Sponsored

How long is "longer range" R1S - any intel?

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Road & Track's comment re: range:

"Rivian is making bold claims about the range of its trucks. The automaker says the 105-kWh R1T will do over 230 miles on a charge, the 135-kWh will do over 300, and the 180-kWh will do over 400 miles. The R1S betters each of those figures by 10 miles. We'll have to wait for EPA-certified numbers to know for sure, but these are impressive numbers"

My point is that Rivian came out with these numbers and got pub throwing it out there & it still remains in the Auto Industry's largest magazines.....the counter, which is that the range has been pulled back, has received no pub.

So.....my earlier point remains (I have a deposit down for a R1S and given my extensive experience with EV's, I want the higher range....300 at highway speeds often becomes 240 or less so a 400 would provide 320 or more.....and that's without the other factors of elevation, wind, temp, weight, etc.)
I just want to clarify, you are blaming a manufacturer for lack of proper editing and fact checking prior to a news publication publishing an article?
Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
In any event, I just cancelled my order.

FWIW: remember, you folks should be acting as evangelists and be welcoming of folks since they just won’t have your info at hand.
You cancelled your pre-order over a seriously out-of-date article and poor "community service"? Wow, Ok. Happy trails!

Sdvictor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
You cancelled your pre-order over a seriously out-of-date article and poor "community service"? Wow, Ok. Happy trails!
No kIdding. I think most here realize that more firm data will be released closer to launch. Until then, everything is subject to change.

S Fan's demand to be pandered to is peak boomer (mentality, not the physical age).

Kachook

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Mustang Mach-E, Odyssey and former iX
I know the following is theoretical because we don't know how many miles the XL pack will provide and how much the XL+ will provide. But, for those previous EV owners (and I know everyone is different), would you pay $5k more for 50 more miles, in general. Second, would you be willing to delay receipt of your vehicle maybe 6 months or 9 months for the extra 50 miles. I'm sure the analysis changes if it is $7,500 more for 75 miles. But, still .. thoughts?

ATL_Canes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90; R1T LE (Delivered April 2022)
I know the following is theoretical because we don't know how many miles the XL pack will provide and how much the XL+ will provide. But, for those previous EV owners (and I know everyone is different), would you pay $5k more for 50 more miles, in general. Second, would you be willing to delay receipt of your vehicle maybe 6 months or 9 months for the extra 50 miles. I'm sure the analysis changes if it is $7,500 more for 75 miles. But, still .. thoughts?
Personally, no. My Tesla 90D was rated for 280+miles of range, but practically it was closer to 250 in real life scenarios. My R/T work commute was about 60 miles so never an issue. I didn't take road trips often, but when I did they were generally from Atlanta to Tuscaloosa, Nashville, Charlotte, and Tallahassee. The extra 50 miles of range may have made some of those trips slightly easier, but not enough where I ever cared. For example, I probably could have gotten to Tuscaloosa without stopping for a quick charge in Oxford, AL, but I didn't mind the 10 minute stop since I could pop into Starbucks and get a coffee.

I think I'm in the minority because - most people are all about more range. But my particular use case of ~250 miles per charge was never an issue or a nuisance for me.

Sponsored

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
No. I’ve had 260 mile rated range (actual is typically closer to 220) for 6 years. Early on before Superchargers were built out, I had to do some creative route planning, but for the past several years I can go coast to coast with no worries. It’ll take Rivian and EA a couple more years to get everything covered, but it’s coming “soon”. I could travel from UT to pretty much anywhere on the east coast in a 300 mile Rivian today and stay on fairly direct routes. Can’t go thru WY or MT yet, but hopefully that will fill out soon. Dakotas and AR still have big gaps as well.

