Sponsored

Has anyone needed to replace a cracked windshield?

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

Had mine replaced at Denver SC as well. Pretty good experience. They performed a number of other minor repairs as well. The process was to submit a claim with my insurance then make sure that they know the Rivian SC has to handle it. There was some back and forth with the insurer as they figured out what Rivian is. After the repair, I submitted the invoice for reimbursement.
Sponsored

mohab

First Name
MOHAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500 LongHorn , Challenger Scat pack, BMW X3
Occupation
PHARMACIST
Huh, I noticed same issue after my windshield was replaced but wasn’t sure if that was something I was just doing wrong.
It was working before they replace it , manual windshield sitting in Riviana is quit annoying. and it is summer in Florida so it rains every day

Zybane

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Raptor 37
Occupation
Military Pilot
one thing to add , after they replace it there is new wind whistle sound at certain speed
Yup, that is a routine problem when replacing windshields. If they don't get it aligned just perfectly and/or the sealant isn't the proper thickness/depth, it will whistle/make noise until the next replacement.

jollyroger

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, R1T
Occupation
IT Manager
Sounds like the dump truck company should be on the hook...
i know in California, if the debris hits the ground, before it hits the vehicle, it’s considered road hazard. In order for the other vehicle to be liable. It would have to arch from the truck and strike your vehicle without hitting the ground first.

Sponsored

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

I picked up a nice windshield star about three weeks into ownership. I used a DIY repair kit (Rain-X) and did it myself. Perfect? No, but close enough, especially in Colorado where a rock hit is not at all uncommon. I'll wait for a bigger issue before replacing. Even if "free" (as in through insurance), I also prefer to not have a third party R&Ring a windscreen.

I did ask at the local Rivian Service Center anyway though, they said they had already replaced several and they were not a hassle to get (not at that time anyway).

windshield repair - 1.jpeg
Neat. Did you get this kit online? It would be good to have something like that in the truck. I’m also in colorado and know that once you get that chip, time is of the essence.

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

Having driven on chip and seal gravel roads for 20 years now and not having a single chip, you all have me worried lol

Is there any preventative things that can be done? IE any type of coating applied, or specific insurance that should be had to reduce the pain on the wallet if this does happen?
I'd like to be proactive as soon as I get my R1S

OP
OP
Akay07

Akay07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mache
i know in California, if the debris hits the ground, before it hits the vehicle, it’s considered road hazard. In order for the other vehicle to be liable. It would have to arch from the truck and strike your vehicle without hitting the ground first.
Which is what happened in this cas. But was I have no idea who the trucking company is and trying to prove it.

jollyroger

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, R1T
Occupation
IT Manager
Which is what happened in this cas. But was I have no idea who the trucking company is and trying to prove it.
Sorry if this has been said before, but do the cameras on the R1T act as a sort of dashcam when driving?

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Sorry if this has been said before, but do the cameras on the R1T act as a sort of dashcam when driving?
I believe they will be activated to work as such in a future update.

Sponsored

pfbz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (ordered), F150, Q5, 911 Turbo(s)
Neat. Did you get this kit online? It would be good to have something like that in the truck. I’m also in colorado and know that once you get that chip, time is of the essence.
Lots of similar kits, but this is the one I picked up. As I said, not perfect, but I don't notice it unless looking for it. Now mine was on the passenger side, if it was dead center in front of the driver, might bother me more.

Zybane

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Raptor 37
Occupation
Military Pilot
I keep two windshield repair kits in my Jeep Gladiator glovebox. If I get a chip or crack, I pull over immediately to get the epoxy in there.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I keep two windshield repair kits in my Jeep Gladiator glovebox. If I get a chip or crack, I pull over immediately to get the epoxy in there.
That's a great idea. Nothing worse than feeling helpless as you drive home and that crack gets bigger and bigger by the minute.

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

Huh, I noticed same issue after my windshield was replaced but wasn’t sure if that was something I was just doing wrong.
Wow, unbelievable. Goes to show there's no quality control. Keep us updated on what the resolution was. It's been 2 weeks and I'm still not scheduled for it to be repaired.

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 20 Cummins, 05 Jeep LJR, 22 Range Rover Sport
I just went and checked my policy. I have full windshield replacement no deductible. That makes me a little more comfortable.
Sponsored