forget what vins are affected, but it was super early builds, so I don't think it is the cause of the thumping/thunking noise.

Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I forget what vins are affected, but it was super early builds, so I don't think it is the cause of the thumping/thunking noise.
Well, we’ve heard of trucks missing badging on doors, underbody panel bolts…etc…whose to say that someone got distracted and forgot the shock tower spacer. 🤷‍♂️. My issue I think is a bad shock tower. Seems fine on the Highway but so clunky at slow speeds. Very strange. I think my suspension actually started to sound worse after the last update.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Well, we’ve heard of trucks missing badging on doors, underbody panel bolts…etc…whose to say that someone got distracted and forgot the shock tower spacer. 🤷‍♂️
I completely agree with that! I wonder if Rivian service will consider that, or simply reply that if not in the vin range, it isn't the issue. My history with other manufacturers has been if my vehicle isn't in the vin range, they won't even look at it, even if doing g exactly the same thing.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Whenever humans are involved with assembling a product mistakes occasionally happen. Assembly line workers are given a target time to complete a task and minds wander. Sadly there is no such thing as a 100% perfect vehicle.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Whenever humans are involved with assembling a product mistakes occasionally happen. Sadly there is no such thing as a 100% perfect vehicle.
Always at least one intern on the assembly line. 🤣

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Whenever humans are involved with assembling a product mistakes occasionally happen. Sadly there is no such thing as a 100% perfect vehicle.
I once had a Ford with the completely wrong brake assembly on one side. It was an SVT Contour and the passenger side brake rotor, caliper, etc.... were all the standard size stuff, and drivers side had all the larger stuff that it was supposed to come with. That was both funny and sad...

Sponsored

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
I purchased a new 1500 Silverado in 2008. It was making a hell of a noise from the front end when I went around corners. It turns out the upper shock mount bolt was never installed at the factory.

AlpMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, 4Runner
Occupation
Doing stuff
I wish it was something so simple as a mistake made during assembly, but the fact that it seems to be happening with most trucks, not to mention that you can even hear the sounds in the Long Way Up videos from some of the earliest builds indicates this is not a human error problem, but rather something with the design. Oddly enough I still haven't seen anyone with an R1S report the issue.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I wish it was something so simple as a mistake made during assembly, but the fact that it seems to be happening with most trucks, not to mention that you can even hear the sounds in the Long Way Up videos from some of the earliest builds indicates this is not a human error problem, but rather something with the design. Oddly enough I still haven't seen anyone with an R1S report the issue.
Probably still in honeymoon phase…I didn’t notice anything really until I started daily driving it, which has just been within last 6 weeks or so.

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Probably still in honeymoon phase…I didn’t notice anything really until I started daily driving it, which has just been within last 6 weeks or so.
Did your loaner have the noise too?

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Did your loaner have the noise too?
See that’s the thing…I don’t think I was paying any attention back then…and it was brand new when they brought it to me. My original truck had the tick/tock as they all do and so did loaner…but don’t remember anything with suspension. I hope to get a loaner next month when I take my truck up to Austin and will definitely be scrutinizing it.
Sponsored