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
Just bought a Model Y in mid-Feb and took delivery in Mid-March. Since then we have put roughly 3k miles on it. I paid more to get the Long range which is 326 versus the standard which was, at that time 240ish. I paid more than 5k more for the range of roughly 75ish. I wouldn’t flinch at doing it again. If you are doing elevation (mountains to go snowboarding) or things off the main roads (think hiking/climbing), that range is absolutely worth it. With Tesla’s network, I could manage it. Until Rivian’s catches up, for my use case, we may actually use the Tesla for some of our local long drives. Across ND/SD/WY/MT I am actually still planning summer of 2022 to use the Model Y unless EA and RAN actually step up by then.
TLDR: I would pay more and wait longer for my use cases.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
... Until Rivian’s catches up...
This is precisely what annoys me about Rivian's decision to defer the longest range batteries until after launch (2022 for R1T, who knows about R1S at this point). We will need the longest range batteries at launch more than at any other time in the future. I get the economics of their decision, it's just really frustrating.

DynoSaur

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco Wildtrak
Occupation
Network Engineer
If they have backed off the 400+ mile designation (if so, bait and switch IMO), someone should let Car & Driver know: https://www.caranddriver.com/rivian/r1s

A 300 mile R1S would be very disappointing for me (looking at the web site sure seems to indicate that they are now targeting 300/250 which IMO will not be competitive enough vs. Tesla).
In general, my opinion of people that kick off discussions with a sense of entitlement - and yes; absolutely what immediately calling out Bait and Switch sounds like, are deserving of the reception they get.

We’re all fan boys here. We’re all discussing and reading everything we can about something that’s not out yet, and anxiously awaiting it.

We don’t owe you, or anybody, for that matter, anything. Nor does anyone owe me the same.

I’ve had a fantastic reception here, even to questions that were answered in previous posts and online. The difference is the approach and the lack of a chip on my shoulder.

Do what you want, buy what you want. But don’t act like we’re all the tools.

I might not even buy one either when the info on range comes out. But Rivian doesn’t owe me a damn thing.

TLDR; in gaming terms: Bye. Can I have your stuff?

Lobstahz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Tesla Model 3, Audi A4
I would absolutely pay to have a larger battery. I pay for many other conveniences in life, this is no different, just a larger absolute cost than most other items.

My rational is that I routinely get ~60-70% of the rated range on my 2018 Model 3 LR. I run snows in the winter, and wider stickier tires in the summer. This knocks down the 310 rated range to 200. Factor in battery degradation (of which I'm currently doing quite well at 295 at 30k mi) but that's now down to 185mi. I never depend on range below 10% so there goes 30mi and I'm left with a true 150 "go anywhere" miles.

So for my hopeful wishing of a 400mi R1S Max pack, I'm hoping for a 200 "go anywhere" miles.

Pics for clicks - this is my summer setup 245/40-19's
Rivian R1T R1S How long is "longer range" R1S - any intel? 1620095016857

Sponsored

Laurent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
My guess is that the R1S with the large 135 kWh battery pack will have an official range of 325 miles or so. For the max pack, if they can only fit 11 battery modules (instead of 12 in the R1T), that should give you a range of approx. 395 miles.

I was originally interested in the max pack 5-seater R1S but unfortunately that’s not available (yet). But maybe the large pack 7-seater launch edition is the way to go after all. I don’t anticipate to need the 3rd row but it could come in handy. Especially if it doesn’t take up too much storage space. As for range, it would be great to have close to 400 miles but do I really want to carry the extra weight all year just so I can save time charging while on a couple of road trips? I’m not so sure. The other advantage of the launch edition is early delivery. I’m hoping for September (I reserved on 12/4/18). I’d have to wait at least another 6 months for a max pack R1S.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
My guess is that the R1S with the large 135 kWh battery pack will have an official range of 325 miles or so. For the max pack, if they can only fit 11 battery modules (instead of 12 in the R1T), that should give you a range of approx. 395 miles.

