Sponsored

For those who got R1S (or R1T) at original approximately $78k would you buy one for new price of approximately $93k?

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

I paid less for my Rivian R1T with pre-order pricing than I did in 2015 for a Tesla S70D. It was obviously a bargain. But it was also a gamble buying from an early stage EV company. I don't think I would have taken the risk if not for the discount, and would have waited until 2024 (or perhaps for the R2) for a platform that was either more mature or cheaper.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I would have liked to but I think it would push it out of my comfort zone. I'd still be driving my GTI/4Runner combo waiting for something similar and cheaper (maybe the R2)

popoga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG R1T, '18 Impreza, '10 Triumph Bonneville
Occupation
Potato Farmer
Clubs

No, 70+ is already too much for a toy, no matter how fun. I want to retire at some point, and buying lots of expensive toys isn't conducive to that goal :|

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
But do you think that would be any cheaper?
Absolutely not, look at the price of a Model X.

I will be surprised if the price of the Cybertruck is below 90 and if the initial builds are below 110k.

But hey, it will float for a period of time and can pull a near infinite amount of weight so there Is that.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

I can see the value in a post March order, but for me, and as others have touched on, I wouldn't be able to financially justify spending +130K CDN (my old quad max went from 117k to 152k) on a vehicle at this stage. If I was still working stateside (like when I ordered the Rivian back in '19) and making those sweet sweet 'Murikan dollars, then sure!

When the price increase email went out, I gave Rivian a grace period of a week to retract it, or find some middle ground for long term order holders. Even though the Quad Max I had been waiting on is no longer on the table, I am happy with the overall resolution to things, and think they did the right thing.

TLDR
Value is there, but you need to be able to financially justify dropping an extra 20-40k.

freshpow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
This thread has really devolved...so many of these answers are coming from a personal financial lens (e.g. $80k was already pushing it for my budget so NO, or I don't want to pay $95k for a toy...). These answers are useless IMO, and I say that as someone who is near the top end of his budget in buying the R1S at $80k.

It's a simple question. Just compare the value you're getting from your R1T/R1S to what else you could get for $95k on the market. I have yet to see someone offer up another vehicle in the $90-$100k range that they would prefer.

LTD in CBTS

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, Tesla Model 3, Vespa 300, R1T
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I would pay the update price. It is still cheaper than my wife's Model X and the R1T is way more fun to drive and much cooler looking. If I was not retired and still worried about putting kids to college and paying off a house maybe not but I am past all that and now it is time to enjoy the fruits of my labors.

ADVNOW

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wrangler JK, JL 4XE
Occupation
Manufacturing
Clubs

I would, for the price even today the truck preforms like no other. and if you look at the pricing of today s truck in a similar trim level, well your going to be right there. the raptor is priced 80 to 100k and the R1T out performs it (minus the jumping.) the Ram TRX 93 to 130k. F150 lightening platinum is 90k+.

The R1T is a very well executed swiss army knife of a truck. With the software updates it keeps getting better, my F150 before was exactly same the day I bought it as it was when I sold it. no software or capability improvements.

Sponsored

RoadRunner

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner, Audi A6
Clubs

It's a simple question. Just compare the value you're getting from your R1T/R1S to what else you could get for $95k on the market. I have yet to see someone offer up another vehicle in the $90-$100k range that they would prefer.
That actually wasn't the question. The question was:
For those who have taken delivery of R1S at original approximately $78k would you buy one for new price of approximately $93k? Awkwardly asking if you love the R1S enough to have paid the new price.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

This thread has really devolved...so many of these answers are coming from a personal financial lens (e.g. $80k was already pushing it for my budget so NO, or I don't want to pay $95k for a toy...). These answers are useless IMO, and I say that as someone who is near the top end of his budget in buying the R1S at $80k.

I second this. Even the price fixation comment doesn't make much since because many of us were on board before prices were announced.

Even with the financial lense, I would not randomly drop 100k on a vehicle. However we had 2.5 years notice and I started saving then. My price point was 100k that I was saving for, so getting it at 80k pre tax credits was great for me. But 93k would still have been under my threshold.

And as people have stated, there aren't any alternatives in the EV sector that can meet my needs.

freshpow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
That actually wasn't the question. The question was:
Wow - thanks for the value add! My point was that answers regarding one's personal financial situation are not useful answers, whatsoever, as everyone's financial situation is different.

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
I would buy an R1T post price increase. EVs are expensive - premium EVs like BMW, Audi, MB, and Porsche are more expensive with less range/less performance than Rivians. Tesla has nothing comparable to Rivian, and top trim Lightnings are just as expensive. As of right now, Rivian R1Ts are still in a class by themselves.

Harvest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, Rivian R1T Adventure Forest Green
Occupation
agriculture
I love my R1T but that extra $15-20k price would have priced me out. Just could not have justified that at this time. Maybe in a few years I'd have been able to afford it. Even now it was a bit of a stretch to buy it at $75k, but with the tax credit, maintenance savings, and especially fuel savings, I figured the savings accumulated over 100,000 miles made it equivalent to buying a $50,000 ICE truck which was about as high as I would have gone with a conventional vehicle. However, I do think the R1T is comparable to other luxury or semi-luxury truck models in the $90-100k price range.
Sponsored