Sponsored

Expected R1S information

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S
I might still end up with a Buzz, when they eventually roll out, depending on how cool the actual production version is (compared to the flashy but not likely to remain features on the concept). They are talking about a "family seating" variant, where four seats in back face towards each other, so you can have everyone gathered around a table.
VW leans towards form with disappointing substance.
Sponsored

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

VW leans towards form with disappointing substance.
I think they did a pretty good job with the Id.4 all things considered and they've done a good job getting their MEB platform to market before any other legacy automakers thanks to their diesel gate apology tour. I would not scoff at the level of investment that VW has put into their electric future. Especially looking at QuantumScape as potentially bringing the first SS battery tech to market for an EV maker.

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S
I think they did a pretty good job with the Id.4 all things considered and they've done a good job getting their MEB platform to market before any other legacy automakers thanks to their diesel gate apology tour. I would not scoff at the level of investment that VW has put into their electric future. Especially looking at QuantumScape as potentially bringing the first SS battery tech to market for an EV maker.
The id4 is an electric Honda CRX. Perfectly functional, perfectly fine. But not really a "plan b" vs. Rivian. And while I own shares in Quantumscape, I don't think they're any closer than any other manufacturer to a marketable solid state solution. As Fisker pointed out, the last 10% of the path to commercially viable solid state takes 90% of the effort. Everyone is "close."

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
I wouldn't say over estimating as much as trying to remain optimistic based on it's overall dimensions in comparison to some other ICE vehicles.
There are also some benefits more easily achieved going electric that CAN create additional space where others cannot. Ex. Earlier Tahoe's that did not have IRS which drastically reduced the floor space in the 3rd row.
Whether this advantage is realized or filled with battery cells, or not taken advantage of I cannot say.

I have serious concerns over whether it will fulfill what I need as a 7 person family hauler, but I am waiting to make that judgment until sitting in and installing some car seats.
I think we are all trying to be optimistic about Rivian in some form or another.

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

From what I've read there will be 2 options from VW (at least) that will likely hit roads in '23: the Buzz (awful name but cool concept) and the ID.8 which will be similar to the Atlas. I'd expect price points for both to be in the $50k range.
The Buzz really seems like the best option for a 7 seat family hauler out of any electric vehicles that have been "announced", but at this point it might as well be vapourware and who knows what all is going to change before it gets released.
The ID.8 will be smaller than the R1S if it is the same size as the Atlas.

Cautiously optimistic for the R1S as it is such a beautiful vehicle but in reality I may be having to wait another couple of years for one that fits the family.

Sponsored

RIV206

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜23 R1S, '23 Model Y
Clubs

If you can use a 7500 tax credit fully and you just need a car now... go get a 40kw leaf. It'll get the job done for 6 months and you can sell it. After the credit you'll only loose a few grand.

Otherwise Volvo, Cadillac, and many others will rent you a car with a 6 month minimum for a very fair price via car subscriptions.
Also swapalease.com... I picked up an X3 with 10 months left on it for super cheap there and the previous owner even gave me a $1000 incentive. Depending on what you can find it's a great option to hold you over for a year or less.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
My understanding is Gear Guard is Rivian's Sentry mode. I don't see that in R1S description. Does that mean it is R1T only? or we get the camera recording under a different name in R1S? Can you guys shed some light on this for me?

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

My understanding is Gear Guard is Rivian's Sentry mode. I don't see that in R1S description. Does that mean it is R1T only? or we get the camera recording under a different name in R1S? Can you guys shed some light on this for me?
Considering the head unit is the same and the cameras will be there, I would be willing to bet there is no way that some sort of Sentry mode won't be available on the R1S.

It would make no sense from a software and upkeep standpoint to develop and maintain two systems, so my money is on it being identical as the R1T minus any bits pertaining to the gear tunnel.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Considering the head unit is the same and the cameras will be there, I would be willing to bet there is no way that some sort of Sentry mode won't be available on the R1S.

It would make no sense from a software and upkeep standpoint to develop and maintain two systems, so my money is on it being identical as the R1T minus any bits pertaining to the gear tunnel.
I agree, especially since R1S cost more. But it is strange that they list it as a feature that does not exist in a lower trim in R1T but they donā€™t list it at all in R1S. I wonder if it means it is standard on all trims so there is no point in listing it in a comparison chart,

Sponsored

KingofThorns

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lexus GX 460
Occupation
Attorney
Agreed, and thank you. I decided today to move forward with the Y for the reasons you described on resale and timeline. This Saturday is home delivery.
Any chance you can give us an update on the Model Y after you drive it for a bit? Iā€™m curious about drive, comfort, quality, and utilitarian use of it, especially as compared to the R1S. Iā€™ve considered the Model Y for a while now, but I havenā€™t really cared for the looks of the vehicle (personal preference).

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
There's a slight distinction to be made with the R1T. "Gear Guard" seems to be an ambiguous term, unfortunately. Originally it was being used to mean the security cable for gear stored in the bed (e.g. bikes, coolers, etc.). Now it seems like they're using it for a more general concept. I suspect the feature listing is still just referring to the original meaning of the cable. And obviously there's no need for the cable with the R1S because there's no exposed bed. Everything will be locked inside.

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

But it is strange that they list it as a feature that does not exist in a lower trim in R1T but they donā€™t list it at all in R1S.
Keep in mind very little has been updated on Rivian.com especially for the R1S.
The length listed has still not been corrected and there are many other little things as well.

Reactions: Max

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
Keep in mind very little has been updated on Rivian.com especially for the R1S.
The length listed has still not been corrected and there are many other little things as well.
Strange they didn't update the length when they recently updated the height.

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
šŸŒ²šŸŒ²R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird