Sponsored

How long is "longer range" R1S - any intel?

S Fan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
a Few
Occupation
Old
If they have backed off the 400+ mile designation (if so, bait and switch IMO), someone should let Car & Driver know: https://www.caranddriver.com/rivian/r1s

A 300 mile R1S would be very disappointing for me (looking at the web site sure seems to indicate that they are now targeting 300/250 which IMO will not be competitive enough vs. Tesla).
Sponsored

Reactions: Rad

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
If they have backed off the 400+ mile designation (if so, bait and switch IMO), someone should let Car & Driver know: https://www.caranddriver.com/rivian/r1s

A 300 mile R1S would be very disappointing for me (looking at the web site sure seems to indicate that they are now targeting 300/250 which IMO will not be competitive enough vs. Tesla).
They announced long ago that the "Max Pack" R1S would not be an option. All specs were "preliminary and subject to change" (and still are for that matter).
Bait and switch has a specific meaning unrelated to what you are implying.
And yes, car and driver has it wrong. There are actually a number of errors in the linked article.
HP, battery sizes, CarPlay Android Auto, etc.

They will have a 300+ mile R1S at launch with a longer range version later (but very likely not 400+).

St Bernard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R2 2026, Prius
They announced long ago that the "Max Pack" R1S would not be an option. All specs were "preliminary and subject to change" (and still are for that matter).
And yes, car and driver has it wrong. There are actually a number of errors in the linked article.

They will have a 300+ mile R1S at launch with a longer range version later (but very likely not 400+).
Why do people think that RIVIAN, two months out from deliver date, has not officially announced what the mileage equals? Forget about the 400 mile range( which may never happen) will the first delivery get 280-300 miles in normal driving? Also will they deliver 100 RIT’s in June so they can meet their commitment to early deposit holders?

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
Why do people think that RIVIAN, two months out from deliver date, has not officially announced what the mileage equals?
I think it is because they are still tweaking the software.

S Fan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
a Few
Occupation
Old

Road & Track's comment re: range:

"Rivian is making bold claims about the range of its trucks. The automaker says the 105-kWh R1T will do over 230 miles on a charge, the 135-kWh will do over 300, and the 180-kWh will do over 400 miles. The R1S betters each of those figures by 10 miles. We'll have to wait for EPA-certified numbers to know for sure, but these are impressive numbers"

My point is that Rivian came out with these numbers and got pub throwing it out there & it still remains in the Auto Industry's largest magazines.....the counter, which is that the range has been pulled back, has received no pub.

So.....my earlier point remains (I have a deposit down for a R1S and given my extensive experience with EV's, I want the higher range....300 at highway speeds often becomes 240 or less so a 400 would provide 320 or more.....and that's without the other factors of elevation, wind, temp, weight, etc.)

Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Why do people think that RIVIAN, two months out from deliver date, has not officially announced what the mileage equals? Forget about the 400 mile range( which may never happen) will the first delivery get 280-300 miles in normal driving? Also will they deliver 100 RIT’s in June so they can meet their commitment to early deposit holders?
Rivian is completing testing on the different variations of wheels/tires before announcing ranges. Some companies will sell vehicles before getting certification and/or providing that info. Alversions of the Model S and X currently show range as estimated, even though they give a very specific number (412, i.e.). I don't fault Rivian for waiting until testing and certification is complete before publishing actual numbers.

Will they deliver 100 R1Ts in June? Maybe. Maybe more. Maybe less.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
They have not backed off on their numbers. What they did was announce that the max pack (400 mile, ~185kWh) battery version will not be available at launch. You can order the R1T today with the max pack, but won’t get it until next year. You won’t even be able to order the max pack R1S until next year.

If you’d have done even a cursory amount of searching and reading posts on here, you’d have seen that this topic has been covered in excruciating detail already.

Rivian R1T R1S How long is "longer range" R1S - any intel? 1618856177811

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Road & Track's comment re: range:

"Rivian is making bold claims about the range of its trucks. The automaker says the 105-kWh R1T will do over 230 miles on a charge, the 135-kWh will do over 300, and the 180-kWh will do over 400 miles. The R1S betters each of those figures by 10 miles. We'll have to wait for EPA-certified numbers to know for sure, but these are impressive numbers"

My point is that Rivian came out with these numbers and got pub throwing it out there & it still remains in the Auto Industry's largest magazines.....the counter, which is that the range has been pulled back, has received no pub.

So.....my earlier point remains (I have a deposit down for a R1S and given my extensive experience with EV's, I want the higher range....300 at highway speeds often becomes 240 or less so a 400 would provide 320 or more.....and that's without the other factors of elevation, wind, temp, weight, etc.)
The blame for sloppy journalism can't be placed on Rivian.

You'll eventually have to decide whether a 380 mile (or whatever the "XL Pack" range turns out to be) R1S is good enough or you need to cancel. Right or wrong (and that opinion will vary by consumer), Rivian chose to prioritize the 5/7 seat configuration options and flat folding seats over the Max Pack. Production efficiency was likely also a factor (just one R1S platform that could be built with all seating and pack configurations).

S Fan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
a Few
Occupation
Old
They have not backed off on their numbers. What they did was announce that the max pack (400 mile, ~185kWh) battery version will not be available at launch. You can order the R1T today with the max pack, but won’t get it until next year. You won’t even be able to order the max pack R1S until next year.

If you’d have done even a cursory amount of searching and reading posts on here, you’d have seen that this topic has been covered in excruciating detail already.

