Sponsored

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
For those looking to upgrade to a dual motor or max pack, you may be curious to know that Rivian is offering roughly $69.5K for a year old Launch Edition R1S with 22K miles.

Sometimes there is a state sales tax credit available when trading in to a dealer as part of a new car sale, but I don't know if that applies to Rivian, given that they aren't officially a local dealer. So perhaps in this case there is no advantage to trading it in, aside from convenience.
Sponsored

Last edited:

doit82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T
I presume it is like tesla and in that case i did receive a tax break trading my 3 for a Y a couple years ago in VT.

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
Sometimes there is a state sales tax credit available when trading in to a dealer as part of a new car sale, but I don't know if that applies to Rivian, given that they aren't officially a local dealer. So perhaps in this case there is no advantage to trading it in, aside from convenience.
You will get trade-in sales tax credit if your state support it. It's not Rivian specific.

OP
OP
NineElectrics

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
You will get trade-in sales tax credit if your state support it. It's not Rivian specific.
In some states you don’t get the credit for a private party sale. Because Rivian isn’t a dealer, are they private party?

Perhaps I would get a private party tax credit with anyone if I were bartering with them, or had an in-kind purchase through them. That would be nice.

Redmond Chad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (LG, FE, 20"), Tesla Model X
Clubs

For those looking to upgrade to a dual motor or max pack, you may be curious to know that Rivian is offering roughly $69.5K for a year old Launch Edition R1S with 22K miles.
Thanks for the info - for I too have a Launch Edition R1S and have considered trading it in for a max pack...but Rivian won't give me a trade-in value unless I buy the new car first.

That quote is making me want to stick with my current vehicle.

Sometimes there is a state sales tax credit available when trading in to a dealer as part of a new car sale, but I don't know if that applies to Rivian, given that they aren't officially a local dealer.
I'm in Washington, which has such a credit. When I bought the R1S I got the credit for trading in my Model Y.

Sponsored

OP
OP
NineElectrics

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Thanks for the info - for I too have a Launch Edition R1S and have considered trading it in for a max pack...but Rivian won't give me a trade-in value unless I buy the new car first.
Exactly. You have to give Rivian $1000, which is non-refundable, before they will even give you the trade-in quote. Even my evil local dealerships won’t make me do that.

OP
OP
NineElectrics

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I'm in Washington, which has such a credit. When I bought the R1S I got the credit for trading in my Model Y.
I suppose it doesn’t matter for cheaper leases: if the lease payments total less than $45K, WA doesn’t charge sales tax on an EV lease. I wonder what happens to the credit then.

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
In some states you don’t get the credit for a private party sale. Because Rivian isn’t a dealer, are they private party?

Perhaps I would get a private party tax credit with anyone if I were bartering with them, or had an in-kind purchase through them. That would be nice.
Not an issue. A Rivian sale is not a private party sale. You get full tax credit for a trade-in if it's included in a sale.

Tr4ckD4ys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Clubs

Is nobody going to mention anything about the horrid depreciation on these things?

Sponsored

Tr4ckD4ys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Clubs

It's an expensive vehicle so of course there is a steep depreciation. Go look at Mercedes, BMW, Audi, etc. But $69k for a year old vehicle isn't too bad.
I think it’s bad. At least in my books, having extensive experience with the brands you’re referring to. Lucky I don’t need to worry about that for at least 5 years (which is the minimum time I’m planning on keeping the vehicle).

High-priced BMWs depreciate on average 17-23% in Year 1 and about 40-50% by year 5. So the Rivian is a good chunk worse than that.

OP
OP
NineElectrics

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
It's an expensive vehicle so of course there is a steep depreciation. Go look at Mercedes, BMW, Audi, etc. But $69k for a year old vehicle isn't too bad.
For reference, this car cost $77,450 new. To buy it today, though, would cost $94,500. So we're at 74% of replacement cost.

Last edited:

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
$69.5 isn't a bad value if you are a pre-price hike owner looking to trade in. Definitely a sh** deal if you bought a year ago at $90-95k.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

$69.5 isn't a bad value if you are a pre-price hike owner looking to trade in. Definitely a sh** deal if you bought a year ago at $90-95k.
I don't really think so actually or at least I don't agree. Any vehicle will lose 20% of it's value in the first year and this one has high miles for a 1 year old car. Then remember they are not giving retail value for trade-ins.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I think it’s bad. At least in my books, having extensive experience with the brands you’re referring to. Lucky I don’t need to worry about that for at least 5 years (which is the minimum time I’m planning on keeping the vehicle).

High-priced BMWs depreciate on average 17-23% in Year 1 and about 40-50% by year 5. So the Rivian is a good chunk worse than that.
Are the high priced BMWs the value of the car or the dealer trade in. Don't forget this is like a dealer trade in and it's 27% depreciation after a year. Private party probably would be close to 20-23%.
Sponsored