I was originally interested in the max pack 5-seater R1S but unfortunately that’s not available (yet). But maybe the large pack 7-seater launch edition is the way to go after all. I don’t anticipate to need the 3rd row but it could come in handy. Especially if it doesn’t take up too much storage space. As for range, it would be great to have close to 400 miles but do I really want to carry the extra weight all year just so I can save time charging while on a couple of road trips? I’m not so sure. The other advantage of the launch edition is early delivery. I’m hoping for September (I reserved on 12/4/18). I’d have to wait at least another 6 months for a max pack R1S.
That is an interesting guess. Is that pure speculation or did you see something that leads you there?

325 would be around 415 watts per mile, that seems pretty low. I seem to recall the R1S was estimated at 310 miles which would be 435 watts per mile.

A lot of people are speculating even higher like 440-450 watts per mile.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer

Assuming the battery is still configured as 12 modules, then dropping to just 11 might be a stretch. Just for reference here are some numbers for the Hummer SUT versus SUV:

SUT wheel base is 136 inch and it has 24 battery modules, double stacked, so that is basically 12 modules between the wheels.

SUV wheel base is 127 inch and it has 20 battery modules double stacked, so that is basically 10 modules between the wheels.

R1T wheel base is 135 inch, with 12 modules, nearly identical to the Hummer SUT, but obviously each module has more capacity and they are not double stacked.

R1S wheel base is 121 inch, which is less than the Hummer SUV. So unless they redesign to stack some of the modules, I think only 10 may fit in the R1S.

Just speculation of course, but probably explains the delay in announcing a larger pack.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
yup, given the info out there, I guess I just tied in 300+ as selectable at ordering to 400.

If one is fooled perhaps you have to assume that there will be more, particularly since there are no retail locations to connect with.

In any event, I just cancelled my order.

FWIW: remember, you folks should be acting as evangelists and be welcoming of folks since they just won’t have your info at hand.

5+ years ago I received a very early vin Tesla Model X. I spent a considerable amount of time answering questions (even the “dumb” ones) to provide potential buyers with the info they would need to gauge appropriateness for their needs.

This site and its members should do the same.

In any event, a $1,000 back in my pocket and one less sale for Rivian.
Personally I have never understood why Rivian is unable to install the 180 pack in the R1S with a folding third row. It seems to me the usable floor space is the same at the third row as at the second row. See the diagram below:

Rivian R1T R1S How long is "longer range" R1S - any intel? 1621030293517

Of course this diagram is not to scale, but it demonstrates to me there is room for a folding third row, as long as the seats are able to fold down as low as the second row folds. My opinion is ignorant, though, because there is obviously a reason why they removed the 180 pack from R1S marketing material. Maybe they will find a way to fit the pack in, but from what they have released so far, it seems they are not sure it can be done.

My assumption has been the R1S max pack will be more than 135, but less than 180. Time will tell if that assumption is correct or not. I hope Rivian finds a way to make the 180 work, because a lot of people will be disappointed if they can't. Including me. Although I am leaning toward the R1T 180 pack version, because it will have the ability to add the Aux battery module shown in the drawing above. I doubt the R1S will ever have the Aux pack option.

Reactions: Rad

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Personally I have never understood why Rivian is unable to install the 180 pack in the R1S with a folding third row. It seems to me the usable floor space is the same at the third row as at the second row. See the diagram below:

1621030293517.png

Of course this diagram is not to scale, but it demonstrates to me there is room for a folding third row, as long as the seats are able to fold down as low as the second row folds. My opinion is ignorant, though, because there is obviously a reason why they removed the 180 pack from R1S marketing material. Maybe they will find a way to fit the pack in, but from what they have released so far, it seems they are not sure it can be done.

My assumption has been the R1S max pack will be more than 135, but less than 180. Time will tell if that assumption is correct or not. I hope Rivian finds a way to make the 180 work, because a lot of people will be disappointed if they can't. Including me. Although I am leaning toward the R1T 180 pack version, because it will have the ability to add the Aux battery module shown in the drawing above. I doubt the R1S will ever have the Aux pack option.
Probably because of the R1S having a 14.9 inch shorter wheelbase than the R1T.
Sponsored