Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

Why is everyone trying to use a screw driver? You all dont have spare change in your vehicle?? Pennies, quarters, dimes and nickels all do the trick just fine
No such thing as "spare" change in my life. Only change that hasn't made it's way into the bowl on the dresser.

Leatherman FTW! My EDC:

Rivian R1T R1S Hitch cover DIY mod.  Ditch the screwdriver! 1688269376258

Now that I think about it, every R1T should come with one.
Sponsored

The_Frog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, MS
PSA: I was about to buy 4 (reducing the odds of me messing up more than 2...) and total w/ shipping came to $18.18.

A pair of similar ones (no cut required) is $14.12 w/shipping here: https://opensourceev.com/products/hitch-cover-thumbscrew-v2-pair

And yes:

1- This is still way overpriced for 2 (or 4) little bits of plastic, but they solve a *critical* first-world problem
2- I am cheap

OP
OP
Kuro-Rivian

Kuro-Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1969 BMW 2002
PSA: I was about to buy 4 (reducing the odds of me messing up more than 2...) and total w/ shipping came to $18.18.

A pair of similar ones (no cut required) is $14.12 w/shipping here: https://opensourceev.com/products/hitch-cover-thumbscrew-v2-pair

And yes:

1- This is still way overpriced for 2 (or 4) little bits of plastic, but they solve a *critical* first-world problem
2- I am cheap
1 - I helped RWerkssman find those to put in his store. He orders them in bulk to push down the price and he's definitely not making a killing by any means.

2 - Nothing wrong with that!

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T

And yes:

2- I am cheap
To be upfront about this - the last order of these was nearly $1 more expensive per bolt than the first order that I did, despite ordering way more. That means that my total profit per pair is just over a buck. These, unfortunately, aren't sold by McMaster -- they are a call-in-to-order deal only, and sort of priced accordingly, which I agree totally sucks. :( They are however made in the USA, which I appreciate.

Shipping on OpenSourceEV is a function of how far you are from me and weight. I've seen charges under $4 for folks who live rather close to me. It's USPS commercial base + $0.75 for my shipping supplies and whatnot. My guess is that you could add a few more items in your cart and have the exact same shipping charge.

I am also cheap, and I absolutely hear where you're coming from. :) If there was more I could, I really would.

The_Frog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, MS
@RWerksman I was in no way questioning your pricing/margin rationale. In fact, you're cheaper than the other guy :)

My "overpriced" comment was more based on the items themselves (ie "two tiny bits of plastic") and not so much on the all-in cost for the buyer. I am running an online store on the side myself and things do add up really quickly by the time it gets to the buyer, esp. for items at that price point.

Sponsored

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

I was planning on purchasing these until I realized my key fob was the perfect tool/thickness to undo the stock ones. Will buy them if I stop carrying that around though.

Wing

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch Edition LG/OC 20-inch
I just designed my own with a larger handle so it is easier to turn the knob.

Rivian R1T R1S Hitch cover DIY mod.  Ditch the screwdriver! PXL_20240218_000838091

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I was planning on purchasing these until I realized my key fob was the perfect tool/thickness to undo the stock ones. Will buy them if I stop carrying that around though.
A penny works just fine to undo mine.

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
@RWerksman I was in no way questioning your pricing/margin rationale. In fact, you're cheaper than the other guy :)

My "overpriced" comment was more based on the items themselves (ie "two tiny bits of plastic") and not so much on the all-in cost for the buyer. I am running an online store on the side myself and things do add up really quickly by the time it gets to the buyer, esp. for items at that price point.
I actually have some slight good news here - I'm trying to pull the per unit price down somewhat. If I can pull it off, it'll be in the next newsletter, hopefully mid next week.

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

I took my cover off the first time I needed to use the hitch months ago and haven't put it back on since. Not even sure where I set it.
Ha! I'm looking for mine now after 2 years....

Sponsored

NeedyTortellini

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Staff Systems Engineer
Clubs

Ha! I'm looking for mine now after 2 years....
Lucky.... I just bought my R1T (third party) a couple of weeks ago and my hitch cover fell off going down the highway. Working with Rivian service to get a replacement.

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
I actually have some slight good news here - I'm trying to pull the per unit price down somewhat. If I can pull it off, it'll be in the next newsletter, hopefully mid next week.
After a bit of back and forth, I've been able to secure a large amount of the injection molded thumbscrews and at more favorable terms. They are once again available to ship, now for a buck or two less -- $6.95 for a pair.

Available here: https://opensourceev.com/products/hitch-cover-thumbscrew-v2-pair