Sponsored

Has anyone needed to replace a cracked windshield?

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

I keep two windshield repair kits in my Jeep Gladiator glovebox. If I get a chip or crack, I pull over immediately to get the epoxy in there.
If only there was a glovebox in the Rivian. Sounds handy.;)
Sponsored

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Not liking all of the reports of these damaged windshields for an adventure vehicle...

Especially when the price is 2-3x the cost of a regular cars windshield, insurance is surely to go up for Rivian owners.
Wranglers flat windshields get replaced all the time. They are a crater magnet. At least they're only $200-300.

Sponsored

Zybane

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Raptor 37
Occupation
Military Pilot
And it's only on one side so it still chips to hell. Just get the cheap one and replace it often.
Yup. There is some aftermarket windshield that apparently isn't too expensive and lasts longer than both the OEM regular soda glass and Gorilla Glass versions. I forget the name. Once my GG windshield is toast, I'm going to try that.

R1T.NC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 R1T, 2022 C8, 2019 Ram,1967 RT
Occupation
Automotive
Clubs

I had mine replaced last week at the Richmond, VA Service Center....I paid $1764.13 for the windshield replacement (2X4 off a trailer)…now I have to submit the invoice to Nationwide/Rivian Insurance for reimbursement (less deductible). Nationwide gave me the option of a Rivian "approved" body shop or the service center for the replacement, the body shop was 2 hours away, service center 3.5 and they could take care of a few minor issues I was having.

Service Center provided a rental and got all of the issues resolved...ended up leaving the R1T with them about a week and picked it up on Tuesday. I agree it seems like jumping through hoops at times to get things accomplished with Rivian and while I wish it were "better", at times I think this is part of the price for being at the front of the line as customers...not giving Rivian a pass on poor customer service (if you've experienced it) but I guess I'm not that surprised that there have been and will continue to be glitches as they work through the processes.

Still puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.....

OP
OP
Akay07

Akay07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mache
I had mine replaced last week at the Richmond, VA Service Center....I paid $1764.13 for the windshield replacement (2X4 off a trailer)…now I have to submit the invoice to Nationwide/Rivian Insurance for reimbursement (less deductible). Nationwide gave me the option of a Rivian "approved" body shop or the service center for the replacement, the body shop was 2 hours away, service center 3.5 and they could take care of a few minor issues I was having.

Service Center provided a rental and got all of the issues resolved...ended up leaving the R1T with them about a week and picked it up on Tuesday. I agree it seems like jumping through hoops at times to get things accomplished with Rivian and while I wish it were "better", at times I think this is part of the price for being at the front of the line as customers...not giving Rivian a pass on poor customer service (if you've experienced it) but I guess I'm not that surprised that there have been and will continue to be glitches as they work through the processes.

Still puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.....
Thanks for sharing and gives me a little hope. How was the repair work with the windshield? Any extra wind noises after repair?

R1T.NC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Automotive
Clubs

No issues at all...seems like they did a great job on all of the "issues" I had them address. The most noticeable improvement was the service on the passenger "vent glass" (known issue)...made a huge improvement in cabin sound/noise.

So far...all good

OP
OP
Akay07

Akay07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mache
No issues at all...seems like they did a great job on all of the "issues" I had them address. The most noticeable improvement was the service on the passenger "vent glass" (known issue)...made a huge improvement in cabin sound/noise.

So far...all good
What's your vin range? Trying to see if that could be where my wind noise is coming from and to add that to my ticket

Sponsored

R1T.NC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Automotive
Clubs

I’m in the 2800 range

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

they replaced mine, now auto windshield wipers not working, waiting for them to call back
Update: They fixed my rain sensor yesterday and the auto wipers work again. This was a mobile service. It was a quick fix that involved them resetting the sensor unit using their diagnostic computer. Hopefully it stays fixed…

Last edited:

diz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Update: They fixed my rain sensor yesterday and the auto wipers work again. This was a mobile service. It was a quick fix that involved them resetting the sensor unit using their diagnostic computer. Hopefully it stays fixed…

That’s good to hear! I had mine replace a couple weeks ago (semi lug nut). Super straight forward, ATL service center was awesome, and very accommodating. The only thing was the auto wipers not working. Makes you realize how inconvenient the switch is to change speeds of the wipers.

seatosummit

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '87 LJ70, 73' Porsche 914 (EV Conversion)
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

Thanks for sharing and gives me a little hope. How was the repair work with the windshield? Any extra wind noises after repair?
In the exact same situation.

Dropped the truck off this morning in SF.

Elected to not take their offer for a rental as I still have my Land Cruiser.

In addition to the windshield they will fix a passenger window trim issue, adjust the alignment of the frunk that is impeding proper (auto) closure and rotate the tires.

The quote for the glass was a big surprise. Seems crazy expensive.

easy process with insurance reimbursement?

zymolysis

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T [RUS, PTC (upgraded), 20"] 2008 Ford E350
Occupation
third party service
Clubs

In the exact same situation.

Dropped the truck off this morning in SF.

Elected to not take their offer for a rental as I still have my Land Cruiser.

In addition to the windshield they will fix a passenger window trim issue, adjust the alignment of the frunk that is impeding proper (auto) closure and rotate the tires.

The quote for the glass was a big surprise. Seems crazy expensive.

easy process with insurance reimbursement?
For that much money, it ought to be Gorilla Glass.
Sponsored