Home lifts that work?!

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
I have the 7000, about a 100 lbs each. Sucked until I finally made myself get in shape. Now not bad at all. I use the wall holders and stay nicely out of way and have rolling cainet for the main hydraulic pump so works great for me. Also got for about a $1k back on Black Friday in 2019 so convinced me to make the plunge.
That's what made me finally break down and buy mine too.
Sponsored

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
I was finally able to try my QuickJacks this past weekend. I only could lift to the lowest lock setting in my garage, and once you get them positioned correctly they work ok. I did have to use the SUV/Truck adapters with the Rivian Jack pucks, the standard rubber lift blocks compressed more than I was comfortable with. The side to side motion does create a weird lifting motion. I might try to find a way to allow the tires to slide easier on the floor next time. Also I did have to use the frame extensions (interestingly, the rear jack points are further apart than the fronts).

Rivian R1T R1S Home lifts that work?! 20230211_213436253_iOS

Rivian R1T R1S Home lifts that work?! 20230211_213429027_iOS

Sorry didn't get a full video, was trying to film and lift myself, while watching the garage door open above and making things were square below.

csharp

First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Clubs

I was finally able to try my QuickJacks this past weekend. I only could lift to the lowest lock setting in my garage, and once you get them positioned correctly they work ok. I did have to use the SUV/Truck adapters with the Rivian Jack pucks, the standard rubber lift blocks compressed more than I was comfortable with. The side to side motion does create a weird lifting motion. I might try to find a way to allow the tires to slide easier on the floor next time. Also I did have to use the frame extensions (interestingly, the rear jack points are further apart than the fronts).

20230211_213436253_iOS.jpg

20230211_213429027_iOS.jpg

Sorry didn't get a full video, was trying to film and lift myself, while watching the garage door open above and making things were square below.
What is your reasoning for lifting side to side instead of front to back? I've never seen them used to the side like that.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I've never seen quickjacks used that way before. do they not fit under the frame rails?

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
What is your reasoning for lifting side to side instead of front to back? I've never seen them used to the side like that.
I've never seen quickjacks used that way before. do they not fit under the frame rails?
The jack points are too far apart front to back. This is the alternative lifting method QuickJacks recommend for these situations, but it does make some weird lifting dynamics until the suspension has fully drooped out. I used tire change mode to lift the suspension to the highest and keep it from adjusting, but it was still hard to get the jack/adapter stack to stay lined up. I had to go down and up a few times to adjust as things moved. Once it was all positioned correctly though, it was perfectly stable.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
Makes sense. Surprised they don't have a larger one that would actually work yet.
I measured the points to be 82" apart front to back, the longest QuickJack that will support 7000 lbs is 66" (same as mine with extensions). Will have more freedom for jack placements with plastic underbody panels removed or sliders. Definitely is more stable the farther apart you place the jack points though.

timgradywy

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, XC40 Recharge, CTS-V2, Triumph TR6.
I had a BendPak HD-9XW, HD-7P, and HD-9TG in my last workshop. All had 100" of rise which meant you could walk or drive under them in a SUV without worrying about hitting anything. If I had the space, I'd do these 4-post lifts again in a heartbeat. They give you a bit more room to work than a 2-post and with 2x RJ4500, you can still do easy tire changes. Not cheap, but super useful. To me, a 4-post lift also seems a LOT more secure when you're pounding away on something or trying to get 200-300 ft-lbf of torque on a big bolt/nut...

Now, I've gone with a MaxJax. These are portable 2-post mid-rise lifts. The new ones are rated to 7,000 lbs. I wanted something I could easily relocate to gain more space since my new garage is a lot smaller than my old workshop. I'll try these out on my R1T when it arrives.
https://www.maxjax.com/maxjax/

Tim

jollyroger

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, R1T
Occupation
IT Manager
LOL.. true!

I'd get my Rivian card taken away by a mob of granola-chewing, Patagonia-wearing Yetis..

Like this exhaust should :CWL:

Rivian.jpg
Oh man :facepalm:

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
I measured the points to be 82" apart front to back, the longest QuickJack that will support 7000 lbs is 66" (same as mine with extensions). Will have more freedom for jack placements with plastic underbody panels removed or sliders. Definitely is more stable the farther apart you place the jack points though.
I have a QuickJack with the frame extensions and truck adapters like you, but I find it's quicker and much easier lifting the Rivian at each corner with a 3 ton jack to change wheels than navigating the QuickJack to lift it sideways. The QuickJack is not that useful on the Rivian since there's practically nothing under-body to work on, not like ICE vehicles where you need to work on exhaust, transmission, engine, or oil changes. You can do it all one corner at a time with a 3-ton jack.

Sponsored

strykerwsu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy SS, Ford Bronco, Ram Rebel, Ford Flex, G8

20230211_213436253_iOS.jpg

I don’t have extensions but glad to see it works. I’m hopeful sliders allow the more traditional lift, but won’t be Guinea pig lol

computertom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Bronco Raptor, '80 911 SC
I’ve got a Mohawk A-7 in my garage. Seems the weights around the Internet range from 6,950 to 7,150 or so. This is a 7,000 lb lift and lifts everything be thrown at it with ease, but I have zero plans to put the R1T on it. Not like I’m doing oil changes or working on the suspension…. I’ll just do a wheel at a time if I keep it long enough to do a 5 wheel rotation.

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
I have a QuickJack with the frame extensions and truck adapters like you, but I find it's quicker and much easier lifting the Rivian at each corner with a 3 ton jack to change wheels than navigating the QuickJack to lift it sideways. The QuickJack is not that useful on the Rivian since there's practically nothing under-body to work on, not like ICE vehicles where you need to work on exhaust, transmission, engine, or oil changes. You can do it all one corner at a time with a 3-ton jack.
I definitely agree that it would be faster to do a 5 tire rotation using a conventional jack, and there is very little that you would need to raise the whole truck for. I was just curious to see if it could be done, and now I know if I need to do it I can.

Dzsink

First Name
Zoltan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model s 100D and Toyota Prius v3
Occupation
Manufacturing Engineer
Most things like that are engineered and built with a safety factor of 2-3 meaning they have been tested to hold 2-3 times their “working load limit”. If those quickjacks are rated at 7k lbs, there’s a good chance they can hold over 7 tons under perfect conditions. I’m not the kinda guy who likes to try and prove the engineers wrong, but I think you’d be just fine lifting the R1 with those things. Don’t forget to CYA and use jackstands like strykerwsu pointed.
Safety factor is for reason and isn't for regularl breach of lift limit. Regularly going over the maximum limit will cause premature wear and possible fatigue in components.
Sponsored