How noisy is your front end?

computertom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Bronco Raptor, '80 911 SC
Yes, this is kind of a personal question ... but I've now had a few calls setting up my service center visit and every time I describe the noise I'm left wonder if it's me... The front end of my R1T is noisy. If any of you have either had crap cars, or worked on your own race / modded cars, it feels and sounds like bad top mounts for the front suspension / coilovers - solid metal on metal. Now the roads here in Boston are horrid, but our other truck (Bronco Raptor) skates over all of these with nary a peep. yeah, 37's compared to these 34.5"s and a big difference in pressure, but still, this thing is NOISY. And it's more the driver's side than the passenger, but the passenger is catching up.

I really expected it to be much, much tighter. I've only been in one other R1T and that was like a year ago, and don't recall anything like this from the passenger side, but we were on way nicer roads. This is not gear lash, I've felt that and can feel that a little here but not enough to be worried and this is not it.
Sponsored

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Same and I agree it sounds like it's more on the driver side. Even over minor potholes and bumps. Just sounds fragile. My old Yukon sounded much better.
SC appt on Monday and this is on the list.

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mercedes EQS SUV
Agreed. I hear clunking noises from the driver side that shouldn't exist on a new vehicle. I only have 3k miles and it took about 2k before the noises started. To be fair they are relatively quiet. If I'm playing music or have the windows down I can't hear it. My wife thinks I'm crazy and says it's nothing.

At this point I'll live with the noises unless they get dramatically worse or I start having issues. I know I'm an early adopter so I expect some issues. Outside of this my truck has been phenomenal and I wouldn't trade it for anything else. I just hope it doesn't become a serious problem. No use in rushing to the service center unless it gets really bad.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
It is definitely noisy all around not just front, but is mainly front for sure. Maybe bushings need more grease? A lot of comments I’ve read have SC saying it’s normal. 🤷‍♂️

Swilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
A Little Bit of Everything
Clubs

My back end is way noisier. Near constant exhaust notes. Especially after dairy.

EDIT: Ohhhhh, you guys are talking about your Rivians! Very embarrassing. When I get mine in 2025, I will let you know about the wind noise.

Sponsored

mindstormsguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Some
it feels and sounds like bad top mounts for the front suspension
This is EXACTLY how I describe it (and how I described it to the SC when I first asked them to fix it). It brought back memories of my first car, a 10 year old Trans Am that needed upper shock mounts, and would remind you every time you went over a speed bump.

The difference is that it cost me $10 a side to buy new mounts for the TA, but with the Rivian, I'm told it's "normal".

I have no idea how I'll be able to tell when the Rivian's suspension is worn out. It won't be by sound or feel.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Mine sounds just like bad upper strut mounts like others have said. Or a sloppy bushing in upper control arms. It's a thumping/knocking. Sounds like a vehicle with 200k on it.

JGard18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adv, 2023 Volvo XC40 Recharge
Occupation
Consultant
Yep, mine is the same. The weird thing is it’s not consistent. I’ll have days where it’s pretty quiet and others where it sounds like there are loose bolts up front

Ngkgb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Same. But mine comes from rest. Feels like something is loose. On the list of service items for tomorrow.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Yes. Exactly as you describe. It’s my biggest complaint with the vehicle. SC says it’s normal. I disagree.

Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Yes. Exactly as you describe. It’s my biggest complaint with the vehicle. SC says it’s normal. I disagree.
I have an appointment in Austin SC in Feb for ticking/clunking from half shafts. I’ve noticed a little bit of grease build up on lower control arm bushing, both sides. Might add this to the short list. Wonder if that might be part of the issue.

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
Depends entirely on who I am with at the time.

Deleted member 7086

Have the same problem. When I recently picked up my R1T after a second lubing, bolt replacement and tightening for the half shaft, spline, gear lash the additional suspension noise was thought to be a dampener problem which Rivian was supposed to be working on.

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Have the same problem. When I recently picked up my R1T after a second lubing, bolt replacement and tightening for the half shaft, spline, gear lash the additional suspension noise was thought to be a dampener problem which Rivian was supposed to be working on.
Regarding the dampener- Is this what the SC told you? Just curious since I have service on Monday and want some ammunition if they say it's normal

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Yep, mine is the same. The weird thing is it’s not consistent. I’ll have days where it’s pretty quiet and others where it sounds like there are loose bolts up front
Ok....now you are first person to possibly confirm I am not batshit crazy....I thought it comes and goes somewhat too. At times it seems very minor and at others pretty damn annoying. So I start to question my sanity. But....now at least someone else notices it seems to change.

So that brings me to what changes. Internal changes in damper/spring are one possibility. Another would be movement in an assembly...like maybe upper suspension arms move a bit forward or backward and at one end of that movement or other, they clunk more?

Truck is going to cause me to seek psychiatric help....or voodoo doctor or something....
Sponsored