1618856177811.jpeg
lol...thanks for your snide remark.... fan “boy” syndrome starting early and before deliveries I see.

It is offensive btw.

FWIW:
Most auto forums are overrun with op’s that make an easy search challenging (Tesla is same way) and you should be welcoming of new and often “uninformed” members versus being so damn smug.

S Fan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
a Few
Occupation
Old
The blame for sloppy journalism can't be placed on Rivian.

You'll eventually have to decide whether a 380 mile (or whatever the "XL Pack" range turns out to be) R1S is good enough or you need to cancel. Right or wrong (and that opinion will vary by consumer), Rivian chose to prioritize the 5/7 seat configuration options and flat folding seats over the Max Pack. Production efficiency was likely also a factor (just one R1S platform that could be built with all seating and pack configurations).
yup, I know what my options would be and at the appropriate time will make a decision.

Re: sloppy—yes to an extent but as a MFG you have a joint obligation to ensure information out there is accurate, particularly with publications that are widely read. Clearly, Rivian has let this misleading info fester since I assume it realize it benefits them.

Sponsored

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
lol...thanks for your snide remark.... fan “boy” syndrome starting early and before deliveries I see.

It is offensive btw.

FWIW:
Most auto forums are overrun with op’s that make an easy search challenging (Tesla is same way) and you should be welcoming of new and often “uninformed” members versus being so damn smug.
With all due respect, you come on here making accusations that are either untrue or unfounded without doing any level of research yourself before doing that. That’s annoying btw.

txtravwill

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, F150
Occupation
IT Software Director

Where do you get this. Very flawed article. They changed the order of release for R1T but haven't backed off 400+/300+. On the R1S, 300+ is still available at launch edition well.

Key here is we learn if 300+ means around 300 which would be great. In face, companies like GM/Porsche have underestimated their range at times by up to 50% with Porsche, where Audi for example is inefficient even more and gets less than advertise.

Tesla (having owned 2 of them now) get MUCH WORSE than their rated range estimates. So the new 360 mile refreshed Model X, that will hopefully be available say in Q3 more solidly now (yes late by like 2 quarters), definitely by experience will NOT get 360 miles. I'll be about 20% less or so closer to 300 at best, even say 280 or so freeway driving with everything else perfect. And that is at their painful 100% charge level to get to that requires planning ahead.

If Rivian can get a good solid 300 and they were conservative about it, then the much larger R1S than the Model X will be a sure win even with the large pack. The Max pack then would be icing on the cake for those that wait.

S Fan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
a Few
Occupation
Old
With all due respect, you come on here making accusations that are either untrue or unfounded without doing any level of research yourself before doing that. That’s annoying btw.
I’m going to respond one last time and then disengage from this OP & this site.

The response from you and others on here indicate to me that similar to what befalls Tesla’s TMC, some folk’s brand “over enthusiasm” chases off legitimate and interested new parties (btw: at this early juncture, Rivian’s fan base should be welcoming evangelists & not arrogant).

Two auto publications I subscribe to provided the large battery/400mile info and there is no where on Rivian’s R1S web site that says anything more than 300+ (In fact, you combine Rivian’s purchase info plus the auto pub sites and you presume the 300+ will be 400, not 300).

Thus, how would a potential buyer easily know that the large battery option for the R1S is currently vaporware?

I’m out.....

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I’m going to respond one last time and then disengage from this OP & this site.

The response from you and others on here indicate to me that similar to what befalls Tesla’s TMC, some folk’s brand “over enthusiasm” chases off legitimate and interested new parties (btw: at this early juncture, Rivian’s fan base should be welcoming evangelists & not arrogant).

Two auto publications I subscribe to provided the large battery/400mile info and there is no where on Rivian’s R1S web site that says anything more than 300+ (In fact, you combine Rivian’s purchase info plus the auto pub sites and you presume the 300+ will be 400, not 300).

Thus, how would a potential buyer easily know that the large battery option for the R1S is currently vaporware?

I’m out.....
First page & panel of the R1S info:
Range
Across the hottest and coldest places — from 130F to -25F — our battery system has been developed to give you the confidence to explore. We are launching with our seven seat, 300+ mile range R1S. After launch, we’ll announce the timing of our 250+ mile and longer range R1S, also with seven seats.³

And apparently Rivians strategy of encouraging magazines to provide misinformation has backfired (at least with one person). I actually don't understand the theory that this practice would benefit them at all.

S Fan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
a Few
Occupation
Old
First page & panel of the R1S info:
Range
Across the hottest and coldest places — from 130F to -25F — our battery system has been developed to give you the confidence to explore. We are launching with our seven seat, 300+ mile range R1S. After launch, we’ll announce the timing of our 250+ mile and longer range R1S, also with seven seats.³

And apparently Rivians strategy of encouraging magazines to provide misinformation has backfired (at least with one person). I actually don't understand the theory that this practice would benefit them at all.
yup, given the info out there, I guess I just tied in 300+ as selectable at ordering to 400.

If one is fooled perhaps you have to assume that there will be more, particularly since there are no retail locations to connect with.

In any event, I just cancelled my order.

FWIW: remember, you folks should be acting as evangelists and be welcoming of folks since they just won’t have your info at hand.

5+ years ago I received a very early vin Tesla Model X. I spent a considerable amount of time answering questions (even the “dumb” ones) to provide potential buyers with the info they would need to gauge appropriateness for their needs.

This site and its members should do the same.

In any event, a $1,000 back in my pocket and one less sale for Rivian.
Sponsored