Half Shaft / CV Joint Noise

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Well, the tick tock has become a clunk/clink at highway speeds getting on and off acclerator...anyone else? Might be time for the service call.
Sponsored

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
Well, the tick tock has become a clunk/clink at highway speeds getting on and off acclerator...anyone else? Might be time for the service call.
Might be! I took mine in and recieved grease and two new bolts.

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
@R1Tom I had a CV boot failure at roughly 5,000 miles, Rivian did replace the whole rear axle in response to it. I noticed a slight vibration of the steering wheel while driving at high speed, but I can't say that that's exactly related to the CV boot.

I feel like the CV joints are a definite problem with the vehicle, to what degree I cannot say, but I feel that this is a common theme more so than I've experienced with my other vehicles based on reading posts like this.

Reactions: Jac

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Volvo XC40, Honda VFR1200X
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Nobody is more excited than me about finally getting my R1S delivered at some point toward the end of next year, but I have to admit this apparently pervasive CV/half shaft tocking sound and several documented failures is worrisome. Rivian’s current “fix” of adding more grease and lack of acknowledgement/cause explanation for an obviously common concern on new $80,000 R1 vehicles isn’t reassuring either.

The only positive of having to wait another year for my R1S is I get to see how correction of the CV/Half Shaft issue plays out from the sidelines.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Might be! I took mine in and recieved grease and two new bolts.
did that fix the clunking/tick tock/spline creak at initial acceleration?

Sponsored

CGM55082

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
PR
Rivian replaced my halfshafts and drive unit due to the clicking/tocking. The service center even sent my truck to Rivian's Engineering facility so they could do a deep dive into it. I have the truck back now, but it still has some tocking -- I'd say it's reduced by about 60 percent. They said some tocking is normal due to drivetrain lash, but I'm dubious.

I do appreciate that Rivian took it seriously and did what they could to resolve it. However, I think there is a larger design/engineering problem that needs to be addressed. I'm sure Rivian will find a fix and issue a recall at some point in the future. The truck is under warranty for six years, so for now I'm happy to turn the radio up and continue driving it.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Rivian offers a generous factory warranty. The CV joint/half shaft noises will definitely be covered by Rivian once engineering finds a solution.
  • Comprehensive: The cost of all parts and labor necessary for any defective materials are covered for 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first
  • Battery Pack: Coverage includes all components inside the high-voltage battery and 70% or more of the battery capacity for 8 years or 175,000 miles, whichever comes first
  • Drivetrain: Coverage includes the drivetrain and components for 8 years or 175,000 miles, whichever comes first

R1Thrilled

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T El Cap, 20" AT
My truck is in for service and one of the items I asked them to address is the tocking/clunking. They called me and explained that it is normal drivetrain lash, to which I brought up the fact that some service centers for some people are addressing the issue and some aren't, and that the inconsistencies are frustrating but understandable as the company probably doesn't want to shell out thousands of dollars per vehicle.

My plan is to just deal with it until some actual failure happens.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
If the "tocking" is "normal" then Rivian should put in in the Owners Manual to keep SC appointments to a minimum. Let's see them do that.. they will be the laughing stock of automotive manufacturers...

Sponsored

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Rivian offers a generous factory warranty. The CV joint/half shaft noises will definitely be covered by Rivian once engineering finds a solution.
  • Comprehensive: The cost of all parts and labor necessary for any defective materials are covered for 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first
  • Battery Pack: Coverage includes all components inside the high-voltage battery and 70% or more of the battery capacity for 8 years or 175,000 miles, whichever comes first
  • Drivetrain: Coverage includes the drivetrain and components for 8 years or 175,000 miles, whichever comes first
Unless they call it “normal,” like Tesla does all the time…. Got vibrating refreshed Model S half shafts? Most do - “Normal”….

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
^ and Tesla owners are calling BS on it being "normal" too....

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
^ and Tesla owners are calling BS on it being "normal" too....
Yep, and i’m one - speaking from experience here. So far, it has had zero effect.

schwartz83

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Manager
Now that it's gotten cold in Minnesota all of my squeaks, tocks, and lashing noises have gone away. Anyone else in freezing climates in the same boat? It was very noticeable before and the noises are entirely gone now.
Sponsored